Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't play a full year. He played 19 of 24 games, missing roughly 20% of the season.

However, he was also 22nd on a votes/game basis - which is independent of the number of games played. The reality is that there wasn't a whole lot of difference between 11th and 22nd in terms of votes/game. Mackay finished 22nd overall with 118 votes (6.2 per game), Jenkins finished 10th overall with 167 votes (6.96 per game).

To suggest that he was much worse than every other player, when you can throw a blanket over half the team (including Mackay), is an argument that just doesn't make sense.

However, if you want to compare him against his peers - Seedsman finished 25th, with 74 votes @ 4.93 per game; Henderson was 26th, with 35 votes @ 3.9 votes per game. This is why Henderson has been delisted, and Mackay is preferred ahead of Seedsman (I'm certain that BigFooty's ranking of these two would be reversed).
But 2016 was Mackays best year! And it was still mediocre.

I guess it may depend on how much control a head coach is willing to an give up to his assistant(s) I guess. Walsh may have told Campo who he wanted in while Sando and Pyke may let Campo have more of a say in who he wants in over his line.

Both Bucks and Chris Scott said on 360 that they've gone into selection meetings with a firm view on a player and come out with a different result. They scoffed at Robbo who implied that head coaches call the shots at selection.

2009 & 2010 for starters.

2016 was definitely better than 2015... but 2015 was the worst season of his career.
Wow so 2016 was his best season in six years and he was last man picked going by b&f results!

He is lucky he has a contract or he would be out the door with Griggy that is a horrendous record

Wow so 2016 was his best season in six years and he was last man picked going by b&f results!

He is lucky he has a contract or he would be out the door with Griggy that is a horrendous record
Not good that a senior player, with a 4-year contract, is the 21st or 22nd player selected. That much I will agree with. Giving him 4 years was a really, really, bad list management decision - it was always going to be 2 years too many.

Still a better option than Grigg, but not a great option.

Walsh was about to get rid of VB and Mackay, not CEY. The fact you defended VB and Mackay at all is more the issue;). And the 7-5 record is called short term pain long term gain something this club has shown little of before Walsh and since. I really hope Pyke does that this year or it will be more of the same s**t we have endured as fans for the last 19 years and counting, bar that bright 6 months of Walsh's tenure.

See these bullshit claims really give me the shits! How the * would you, me or anyone else on BigFooty know what Walsh was about to do. Fact is Walsh played VB and Mackay and selected CEY every chance he got. Those are cold hard facts! No guessing, no suspecting no nothing but cold hard facts. To claim anything else is just bending the truth more than a little. This is not a go only at you as you are not the only one that has made these unsubstantiated claims of what Walsh was about to do! No one knows. Everyone is guessing but one thing we all know is that Walsh picked those guys every chance he got. That is undisputed.

There is a time that end comes for every footballer and no doubt that at some point in time if he was still with us, Walsh would face that call of dropping VB and/or Mackay but all indications of his short time at the AFC that he considered them at that time to be in our best 22.

See these bullshit claims really give me the shits! How the **** would you, me or anyone else on BigFooty know what Walsh was about to do. Fact is Walsh played VB and Mackay and selected CEY every chance he got. Those are cold hard facts! No guessing, no suspecting no nothing but cold hard facts. To claim anything else is just bending the truth more than a little. This is not a go only at you as you are not the only one that has made these unsubstantiated claims of what Walsh was about to do! No one knows. Everyone is guessing but one thing we all know is that Walsh picked those guys every chance he got. That is undisputed.

There is a time that end comes for every footballer and no doubt that at some point in time if he was still with us, Walsh would face that call of dropping VB and/or Mackay but all indications of his short time at the AFC that he considered them at that time to be in our best 22.
Its on the record that Walsh had dropped VB after the Brisbane game isn't it.

He didn't play a full year. He played 19 of 24 games, missing roughly 20% of the season.

However, he was also 22nd on a votes/game basis - which is independent of the number of games played. The reality is that there wasn't a whole lot of difference between 11th and 22nd in terms of votes/game. Mackay finished 22nd overall with 118 votes (6.2 per game), Jenkins finished 10th overall with 167 votes (6.96 per game).

To suggest that he was much worse than every other player, when you can throw a blanket over half the team (including Mackay), is an argument that just doesn't make sense.

However, if you want to compare him against his peers - Seedsman finished 25th, with 74 votes @ 4.93 per game; Henderson was 26th, with 35 votes @ 3.9 votes per game. This is why Henderson has been delisted, and Mackay is preferred ahead of Seedsman (I'm certain that BigFooty's ranking of these two would be reversed).
Opinion still stands. he is an experienced player and going off historical outputs he will not be improving.

As people have said this year was far and beyond anything he has produced previously. that is a sad indictment on our club when he can only muster up 22nd

See these bullshit claims really give me the shits! How the **** would you, me or anyone else on BigFooty know what Walsh was about to do. Fact is Walsh played VB and Mackay and selected CEY every chance he got. Those are cold hard facts! No guessing, no suspecting no nothing but cold hard facts. To claim anything else is just bending the truth more than a little. This is not a go only at you as you are not the only one that has made these unsubstantiated claims of what Walsh was about to do! No one knows. Everyone is guessing but one thing we all know is that Walsh picked those guys every chance he got. That is undisputed.

He's right though.
Vb was getting dropped by Walsh for that game against Geelong.
According to TMS or Thinker.. it was one of the two. Vb ended up playing the next game against WCE then dropped the week after.
Took awhile for it to happen though, Pykes patience lasted one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I know what Walsh had in mind for CEY first hand, VB is recorded fact And Mackay was allegedly given a man talk about his place in the side and dropped soon after Walsh died if I recall. So that's about as close as I can get to fact. Maybe Mackay is alleged but the other 2 absolute fact. Plus he did select Grigg and CEY. Guess that's how the * I know.:p

It's not. A couple people on here have suggested it was going to happen, allegedly through contacts, but there's never been proof one way or the other.
Except it was TMS who said it and he got every selection right he leaked

Except it was TMS who said it and he got every selection right he leaked

After the BNE game Walsh stated it wasn't good enough and he'd be improving the side from the SANFL. He gets murdered and the same team is played for the next game. VB is dropped after that game and then Wright and Dmac follow. Why some posters find joy in stating there's no proof continues to surprise me. But then again, it's the usual suspects who tend to support experienced plodders regardless of form. The agenda is at least clear.

Show me where Tredrea and TMS are on the coaching staff list on the Crows page

image.jpeg

Poster needs certified copy of team sheet, otherwise refuses to accept the evidence in front of him. Walsh stated the team was going to be improved from the SANFL. The game after our first post-Walsh game VB is dropped and he's followed by Dmac and Wright, no others. BUT, Walsh would not have been referring to any of those guys when he was referring to improving the team. Righto mateo, completely unrelated.

There is no evidence i front of me, or you, or anyone else here. Never has been, just supposition, rumour, and wishful thinking.

If a coach from the time, or VB himself were to go on the record and confirm it, then that would be evidence.

Hardly surprising that the same people who believe that, also believe there's a Camporeale led conpspiracy to keep noted superstars Grigg and CEY from having careers, and they have the evidence to prove it! *points to circular argument constructed entirely from big footy opinions* :smug: QED

There is no evidence i front of me, or you, or anyone else here. Never has been, just supposition, rumour, and wishful thinking.

If a coach from the time, or VB himself were to go on the record and confirm it, then that would be evidence.

Hardly surprising that the same people who believe that, also believe there's a Camporeale led conpspiracy to keep noted superstars Grigg and CEY from having careers, and they have the evidence to prove it! *points to circular argument constructed entirely from big footy opinions* :smug: QED
Cmon NT it's plainly obvious you don't want to believe therefore you won't let yourself.

TMS who had a 100% strikerate when announcing team changes, posted that he was an out.

Tredrea also said he was an out.

As a leader VB plays in our first game back after Walshys passing but the very next game is dropped.

If you can't connect the dots you are not very bright or you are stubborn. Which is it?

Cmon NT it's plainly obvious you don't want to believe therefore you won't let yourself.

TMS who had a 100% strikerate when announcing team changes, posted that he was an out.

Tredrea also said he was an out.

As a leader VB plays in our first game back after Walshys passing but the very next game is dropped.

If you can't connect the dots you are not very bright or you are stubborn. Which is it?

Sadly, with this bloke, it's probably both.

Paladin asked if it was on the record, and it is definitively not on the record. Doesn't really matter what anyone does or doesn't want to believe.

Mitch Grigg wasn't good enough to be an AFL player; he's just the latest name on that list, certainly not the last one, and it has nothing to do with anything but himself - other draftees before and after him earning and keeping spots puts paid to any fanciful notions otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back