More Lazy Journalism

Remove this Banner Ad

In today's Australian, in the business section on page 24, there is an article about how much it costs to run and AFL club. There are plenty of good points made, but unfortunately, North have been made the financial whipping boy again. Jeeze, bet you guys are surprised by that.

Anyway, the usual questions on whether we will survive are asked, but here are a few inconsistencies.

1. They say the BEWARE campaign is essentially a short term solution as the income we get won't be recurring income. That's all fair and good, so why didn't they bring up the Gutnick donations to the Melbourne FC, which is also non-recurring over the long term?

2. They highlight our loss of $1.1million in 2000, but don't mention Melbourne's loss of $1.5mil in 1999 and their projected loss of $1.0mil for 2001 in the article.

3. The Bulldogs made a small profit, but their membership numbers are weak, and so, they have less recurring membership income than North Melbourne. If you are going to write about recurring income, then you have to compare the efforts of clubs in a similar situation.

4. Ignorance of recent history. They make the point that should our on-field fortunes decline, our off-field fortunes will also decline. But recent history has shown that when a club has been in danger of folding, Victorian football fans have been very enthusiastic in donating money to keep clubs alive. In the last ten years, we've had Richmond, Hawthorn, St.Kilda, and the Bulldogs all mount successful campaigns to keep their clubs afloat when things have gone financially astray.

Michael McGuire (wonder if he's any relation to Eddie) did make some good points, but by primarily highlighting North Melbourne's problems and ignoring other clubs (even the St.Kilda administration in recent months has said that the next few years could be their last chance to establish their long term survival), it paints a distorted overall picture. The interstate clubs, plus Essendon and Collingwood aren't in trouble. Richmond is still in recovery while Carlton still has debt over their Legends Stand and are looking at further capital expenditure on their ground...but that still leaves plenty of other Victorian clubs with either clouds over them, or clouds rapidly approaching.

Originally posted by Shinboners:

... Richmond is still in recovery while ...

Shinners,

Just jumping on my favourite hobby horse!

Without wishing to detract from the valid points you make, I wouldn't suggest that Richmond are in 'recovery' mode. Notwithstanding the effective $400,000 loss last year we are still debt free and have a couple of million stashed away.

------------------
TigerFury.net - Independant Richmond Tigers website

Originally posted by CJH:
Without wishing to detract from the valid points you make, I wouldn't suggest that Richmond are in 'recovery' mode. Notwithstanding the effective $400,000 loss last year we are still debt free and have a couple of million stashed away.

In a round about way, I was suggesting that in the long term, Richmond's survival is guaranteed. If the figures in the Australian are to be believed, Richmond's net assets are $1.5mil, well behind Essendon ($6.36mil), Geelong ($3.17mil), and Hawthorn ($3.5mil), Carlton ($3.06mil) but ahead of Collingwood ($1.31mil). What it suggests to me is that if Richmond were to make the finals for a couple of years running, then memberships and merchandise sales would give you a large enough asset base to carry the club through any rough times. In short, future revenue streams from Richmond will flow straight to assets, not to the repayment of debt.

I have a question mark over Carlton where I assume most of those assets are tied into their ground, and thus, the money cannot easily be liquidated (unless they mortgage the ground). They need games at the venue to ensure that the Legends Stand can be paid off. Geelong is probably in a similar situation with their assets tied up with their ground, but the long term future of Kardinia Park as a venue seems assured due to Geelong's location outside of Melbourne. But these are just my own assumptions as I haven't seen the Carlton or Geelong accounts. Naturally, Essendon, Hawthorn, and Collingwood would probably include their grounds as part of their asset base, but the difference is that they are not undergoing any capital expenditure on public facilities (ie, the stands) as Carlton and Geelong have simply because games are not played at Windy Hill etc.. Any expenditure they do make is on player facilities and possibly on the social club (which generates revenue).

So in essense, Richmond is not in any immediate danger and has a good springboard to secure their future over the next few years. If revenue raising opportunities from finals appearances are exploited to the full, there is no reason why they cannot challenge the financial power of Essendon.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 23 March 2001).]

Originally posted by Shinboners:
If the figures in the Australian are to be believed, Richmond's net assets are $1.5mil...{/b]

The figure of $1.5 million was the one presented to the members at the AGM in January, so yes is correct.

This figure however does not include the $200,000 compensation paid for the Colonial debacle (will be shown as an extraordinary revenue amount this year) or the funds held in the Jack Dyer Foundation (about $500,000).

I don't think the buildings at Punt Road are shown as assets on the balance sheet, though I am running off memory and could be wrong here.

As you point out, the figures for Geelong and Carlton are misleading as the assets are not overly liquid and there really isn't a huge market for second hand stadiums.

This is probably a bigger issue for Geelong as Carlton have no problems with cash flows and have any number of high profile backers who would assist if required.

------------------
TigerFury.net - Independant Richmond Tigers website

Remove this Banner Ad

Back