Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so subjective it's hard to actually name one most disadvantaged without at least some agreed upon parameters.
Personally I feel Brisbane is the most disadvantaged. They have much of the same travel issues as other interstate clubs but added to that is the fact Queensland is still basically enemy territory for AFL and the club is in a constant battle to get the game itself supported at grassroots and corporate levels, let alone the club. It's not something WA, SA or Vic clubs have to manage. The only other comparable would be NSW clubs but their travel is marginal in comparison and their sheer population base combined with other concessions means no one could genuinely place them in the disadvantaged bracket. I think the fact the AFL has poured and continues to pour so many resources into Brisbane says it all. Of all the clubs, they have the highest hurdles to jump I believe.
Which is also partly why I worry about Gold Coast, they will probably end up needing further significant support.

Last edited:
so i guess Essendon have claim too - considering they play Richmond and Collingwood on both feral's home turf.

Geelong play more than enough games at MCG to be accustomed to the venue. If anything, it's advantage for the Cats to have 9 matches at Kardinia Park, and another 6 or so as home or away team at MCG. That have a venue they train on (MCG tenants don't have this luxury) and play on, and they get enough exposure on the MCG where the premiership is won. It's perfect arrangement.

Who gives a f*** if you’re accustomed to it.
Any person getting paid a few hundred thousand a year to kick a ball shouldn’t need to be accustomed to a venue to play well there (and that includes us) so the point is a s**t one

you can't have a perfectly equitable league. no sport has this.

teams play out of different cities with different populations and different travel times to different stadiums and different conditions. i've never heard seattle seahawks fans crap on about their travel burden in the NFL as the most isolated team in that league. the NFL scheduling system attempts to limit it as much as possible hence the grouping (or division) system adopted so they always play in LA (Rams), SF (Niners) and Phoenix (Cardinals) every season, but they may also get scheduled against say the NFC or AFC East which means they might have to travel to the east coast and back several times in a 16-match season. as a team based in Seattle, they need to deal with it.

At least once

We had to play our semi final in Adelaide in 1997 despite finishing 2nd, and Adelaide finishing 7th

Well done genius hahahahaha

How many times has Geelong won a final outside Victoria? Answer nil!

I wish our club had the same deal as West Coast.

With 12 home games every year and only having to travel 10 times a year, plus the right to actually play all our home finals at home, we would win a lot more premierships than we already do.

Our current deal of a measly 9 home games every year and having to travel 13 times a year, plus having to travel for any home finals we happen to earn means that we are the most disadvantaged team in the league without question.

Damn compelling argument given your access to AFL House.

I'm guessing all those saying Geelong are the most advantaged had them comfortably making the 8 in their predictions at the start of the year.

Didn't think so.

I'm guessing all those saying Geelong are the most advantaged had them comfortably making the 8 in their predictions at the start of the year.

Didn't think so.

Are you wanting a medal? Did people have Eagles making the 8 last year? Were they picking Tigers for the flag the year before? or the Dogs before that? Geelong isn't some special snow flake believe it or not. The truth is you have the best home ground advantage in Victoria, and play most of your away games an hour away. Pretty simple really.

you can't have a perfectly equitable league. no sport has this.

teams play out of different cities with different populations and different travel times to different stadiums and different conditions. i've never heard seattle seahawks fans crap on about their travel burden in the NFL as the most isolated team in that league. the NFL scheduling system attempts to limit it as much as possible hence the grouping (or division) system adopted so they always play in LA (Rams), SF (Niners) and Phoenix (Cardinals) every season, but they may also get scheduled against say the NFC or AFC East which means they might have to travel to the east coast and back several times in a 16-match season. as a team based in Seattle, they need to deal with it.

European soccer there's not too much of a travel burden in most countries. They play each other home and away too so that negates the travel factor. Clubs have massive disparities in wealth, but that's a different argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon this discussion is absolute bullsh.. and that every club has their own advantages and disadvantages in their own way that makes all things fairly balanced. But if one club were to absolutely have it better than any other, it'd Geelong for reason already put forward before me that I don't need to repeat.

I don't hold it against the club or its supporters either - any club who can work themselves into a better position than others is doing a fine job and I applaud Geelong on that, but I don't get why their supporters are always so livid when somebody suggests that they get a good deal. There's a weird tendency in AFL fans to victimise their club in every way, shape and form and pretend everything and everyone is out to get them.

I reckon this discussion is absolute bullsh.. and that every club has their own advantages and disadvantages in their own way that makes all things fairly balanced. But if one club were to absolutely have it better than any other, it'd Geelong for reason already put forward before me that I don't need to repeat.

I don't hold it against the club or its supporters either - any club who can work themselves into a better position than others is doing a fine job and I applaud Geelong on that, but I don't get why their supporters are always so livid when somebody suggests that they get a good deal. There's a weird tendency in AFL fans to victimise their club in every way, shape and form and pretend everything and everyone is out to get them.
Agree with this post 100%.

Incl the nomination of Geelong. Have it so good on so many levels, and I'm jealous.

There are 2 distinct dynamics in the league.
Vic clubs who don't have home grounds but also rarely travel
Non Vic clubs who have a home ground advantage but also have a travel burden

Geelong is the only club who have the benefits of both

Geelong was either 1st or 2nd in the total number of wins in the last 6 years..Yet they have not even been close to be a premiership contender in those years

there is a definate correlation between high number of home and away wins and the fixture advantage they have

Are you wanting a medal? Did people have Eagles making the 8 last year? Were they picking Tigers for the flag the year before? or the Dogs before that? Geelong isn't some special snow flake believe it or not. The truth is you have the best home ground advantage in Victoria, and play most of your away games an hour away. Pretty simple really.
We travel interstate only 4 times less than what you do. The difference is you get 3 more home games with the bonus of home finals.

Without those advantages you dont win last years flag.

Simple.

We travel interstate only 4 times less than what you do. The difference is you get 3 more home games with the bonus of home finals.

Without those advantages you dont win last years flag.

Simple.

What? We won just as many at home as away. In fact, we didnt lose a game in Victoria. Least think before you post man.

In the incredibly unfair scenario where we have to travel 3000km to play home finals (you are travelling an hour there sunshine) We would have played Pies at the G instead of Perth week 1, who we have beaten there now 2 times in a row anyway. The other game would have been against a Melbourne at the G who were shockingly bad.

How would the outcome be any different?

You have no clue. Simple. Just quit. You are wrong and quickly backing yourself into a corner.

There are 2 distinct dynamics in the league.
Vic clubs who don't have home grounds but also rarely travel
Non Vic clubs who have a home ground advantage but also have a travel burden
And then there is the Vic clubs who don't have a real home ground but also have to travel everywhere to make up for the "big vic" clubs rarely leaving Victoria.

What? We won just as many at home as away. In fact, we didnt lose a game in Victoria. Least think before you post man.

In the incredibly unfair scenario where we have to travel 3000km to play home finals (you are travelling an hour there sunshine) We would have played Pies at the G instead of Perth week 1, who we have beaten there now 2 times in a row anyway. The other game would have been against a Melbourne at the G who were shockingly bad.

How would the outcome be any different?

You have no clue. Simple. Just quit. You are wrong and quickly backing yourself into a corner.
We've won more away than home this year too. In fact our only loss has been at home.

Irrelevant though when you got 2 home finals. We won't/don't

Collingwood.
Read somewhere that Alan Didak played at just 6 stadiums in his career.
Pies never played at Tassie, Kardinia Park probably 25+ years, nor have played in the NT. If Western bulldogs have home games it’s likely at MCG. Oh and their training base is practically a 100 m walk from MCG itself.
Sure, it’s all revenue based, they pull the biggest crowds. But this is sport and should be neutrality. AFL just profits off their home games and don’t force pies in uncomfortable territory. Being a Collingwood supporter is about as easy as it gets tbh.

1. Collingwood. Completely looked after from a commercial point of view, promoted by the league above all others.
2. Geelong. The Kardinia/MCG mix they get is the perfect combination.
3. Hawthorn. The bullshit Tasmanian deal they get guarantees wins plus makes them a fortune.
4. Richmond. Starting to get as looked after as much as Collingwood.
5. Essendon. Dropped back in the wake of drugs saga but are an AFL darling and they're itching for them to get back into prime time. Still play in 2 of the biggest League/Ch 7 over promoted and/or stand alone games. Actually make that 3 now including Good Friday.
6. Carlton. There's been years when they've received 6 or 7 totally undeserved Friday night games. How much more of a leg up do these chumps need?
7. Sydney. The league coverts the coverage and commercial opportunities it can get from Australia's most important city. They will always look after the Swans because of this.
8. West Coast. As the countries biggest and richest club they want for nothing. Get the best ride at their home ground of any team. This far down the list because they aren't a Victorian darling and have a big travel burden.
9. Crows big membership gives them a free ride in their home town and also have a big home ground advantage. A long way behind West Coast, but a bit in front of the rest.
10. One of the 4 Victorian minnows who the AFL decide are flavour of the year. This year it is Melbourne (who have totally under delivered and will be demoted next year).

The rest.

Back