Most exciting/iconic calls by commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

beert

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We all hate it when a fantastic moment in a game is accompanied by inane bellowing from an ignorant commentator. But a great call is an adornment to the game and makes a brilliant moment even greater. So what are your favourite, most iconic calls in a game? I'm not talking about funny lines spouted by Dennis - I want moments that genuinely capture the spirit of the moment.

I'll kick it off with a few calls of Swans games...

2005 Semi-final Sydney vs Geelong - "I see it but I don't believe it". Anthony Hudson
2005 GF Sydney vs West Coast - "Leo Barry you star!", Stephen Quartermain

and the one that kicked off this thread

2018 Sydney vs GWS - "This is Buddy Franklin!", Anthony Hudson

[Edited to correct the 2005 SF call from Gerard Whateley to Anthony Hudson]

Last edited:

We all hate it when a fantastic moment in a game is accompanied by inane bellowing from an ignorant commentator. But a great call is an adornment to the game and makes a brilliant moment even greater. So what are your favourite, most iconic calls in a game? I'm not talking about funny lines spouted by Dennis - I want moments that genuinely capture the spirit of the moment.

2005 Semi-final Sydney vs Geelong - "I see it but I don't believe it". Gerard Whately

The semi-final call was Huddo as well.

I really liked the very last in-game call of Dennis' career - the end of the 2016 grand final:

'What a day. McLean will kick virtually on the siren. He misses, but they don't miss out!'

I think Cameron Lings " GWS are getting destroyed everywhere except on the scoreboard" comment, deserves a mention. It's iconic Vic press and what we're resigned to. It was against the Bulldogs at Etthiad last year, in a game we led from start to finish and won by 8 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2005 Semi-final Sydney vs Geelong - "I see it but I don't believe it". Gerard Whately

MATERA SETS SAIL FOR HOME!!!!

Probably the most iconic piece of commentary where WA footy is concerned.

I think Cameron Lings " GWS are getting destroyed everywhere except on the scoreboard" comment, deserves a mention. It's iconic Vic press and what we're resigned to. It was against the Bulldogs at Etthiad last year, in a game we led from start to finish and won by 8 goals.

Well it was true, you got dominated in the 2nd quarter but Dogs were terrible at converting and GWS ran away with the game.

THEY'RE A STEP AHEAD OF THEM AT THE MOMENT.............HE'S GUNNA GO FOR BROKE TO FULL FORWARD INSTEAD.......PETRIE IN THE WRESTLE.......FLETCHER........HARVEY AGAIN..... A HAT TRICK FOR HARVEY.....HE'LL PLAY 'TIL HE'S FIFTY AND STILL BE KICKING THEM LIKE THAT!

2005 semi was Huddo you muppet :)

My personal favourite which a lot won’t know is from the 1990 Grand Final.
“Daicos! This is where he’s at his best!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back