Mother of all Hangovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just aim for top 4 again, and don't set the goals too high other than that, the most important task for us is finishing in the 4 consistently over the next few years.

I don't see a hangover necessarily, but I think our draw is a little tougher next year.

We had our down patch due to injuries hitting at once, and inexperienced depth, so we should be a bit stronger in the depth department, with the competition for spots meaning our players will have to keep performance high to stay in the side.

Pfft why would a Hawthorn supporter even think of a premiership hangover? We are a young team on the rise, and 2009 will see a bigger, faster and stronger side.

Think Brisbane in the year 2001.

Essendon looked invincible.

Brisbane won the GF

They then went on to play the same team in consecutive grand finals and win both of them.

Fast forward to the year 2008.

Geelong looked invincible.

Hawthorn won the GF

Then we will go on to play the same team in consecutive grand finals (probably North or I dunno, Bulldogs?) and we'll win both of them. :thumbsu:

We may finish 2nd or 3rd on the ladder though - do you consider that a hangover?

Think Brisbane in the year 2000.

Essendon looked invincible.

Brisbane won the GF

They then went on to play the same team in consecutive grand finals and win both of them.

Fast forward to the year 2008.

Geelong looked invincible.

Hawthorn won the GF

Then we will go on to play the same team in consecutive grand finals (probably North or I dunno, Bulldogs?) and we'll win both of them. :thumbsu:

We may finish 2nd or 3rd on the ladder though - do you consider that a hangover?

That was 2001.

The only one that stands in our way is Geelong who will be hell bent on revenge. The third best team is a long way off this years grand finalists.

(franklin doing a knee might hurt our chances though!:D)

I think the Hawks are going to be even better next year.

There is still so much room for improvement. We should definitely make the top 4.

I can see improvements coming in Buddy, Roughead, Rioli, Ellis, Tuck, Murphy.

I think it's time for another Hawk Dynasty to happen.

As long as we make top 4 we give ourselves a good chance to make the GF again. It's all about finals footy then. We played great in the finals this year.

I can't see us having a hangover, not with the quality players we have. But I guess stranger things have happened. I hope not.

You haven't got much to worry about, lads.

Geelong were predicted by many to have "the mother of all premiership hangovers".

We didn't win the flag, but 23-2 is a reasonably good year.

Is there even such a thing?

The only real drawback is that the premiers get less of a pre-season, which may explain being a bit sluggish early on.

Anyway, to answer the question, no, there will be no hangover.

What I like so much about 2009 prospects is the "second stringers" who can possibly step up and press for places in the ones if there are a few 2008 players with the premership hangover.

Muston, Tuck, Dowler, Boyle, Thorp, McGlynn, Taylor, Morton, Stokes, Whitecross and so on who missed out this year and who should keep the squad honest over pre season.

I also think the club, as a whole, is pretty hungry and won't tolerate a slack attitude.

Could the Hawks suffer the mother of all hangovers in 2009 ? Or do you just see a team on the rise ?

They shouldnt......from a GFC supporters view, when Geelong in 2004-05 made finals, I thought OK, making top 4-6 for the next couple of years would be a decent goal to achieve for the club.

Whilst a lot of pundits claimed that the GF was the mother of all upsets (see several BF postings), Hawthorn have been able to click together straight away, right from the President, the coach, messrs. Roughead, Franklin, etc. And I think thats why they won the GF, they seem to know each other so well, on and off the field.

Hopefully, Hawthorn can learn to keep that bond together and forge (yet another) champion team. I look forward to seeing what Hawthorn can produce in the immediate future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one that stands in our way is Geelong who will be hell bent on revenge. The third best team is a long way off this years grand finalists.

(franklin doing a knee might hurt our chances though!:D)
Agreed, as mentioned on a previous thread i think Roughead will become the dominant foward in years to come. Still dont want to see Buddy do a knee though.

Agreed, as mentioned on a previous thread i think Roughead will become the dominant foward in years to come. Still dont want to see Buddy do a knee though.

Roughead is a very good player but is inferior to Buddy in almost all aspects of the game at the moment ( No disrespect intended ). I don't think he will ever be the dominant forward but he will be a very good foil and if he can kick 70 goals a season as a second option up forward, that will go a long way to us winning more flags

Roughead is a very good player but is inferior to Buddy in almost all aspects of the game at the moment ( No disrespect intended ). I don't think he will ever be the dominant forward but he will be a very good foil and if he can kick 70 goals a season as a second option up forward, that will go a long way to us winning more flags

He has better clamps than Buddy, and I can garuntee you that he will be a dominant forward of the competition as he pretty much already is..

i really do see your side going alot better in the next 12 games.. hope to see the hawks against cats in the finals, don't you think??
yep, im hoping we make the 8 first, the way we are going is a disgrace.
but come finals and we meet the cats in prelim choke will be branded onto the cats for ever...wa wa wa ha ha..:eek:

I hate these threads - we are playing ordinary simply because we over achieved last year.

So far this year we have been poor in our injury management and dont seem to have the fitness to achieve back to back. I have listened to a number of comments in here and in the press and simply believe that the club planned in advance where we would finish in 2008 and like they have done in the past planned the various post op surgery schedules. Then we won the flag land the celebrations began. All of a sudden the planned surgerys had to be rolled back 1 or 2 months and training programs had to be moved back 1 month.

Then there was a massive rush to get the players properly prepared for their premiership defence and we tried to cram in 4 months of training into 2. We now seem totally underprepared and in almost every game this year we have been rolled in the 4th quarter - lack of fitness. Roll back 1 year and we rarely lost a last quarter.

Although I am stll hopeful of back to back I am less optomistic than ever before. What I want now is for our coaching staff to learn how to manage the preseason training and post season surgery better after winning a flag

......(hicup)........Nup,.........we aren't.....(hicup).........suffering from a premiership.........(hicup).......hangover.............(hicup)........(burp)............!!!

we still got to play bulldogs,collingwood, cats again..man we could be in big trouble, and end up being the laughing stock of the AFL.. well in bay 13 anyway, lol

get croad and gilham back we'll win the flag...get one (gilham) back we'll make top 4...get neither back we'll miss the 8. im not kidding we rely so heavily on these 2 players. if they missed this many games last year we were no chance in hell to make the finals let alone win the flag. watch this space and my theory will be proved correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back