Science/Environment Moving Australia to 100% Renewable Energy would actually SAVE us money.

So have you sold your soul to a petrochemical company yet?

• No, but I'm hoping they'll give me a call any day now!

• Nah but I know a guy who knows a guy who has his snout in the trough. its a juicy racket!

• Nope I stick to intelligent design & anti-vac, denying climate change is too loopy even for me

• Yes and I would do it again! Money will buy me happiness so I crave MORE MORE MORE

• Yes, but everyone else is doing it and the world's stuffed anyway and.... God I hate myself.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello. I'm referring to the electricity companies changing the prices on consumers all the time.

With an off grid system you dont need to worry about any of that.

A long time ago, you just paid for electricity in cents/kwh.
All the other costs were absorbed within the pricing.

Since privatisation, you have, for example, a private company responsible for the power lines which run to the different places.
These cost pretty much the same to maintain whether people use 20kwh per day or 50.
That's one of the places we get fixed costs from.

That company also got held responsible for the Marysville fires, and had to pay a significant amount to victims.
What has been the flow on from that?

Then you have individual electricity generators.
Apart from actual "fuel" ( Coal / Gas etc ) a lot of their costs will be fixed.
As we add more renewables to the grid , and we use less of these power sources, they need to up their spot prices to cover their fixed costs.

Unless there is a ( cheap ) storage solution adding renewables will make electricity more expensive.

Since privatisation, you have, for example, a private company responsible for the power lines which run to the different places.
These cost pretty much the same to maintain whether people use 20kwh per day or 50.

That company also got held responsible for the Marysville fires, and had to pay a significant amount to victims.

As we add more renewables to the grid , and we use less of these power sources, they need to up their spot prices to cover their fixed costs.

Unless there is a ( cheap ) storage solution adding renewables will make electricity more expensive.

You certainly underline what it costs to flick the light switch.
The need to isolate the generation cost & ignore the other costs is 100% marketing by its renewables proponents.Opportune.

& I pointed out that it costs. You need to be able to afford living off the grid.

In the medium to long run you'd probably be saving a lot of money. These on-grid solar systems on the other hand, it looks like you end up harvesting electricity for the power companies and you end up paying more or less the same as they adjust their prices.

In the medium to long run you'd probably be saving a lot of money. These on-grid solar systems on the other hand, it looks like you end up harvesting electricity for the power companies and you end up paying more or less the same as they adjust their prices.

A refuge for those wealthy enough to indulge. The test is the poles & lines, as I point out to family who are otherwise off grid.

Storage is the huge elephant in the room.
People are happy to rattle off how much it costs to produce a solar panel, and fob off the storage issues, ( yeah they will invent blah blah blah soon ).
Storage is everything. Storage costs far more than generating wind or solar electricity.
People rattle off the price of wind and solar by claiming they are falling but prices are skyrocketing. Europe wind isn’t up to scratch, prices are skyrocketing and gas supply’s can’t keep up either.

Yet the usual lot lobby for such a failed idolatry here for Aus.
Storage is more toxic for the environment than solar or wind. The distruction of land and vegetation, river ways & airways In mining, manufacturing and disposable is alarming. Yet apparently it’s green and clean

When will we start criminal charges for politicians actively and knowingly misleading the electorate

"renewables are the cheapest form of power" Albo says. Then says we just need the distribution network and storage to make them work. Well Albo, how can you say they are the cheapest but in the same breathe say they don't work at their cheapest?

Wouldn't a reasonable person say clean energy is important and the price to make renewables work is unknown but it is very very high. We will need to triple the grid, with copper resource demands that exceed known all the known deposits globally and the technology to store the power doesn't exist as yet.

However we will tackle the climate emergency with hope and a blank cheque book or adopt a engineering solution that actually delivers clean power (like Tassie, France, Ontario, Sweden and Norway)

People rattle off the price of wind and solar by claiming they are falling but prices are skyrocketing. Europe wind isn’t up to scratch, prices are skyrocketing and gas supply’s can’t keep up either.

Yet the usual lot lobby for such a failed idolatry here for Aus.
Storage is more toxic for the environment than solar or wind. The distruction of land and vegetation, river ways & airways In mining, manufacturing and disposable is alarming. Yet apparently it’s green and clean

rubbish, don't say that. Especially if:

if you don't count all the costs, renewables are cheaper

if you don't consider the human lives (who cares about slaves and poor people anyway) and the environment in developing nations, then renewables are great. Especially if you claim you can recycle solar panels but actually just crush the glass and allow heavy metals and carcinogenic materials go into land fill, housing glass windows and food jars.

As you mentioned, much of it due to privatisation

Anyway even compromised, Albo is better than a failed govt which called a NEG the most important issue of our times, then did nothing but cover up they weren’t doing anything,

This is one or two decades overdue

And credlin should hang her head in shame, having conspired to play cheap politics with such a key issue

Anyway even compromised, Albo is better than a failed govt which called a NEG the most important issue of our times, then did nothing but cover up they weren’t doing anything,

This is one or two decades overdue

And credlin should hang her head in shame, having conspired to play cheap politics with such a key issue
Like the examples of renewables failing greatly in Europe. Sky rocketing prices and inability to keep up with basic demands and making European countries reliant on gas from Russia isn’t good enough.

The hundreds of billionaire’s spent on renewables and closure of power stations and sky rocketing bills are real life examples ignored. All the LNPs fault and Albo will do much due to building more wind turbines and solar panels making his buddies rich!

At what point will it appeal to you they don’t care for you, the average person or the environment! It’s abkut lining there own pockets and the pockets of there friends?

I'm not sure if anyone saw this; the dishonesty - nay, criminality - goes on and on.

52253539664_35cafc5946_o.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been calling for Labor to do this for a while. It remains to be seen if they follow through.

Offshore wind zones next steps in creating new renewable energy industry: Bowen​

To summarise Natasha’s reporting on Chris Bowen’s presser, the energy and climate minister has announced the government is investigating the establishment of an offshore wind industry in Australia, pinpointing six potential strategic sites nationwide suitable for turbines.

I've been calling for Labor to do this for a while. It remains to be seen if they follow through.

Offshore wind zones next steps in creating new renewable energy industry: Bowen​

To summarise Natasha’s reporting on Chris Bowen’s presser, the energy and climate minister has announced the government is investigating the establishment of an offshore wind industry in Australia, pinpointing six potential strategic sites nationwide suitable for turbines.

So they are claiming this is their idea?

This concept is cool...................using magnets in our roads to recharge batteries

At 14 to 47m Euro per kilometre, it isn't viable yet. but it may make sense in certain applications such as factories and car parks.

This concept is cool...................using magnets in our roads to recharge batteries

At 14 to 47m Euro per kilometre, it isn't viable yet. but it may make sense in certain applications such as factories and car parks.

I don't think its anywhere near as efficient as directly plugging in.
You'd be wasting something like 30% of your electricity.

Power prices are sky rocketing in Aus yet more renewables are built?

Europe and the UK examples are ignored!

Yet some how people still believe the snake oil sales people

We are running our inefficient "peaking" facilities flat out.

But .....skyrocketing, compare German prices to ours.
The best is yet to come.
I wonder if it is hard to immigrate to Canada.

I don't think its anywhere near as efficient as directly plugging in.
You'd be wasting something like 30% of your electricity.
I note also that California - the state that's banning petrol & diesel engined vehicles very soon - is asking EV owners to not charge their cars during the current heatwave.

Is this delay factored into keeping the lights on/the scheduled closure of coal powered power stations ?

Bowen admits concerns about budget blow out for Snowy 2.0, confirms big delay​

The Snowy 2.0 project has been hit by multiple delays, some of them due to the Covid restrictions which Clough said had made it difficult to find people trained to use the giant tunnel boring machines, and supply constraints and price pressures that have caused delays and price hikes.

The depth of the Snowy 2.0 blowout was first reported by The Australian newspaper and at least partially confirmed by an audit report that showed significant claims over and above the payments made by the governments-owned utility.

Back