hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Hard to say how we go next year. It’s more about 2022 onwards for me.
When Lukosius (assumes), Fogarty, Milera, Doedee, Jones, McHenry, Galluci, Pick 4 are all contributors and we have experienced guys like Grundy (asshmed), Laird, Crouch, Crouch, Smith, Brown, Atkins are all still going.

Other players who knows who will come on. Sholl, Hamill, McPherson, Butts, Knight, Poholke, Stengle, McAdam, Murphy, Himmelburg, Frampton, Davis, 5 picks this year, Edwards, Borlase, mystery player X, Dudley.
This is why I cant see us as a lock for a bottom 4 spot. We didnt finish there this year and I reckon we will have a better, more exciting side next year with new coach and gameplan

Imagine if our first possession next year is a dinky tap back to the centreman who handpasses backward to a little up and under sideways floating chip...
Was Walshy's motto that you don't rise to the occasion but sink to your training standards? I'm sure it'll take a while to completely iron it out.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
... As others have posted the players leaving are not leaving gaping holes (which happens in a full rebuild), we have players already on our list that offer more NOW than the players leaving.
We are no where near a "burn it down and start again" with our list - unless you believe the numpties on Trade Radio/SEN/Fox etc.
Maybe you could say we've been doing a controlled back burn? :grin:

Between 2017 to this year, we kind of will have stockpiled draft picks 4, 9, 12, 16, 23, 28, 30, 37, 40, 45 since other than Fog and Jones who have only played relatively few games, it will be like we get to unwrap them next year.

Plus we have quite a few other youth who haven't played yet - Sholl, Butts, McAdam, Davis. Also, next year we could also have another 3 possible round 1 standard players (Edwards, Borlase, NgaMysteryX) added to our list.

That's not a bad hand to be dealt if you're doing a serious rebuild/turn over.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
This is why I cant see us as a lock for a bottom 4 spot. We didnt finish there this year and I reckon we will have a better, more exciting side next year with new coach and gameplan

I think the chances of us ever finishing bottom 3 are slim.

We have a genuine home ground advantage for 10 games and also have facilities and tools at our disposal that the smaller clubs don't have access to.

Given that we don't have the balls to tank like West Coast have a couple of times, I tend to think that history suggests that 6-7 wins is usually rock bottom for us and that usually is around 14th

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Good post, I think the changes are great but we have lost in a couple of areas.

Our KP stocks have gone down with JJ, Keath and Otten gone and only Frampton in.

Big mid: we may be faster in the middle but do risk being the midget brigade. Against theCripps and Fyfe types we could be pushed around, definitely need to recruit some taller mids this draft

If the Coach can get Gibbs (188) back on track that will help out along with Brad in the bigger-bodied midfield. or Wilson(188) Pohokle (186) steps ups maybe Kelly (190) becomes that run with against those players.
That may allow time to recruit one this year or wait until next year crop. Maybe Kemp. :)

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I became very disinterested in the AFC around he middle of last year when I realised just how toxic things were in the club, how deep seated this was and just how much spin we were being fed. I have only posted a couple of times since then. While I am now prepared to move on it is up to the club to regain my trust through honesty and transparency. Making mistakes is one thing. We all do that. It is the deceit, scapegoating and game playing that goes with it that I don't want to see. Chapman says he is going at the end of next year, then he must keep his word. Anyway, for me only one thing will do the talking. Walking the talk! That doesn't mean winning every game. What it does mean is doing what one says, from all involved.

Definitely lost interest around the same time and the passion had certainly faded. In hindsight I might have put it down to increased demands on life and work in general, but in truth that had never really stopped me before. Roos comments about supporting another club was probably the final nail in the coffin, but I think this led to a significant backlash resulting in the external review. Felt Pyke was probably a bit hard done by, but at least had the integrity to step down yet still attended the B&F. Glad to finally see Campo and Burton out, and while I'm still not thrilled with Chapman, Hart and Hass still being around there certainly seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Prepared to give Matthew Nicks a go - I did like the comment about damaging the opposition in his press conference, and I think over the years we've tried to beat the natural aggression out of our players.

On the players, seeing some club favourites depart has been tough but I think in time we'll agree that it's what probably needed to happen. A lot of our younger players would be sensing that there is an opportunity, so hopefully this comes with the drive and hunger to impress and succeed.

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Critical to us moving on as a club and attracting players to our club is that new club / trading base in the CBD . Where is it at with our plans to move to the Aquatic Centre grounds ? I haven’t heard or read much lately !

Last edited:

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we need to draft Tom Hutchesson , he moves like a footballer and did really well in the state combine last week . Pity he got a hamstring injury at the start of the finals campaign and couldn’t show his wares but I saw enough to know with an AFL preseason he can make it . Won the agility test at the combine which is a trait I believe a midfielder must have to become elite . He reminds me in his movement of Geelongs now West Coasts Tim Kelly although a shorter version.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think we need to draft Tom Hutchesson , he moves like a footballer and did really well in the state combine last week . Pity he got a hamstring injury at the start of the finals campaign and couldn’t show his wares but I saw enough to know with a film preseason he can make it . Won the agility test at the combine which is a trait I believe a midfielder must have to become elite . He reminds me in his movementA of Geelongs now West Coasts Time Kelly although a shorter version.
A number of our top ups had good years actually, but the fact he went to combine means teams are having a look at least.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
There’s definitely room for optimism, but at the same time nothing really different to the last 20 years.

We will still have an old team next year if we pick Lynch Gibbs Mackay which is likely.

The people who chose Campo and Burton are choosing their replacements.

I reckon we will get a bump in the next couple of years without really threatening the flag with a few quicker players on field to help out the established core who are still pretty good.

After that we will be 13th again because Sloane Tex Talia will be properly done for and we don’t have Rendell drafting guns at pick 20 for us any more.

Then we will sack the coach again. The cycle must continue.

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
There’s definitely room for optimism, but at the same time nothing really different to the last 20 years.

We will still have an old team next year if we pick Lynch Gibbs Mackay which is likely.

The people who chose Campo and Burton are choosing their replacements.

I reckon we will get a bump in the next couple of years without really threatening the flag with a few quicker players on field to help out the established core who are still pretty good.

After that we will be 13th again because Sloane Tex Talia will be properly done for and we don’t have Rendell drafting guns at pick 20 for us any more.

Then we will sack the coach again. The cycle must continue.

Dead cat bounce for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I'm surprised that so many are tipping us to be contending for the bottom 4. Sure there will be a few inconsistent performances with a younger crew but there were inconsistent performances with the older crew as well. Our core group still remains. We'll still be competitive against every side.
If we can just remove the Bipolar element and crack in properly for every game I think there are 2/3 wins there alone. Maybe more.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Negatives are that Burton and Campo should have been moved on at season end and we would have been able to pick the cream of crop to replace.
Roo ,Chapman and Fagan still there also who were responsible for the Burton era stuff ups but not worried about Chapoman as only a figurehead really and leaving soon .
Roo and Fagan in particular know from feedback that they are under the pump as mistakes were highlighted in review without doubt .
The crap about player exodus in media was rubbish and the strategy there was very clever by club and only let down by not being strong enough to get maximum value from those leaving ,although the JJ trade at end was important.
The positives are we made most important decisions and trust that we get the assistant coaches and footy operation etc replacements right in a restricted field
and Hamish gets the draft selections correct and covers defences within squad.
Lets be positive about new coach and those that get opportunity grab it and we move on from last 10 games of 2018 and play positive and exciting footy going forward and win both showdowns to make mockery those from there get egg on face with their mocking of our club.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Who isn't looking forward to the first preseason match?

Cannot wait, no chance of picking the older players, Nicks clearly keen to play youth.

New favorite players coming up

David MacKay doesn't like this, if he plays round 1 Nicks won't last to his third year.

Gibbs shouldn't play round 1 unless he tears it up in the preseason games - he needs to come out firing or stay in the reserves team.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
As our season sank without trace last year I spent too much time watching and laughing at the anti-Ken comments on the Port board

Now with a new coach, new game plan, youngsters about to get a go and an incoming pick 4, I couldn’t give a rats toss bag about Ken and his useless team

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
David MacKay doesn't like this, if he plays round 1 Nicks won't last to his third year.
and Bigfooty goes ...

vader-mackay-playing-gif.1098945

vader - mackay playing.gif
vader - mackay playing.gif [1.1mb]
mackay ... nooo!!!.gif
mackay ... nooo!!!.gif [1.1mb]

a drag - mackay.gif
a drag - mackay.gif [0.9mb]

selection finger.jpg
selection finger.jpg []

keep scrolling - mackay.jpg
keep scrolling - mackay.jpg []

mackay head ball.gif
mackay head ball.gif [0.9mb]

Last edited:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Gibbs shouldn't play round 1 unless he tears it up in the preseason games - he needs to come out firing or stay in the reserves team.
I actually can see Mackay playing the role like Thommo in his final year ie. playing mostly SANFL, maybe except 1-2 games in AFL to manage/rest other players.

Gibbs I am dead keen to see what he can produce coming off a very average season. Normally a good user of the ball, but almost the entire 2019 he seemed to be off for whatever reason. Hopefully a turnaround will happen as I still see him as a best 22. We need a fit and firing Gibbs.

Back