MRP is a flip flopping circus

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said in the other thread if this was say Dangerfield r22 on the eve of finals there is zero chance it would be 3 weeks. League has so little credibility.
Guaranteed there will be a similar incident before the end of the year by a well known player and they will either get off or be given a much softer penalty. You could write the story now and park it for later use.

View attachment 528846
Arm pinned and driven head down into the ground? Really, Gleeson? Lying flog
What's also incredible is Nyhuis is so strong that he managed to dump Gray on his head from a position underneath him. Pretty sure that requires some kind of supernatural power unless the person above lifts their own legs up to say do something like... try to back heel a ball. Was hoping they'd downgrade it to 2 weeks but regardless, just like ducking, the player with the ball needs to have some level of responsibility for their own welfare as well. As it stands a player could leap up off the ground (to try and avoid the tackler), be tackled in the air by someone underneath, land on their head, break their neck and it's all on the shoulders of the tackler?

Mostly bitter because 3 weeks means no Ryan Nyhuis v Laim Ryan in the derby.

May have been Nyhius wishes to just accept?
May have been no suitable argument to try get less while risking more?

Joking if you think Freo didn’t have Ryan’s back

Also definitely not on his last chance as an afl player

Possibly Nyhuis just wanted to accept. We have no way of knowing.

And not joking? I'm sure Freo had his back. I'm sure Ross gave him a cuddle. But the defence was hardly strident and merely went sycophant.

I like the player, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him delisted. He hasn't been amazing in his few games (bar one as a forward, which isnt likely to happen again). And he's very frequently the first to be dropped. I also would t be surprised if he were to be retained. But every year there are players that get delisted that you'd think could have come good, but the club has drawn the line for whatever reason.

This unfortunate incident hasn't helped his cause, and I'm sure he knows it. So yeah, I feel bad for him.

Anyone else seen this shot from the incident? First time I saw it was just now.

DiS8SVgV4AEfypS.jpg

View attachment 528844

No mention of them saying he's in the mix for playing this week?

Despite our acceptance of the "severe impact" classification, we did actually mention it.
I have no idea what we thought we were doing in submitting that evidence if not challenging a classification which from the outset we'd said we accepted. Even Gleeson couldn't believe we weren't challenging the "severe impact" grading since he went on to rebut a non-existent defence against that classification forgetting that we'd already accepted it without argument and that there was nothing we could do about that now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but Natanui is a 'name' player. They get different rules.

That and the eagles have a reputation for 'mentioning' to the Tribunal that they are prepared to take further legal action. The Tribunal generally doesn't go hard in those situations
I long for the day we grow some balls and do something similar.....surely the nic nat case set a precedent of sorts.

Plenty of posters here have put forward reasonable and sensible arguments, rather than “the vibe”. You’re being deliberately obtuse.

They haven't though. Their arguments have been along the lines of "He didn't mean it" or "Other people got less". Both these things may well be true, but that isn't how the tribunal works. If you want to plead not guilty or challenge the verdict, then you need to actually be able to illustrate why the charge should not apply, either through video or medical evidence that the charges laid by the tribunal are erroneous.

If Fremantle though that they had any evidence along those lines then they would have presented it and pleaded not guilty.

Instead we did the only thing we could do, which was to plead guilty and ask for the minimum penalty.

I wonder if you could bring a players concussion history into the discussion in regards to the grading of force. Seems as though guys who have had a few tend to get them more easily than others. The tackle is only graded as severe because he was knocked out - Banfeilds tackle on wingard just on half time was just as forceful only difference is Wingard gets straight back up

If it's anything like the legal system then the unforeseeability of the victim's reaction to careless conduct is not a defence. Even if the victim's skull's is as thin as an eggshell, you pay for the harm actually caused in the particular case, not the harm which a normal person would have suffered. (This is the "eggshell skull" rule, encapsulated in the dictum "you take your victim as you find him")

There is no way he should be delisted at the end of the year , considering all the oldies that should go and his strong physique and decent play it would be crazy.

He’s a third year rookie. He has to be delisted or upgraded.

The problem he has is you don’t leave players who’ve played every game in their first year on the rookie list - you lock them away long term. Giro if stays in the side is in the same basket as Banfield. Nyhuis is probably third in the pecking order for an upgrade.

I hope we keep him but at the same time if we delisted him with plans to re-rookie him I highly doubt it’d blow up in our faces.

Not happy with the guilty plea. Seems strange - you can certainly mount a case for unintentional, clumsy. The only thing that could be the case is if he wanted to go in that direction - if so, then I guess well done. I think the charge would be the same anyway.

At the end of the day, I was comfortable with 3 weeks, until I saw the Gibbs incident (thanks to the poster with the Bryce comparison - they are identical in my opinion - if not the Gibbs tackle worse pinning 2 arms). After seeing that footage I am again dumbfounded at the tribunals pathetic attempts to show a precedent and stick with it. Did Gray play on in the game in the Carlton match - that could be the extra week in severity? Otherwise I will leave it and move on.

Anyone else seen this shot from the incident? First time I saw it was just now.

DiS8SVgV4AEfypS.jpg

Check the Freo players in the background asking for HTB. That was my first thought when I saw it. Good tackle, dropped the ball, free kick Nyhuis.

Then I thought - the tackle lingered, is that why Charlie is getting upset? Maybe actually a free kick to Port.

Then - s**t he's not moving, that's why Charlie is pissed off. Nyhuis will get a bit of a holiday for that.

So in the space of a second or two I went from thinking Ryan had won a HTB free, to wondering how long he was going to be rubbed out. (As well as hoping Gray was okay, of course.)

But when you look at the two pics posted in this thread, it really is a case of WTF - why plead guilty? Esp when the AFL dick said both arms pinned, head slammed into the ground. Clearly not the case...

Last edited:
Anyone else remember McCarthy knocking out Gilbert in a tackle last year?

Both arms pinned. Head first in to turf. Knocked him out

$1500 fine
Nah Dardy got two games for the tackle with an early plea discount, was graded at 3 games. The $1500 was the cherry on top for some light melee action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back