Preview NAB Challenge: Melbourne v Fremantle, Fremantle Oval - March 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Did that not hit the post?
Looked like it lol.

On another note I don't think I've watched too many of our players walk off gingerly other than fatigue.

Tyson would have had 30+ possessions
Jones was his usual workhorse self
Lumumba had good run and carry
Hogan works hard and got a bit of it
Frost looks good down back and is bloody quick
Toumpas and Salem both did some good silky things down back

As disappointed as i am, i suppose a 18 point loss to the dockers at home isn't too bad especially when they had quite a few quality players in their lineup.
However i know that we were kicking into the breeze for those scoreless quarters and that it is only just a nab cub game, but i don't want to see two scoreless quarters in a game

Think it's pretty obvious that there is still players in our squad that aren't AFL quality, and probably never will be, but I think there was some positive signs.

Liked Newton when he was on, Toump looked more composed at times and Vandenberg looked promising too. I'd say my favourite of the new guys out there was Frosty. Think he already provides more run then the previous no.17.

Some areas were still a bit frustrating eg. Hitting targets going forward (or hitting targets in general) and some decision making issues.

Still, its a preseason match in hot tough conditions.

If you told me before the game... 18 point defeat and no major injuries I would have taken it for sure. That doesn't make two scoreless quarters any easier to watch though. The last quarter they can be forgiven but the 2nd quarter was garbage.

Good:

- All of our recruits. Newton was great before being subbed out. Lumumba is all class. Garlett was good after half-time. Frost reminded me of Blease with his pace, red hair and #17 guernsey. Garlett was good after half time.

- vandernBerg could be a useful player.

- He's not the messiah just yet, but Hogan works bloody hard and crashes packs (something we've waited 8 years for Watts to do).

- Tyson and Jones

- Salem and Toumpas showed decent signs later in the game.

Bad:

- Colin Garland. It would be melodramatic to say he's 'at the crossroads' after one meaningless pre season game. But he doesn't get a game this year if he wants to to carry on with that crap. Last year he had excuse, this year, none.

- Same old mistakes from usual suspects.

All of Newton, Vanders and Frost will prove to be real finds. Hogan showed glimpses of just how important he will be in not only crashing packs but working hard up the ground. Kent is poised for a big year.

There is no way at this stage that Bail, M Jones or Grimes are in the best 22. I'm over the fundamental skill errors. VFL standard players need to play in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to not getting near the ball, he was only under pressure twice.

Did well both times.

So the time he got caught holding the ball trying to shimmy through traffic and failing... didn't happen?

Was I watching a different game??
I didn't say he was prolific with the possesions but he mostly found team mates by hand and foot whilst under the pump. Put his head over the ball too.

Interesting seeing some of the comments... I came away with a different impression for a fair few players. Wasn't much of a game, neither team looked in particularly good nick although Freo turned it up a bit in the first half after the first 10 minutes.

Good
  • Jones, Tyson usual selves, plus Ben Newton looks like a fantastic pickup if he can play somewhere near that level during the year. Cross still looks dependable.
  • Hogan was "lively" with a fair bit of rookie thrown in. Was great to see a few packs busted though.
  • Vandenberg is a big unit and a decent kick from what little I saw. Would have to be locked in as the rookie elevation on that evidence.
  • Read it on here before, but Frost is very nippy for a big lad.
  • Jamar - maybe good is a little strong, but he'll do a job in the ruck again this year.

Bad
  • Kicking in general - we're still not good at hitting up targets. First half mainly consisted of punting it long into the forward line. I'm no fan of Chris Dawes, but balls were pumped high in the air, sat on forward's heads or kicked over them 90% of the time.
  • Still a few of the younger guys we need to step up struggling to get into the game.
  • Defence - Dunn was ordinary, McDonald and Garland did some good and bad things, Grimes had a few trademark squiffy kicks, etc.

Ugly
  • Matt Jones - terrible disposal / decision making... will be lucky to get a game this year if that's all he can show when his spot is on the line.
  • Not great from Gawn... moved pretty well at least, but we need a lot more from him.
  • Delivery into the 50

I didn't say he was prolific with the possesions but he mostly found team mates by hand and foot whilst under the pump. Put his head over the ball too.

Mostly by hand if I recall. Was hoping to see the bloke take a bit of responsibility and hit a few targets by foot. 3 kicks, 7 handballs, according to the AFL website.

I'm doubting the guy, but to be fair, I didn't mind that - thought he showed a bit of balance and endeavor. Had no other options.

I don't mind guys taking the game on either, but he doesn't have the size to break tackles and if he was selling candy he didn't leave with any kids in his van.

Mostly by hand if I recall. Was hoping to see the bloke take a bit of responsibility and hit a few targets by foot. 3 kicks, 7 handballs, according to the AFL website.
Similar to Salem (only 9 touches) he had low numbers but was in the thick of it and both didn't hold back. 5 tackles shows not only did he have a dig but they stuck as well which is a good effort in those conditions.

Bad:

- Colin Garland. It would be melodramatic to say he's 'at the crossroads' after one meaningless pre season game. But he doesn't get a game this year if he wants to to carry on with that crap. Last year he had excuse, this year, none.
Yep - Garland has slid from the fringes of my round one side. He'll have to put in a big effort in games two and three of the NAB challenge to redeem himself. He's at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar to Salem (only 9 touches) he had low numbers but was in the thick of it and both didn't hold back. 5 tackles shows not only did he have a dig but they stuck as well which is a good effort in those conditions.

Yeah, would've liked Salem to get more of it, but I thought he was more encouraging. Also hit a few targets neatly by foot - already looks to be one of our best kicks. I find it hard to get excited about much that Toumpas did. On that evidence, he's not in the round 1 side (IMO).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back