Preview NAB Challenge: Melbourne v Fremantle, Fremantle Oval - March 5

Remove this Banner Ad

What? He made excellent decisions under pressure last night.

It was a slow game and he did nothing special. He got caught holding the ball but otherwise he pinged a few handballs around without doing anything particularly right or wrong. Would've liked to see him tell Harry O to * off and deliver the ball into the forward 50 himself... instead he gave him a dinky 1 metre handball forwards. Bit of a worry he didn't take that on in a practice match.

I'll watch from 1/4 time onwards tonight and post my thoughts, but encouraged by Lumumba and Newton slotting straight in.

Is there a link to official stats anywhere? Interested to see clearances and I50s.

What? He made excellent decisions under pressure last night.
He's copping it on Demonland too. I just don't get it.

It's pretty obvious that Roos and co are focussing on certain aspects of each players game, particularly the younger players. Toump stood up in most situations last night and I've never been an advocate for him historically. I've always been in the "wait and see" camp.

Even the commentators mentioned him at the end of the game along with Salem as playing a more dependable brand of footy.

You said Jetta could be our Rioli. Maybe we should of kept Strauss and he could of been back up for Jamar in the ruck?
I did say that, still believe it, but when he's doing good things down back and we have garlett, jkh, and Kent up there, then you leave him to what he's doing well.

Strauss was s**t. Made bad decisions, couldn't get on the park consistently, injury prone, meant to be a laser but I always wondered about that.

But back to Jetta, the guy can play. Forward, back or mid, the guy can do the job, but has probably more than likely a victim of either thinking too much or just not knowing what the coach wants of him. After all they say most of what makes you a good footballer is between the ears.

Not so sure about that. He's lucky none of Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Stretch were playing - if they'd had a run and any looked at home at the level, Toumpas is going to find himself behind a lot of players in the midfield. Wasn't much poise, run and carry or elite kicking on display last night.

All I'm suggesting is that with his style of play, he could easily be one of those players that hits his straps after 4 or 5 years. I reckon he has a few confidence issues to overcome so I like it when he backs himself to do something - even when he stuffs it up.

Plenty of decent mids have taken longer than 2 seasons to come good, and it's not panic stations after 1 praccy match.

That said, we are in agreement that he hasn't shown much as of yet.

Was an encouraging game, especially as we had a lot of guys who weren't quite there the whole game.

Kent, Dunn, Garland, McDonald, Matt Jones, Pedersen were all poor and their effort was a bit off too.

Newton, Garlett and Lumumba looked great pickups, Frost will become one in time but needs to improve his decision making.

Toumpas impressed me with his willingness to compete and his improved strength in contests - that alone gives me plenty of hope that he'll come on this year.

Michie was poised and effective.

Hogan was a little off but competed hard, key forwards don't really get to practice with full contact in the pre-season so he'll come on in leaps and bounds the next couple of weeks.

Watts and Vince as link-up players should help our forward delivery significantly if they can get fit for round 1, add Howe and Viney and we were still a bit off our strongest team.

I was also pretty happy with Toumps work last night, by far the most willing he's looked in my opinion and looks stronger and smoother.. we can expect him to all of a sudden come out and play like Dom without playing any footy..

Also think we really missed Howe for his relief marking down back, for mine Garland is in massive trouble when he is back.. add viney and Vince into the midfield and watts to half forward and our team looks pretty decent for a change

While we were still playing our defensive game, it looked like were trying to move the ball along a lot quicker when we had it, so hopefully we us scoring bigger scores this year. Winning the inside 50's may be a reflection of that.

Dunn and Gawn will be filthy on themselves for that effort. They have a couple of games up thier sleeve for redemtion

Total shennanigans anyway. Roos trialed different blokes kicking in, and a forward line without talls in the second.
I believe we were not coached to play our best ( why would you)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a slow game and he did nothing special. He got caught holding the ball but otherwise he pinged a few handballs around without doing anything particularly right or wrong. Would've liked to see him tell Harry O to **** off and deliver the ball into the forward 50 himself... instead he gave him a dinky 1 metre handball forwards. Bit of a worry he didn't take that on in a practice match.
Harry O was running past with momentum. It was unselfish, team-oriented play that resulted in a mark (and goal) to Hogan. I feel like Toumpas can do no right with some supporters.

Harry O was running past with momentum. It was unselfish, team-oriented play that resulted in a mark (and goal) to Hogan. I feel like Toumpas can do no right with some supporters.

They were both running forward in space but the issue is they were making the same run (close enough to hold hands... it literally was a one metre handball). Harriet should've gotten out of the way so Toumpas could hit the target as it was adding an unnecessary handball and chance to * up the play by doing what he did.

I feel like Toumpas can do no right with some supporters.
Imagine he went at #1 instead of #3. :eek:

He'd probably have a dedicated thread each year where he was :fire: for whatever he did.

People seem to forget that Ablett Jnr & Watson took a while to establish themselves.

There's no way based on that performance that he will be in a position for round 1 , looking at him he has almost reached the standard of first year player...

Already now newton and lumumba will start in front of him and even Vandenburg looked more comfortable at the level

Sure he was more involved but he has reached the level Salem reached on debut last year

Imagine he went at #1 instead of #3. :eek:

He'd probably have a dedicated thread each year where he was :fire: for whatever he did.

People seem to forget that Ablett Jnr & Watson took a while to establish themselves.

I never buy this argument. For every Ablett or Watson there are hundreds that end up on the scrap heap.

Toumpas will be given time, but there's one glowing fact that can't be denied, he doesn't have an elite AFL trait. Some will mention his kicking, but's it's not elite by AFL standard.

I never buy this argument. For every Ablett or Watson there are hundreds that end up on the scrap heap.

Toumpas will be given time, but there's one glowing fact that can't be denied, he doesn't have an elite AFL trait. Some will mention his kicking, but's it's not elite by AFL standard.

Those two blokes also have a tiny bit of pedigree...

Was a good hit out at probably my favourite ground in W.A.

What I liked
- Frost. Easily most impressive. Went some way to satisfying my doubts over pick 25. That tackle in the first 5 mins. Just a competitive athletic beast. Watching him run away from blokes with ease.
- Hogan. Fought for everything with poor delivery. Bringing down that ball kent crumbed. Love the way he moved up the ground to get more involved. Wasn't his best day but he got through and did a few good things.
- Tyson and Nate Jones. Same old.
- Kent. Love the way he goes about it.
- The talk. Blokes demanding the footy. Toump, frost, the prince, Hoges and salem literally screaming for the pill. It's just great to see them wanting the footy after years of hot potato. You could hear toumpas everywhere.
- The Prince was solid and just what we need off half back and on the wing.
- Newton and Vandenberg. Handy pick ups.
- No major injuries
- Competitive around the ground all day.

Not so much
- Grimes. WTF. He appears to being going even further backwards. Literally saw him touch the ball maybe 5 times, cringed every time.
- Mckenzie. bringing on vandenberg nearly won us the game, bringing on mckenzie pretty much sealed it.
- Bail :(
- We struggled in the 2nd when Ross threw the extra man back. Had all the possession but just bombed into our f50 usually straight to the free defender. Probably due more to the conditions.

Wouldn't be too harsh on the dropped marks, errant kicks. Strong wind, 32 degrees and the sun was a shocker. This was ten minutes after the final siren.

11025952_10153048199795490_6537399385649844250_n.jpg

Was a good hit out at probably my favourite ground in W.A.

What I liked
- Frost. Easily most impressive. Went some way to satisfying my doubts over pick 25. That tackle in the first 5 mins. Just a competitive athletic beast. Watching him run away from blokes with ease.
- Hogan. Fought for everything with poor delivery. Bringing down that ball kent crumbed. Love the way he moved up the ground to get more involved. Wasn't his best day but he got through and did a few good things.
- Tyson and Nate Jones. Same old.
- Kent. Love the way he goes about it.
- The talk. Blokes demanding the footy. Toump, frost, the prince, Hoges and salem literally screaming for the pill. It's just great to see them wanting the footy after years of hot potato. You could hear toumpas everywhere.
- The Prince was solid and just what we need off half back and on the wing.
- Newton and Vandenberg. Handy pick ups.
- No major injuries
- Competitive around the ground all day.

Not so much
- Grimes. WTF. He appears to being going even further backwards. Literally saw him touch the ball maybe 5 times, cringed every time.
- Mckenzie. bringing on vandenberg nearly won us the game, bringing on mckenzie pretty much sealed it.
- Bail :(
- We struggled in the 2nd when Ross threw the extra man back. Had all the possession but just bombed into our f50 usually straight to the free defender. Probably due more to the conditions.

Wouldn't be too harsh on the dropped marks, errant kicks. Strong wind, 32 degrees and the sun was a shocker. This was ten minutes after the final siren.

View attachment 114331

That's a nice post, well done mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back