Preview NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle. Sun 13th, Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: BeanDip NAB Player Analysis

From hawthornfc.com.au

Ruckman Max Bailey, who has spent 18 months on the sidelines and endured three knee reconstructions, should also return after being held back on Sunday.

"He played a trial game for us down in Tassie, and we just wanted to nurse him through a bit [and] make sure his preparation's right," Clarkson said.

"He just had a little bit of swelling on that knee in that Tassie game."

Yeah I read this too, not what we want to be hearing

Re: BeanDip NAB Player Analysis

Yeah I read this too, not what we want to be hearing

Just listened to the presser and Clarko said didn't even fly west. I think they are taking the route that it is precaution, precaution, and if there is the slightest doubt, precaution again! I am sure the club is as nervous as us about getting him up and going!

Number 41 for us - was that duryea or menegola?

Whichever it was I think they'll make the grade. Fluffed a lot of marks, handballs, but JUST KEPT GOING.

Dust off the cobwebs, settle the nerves and this guy will be great for us. You can't teach second efforts.

LP, No.41 is Duryea. Both he and Menegola showed good signs:thumbsu:

Super happy with the kids.

Yes, Cheney gave a few worrying moments but with Murphy gone the poor kid found himself one-out in defence against some much bigger bodies and did ok I reckon.

And Schoe struggled but a couple of times when he lead right up into the centre square he got fed the ball and then dished it off. This would be the kind of role we'd be looking at him for in the seniors, so not all bad from him.

Most pleasing was that all the kids looked competent, and cofident that they belonged.

I hated the no forwards plan in the first half V the coasters.

Very happy with Savage. When he chooses to get involved he can play. Sheila was strong in close and his kicking had good penetration. Punky is coming along very very nicely.

Of the new chums Litherland was impressive. Did one spoil down deep that showed he is up to it.

Schoey and Lisle are not hard enough at the contest. Reckon both will struggle.

LP, No.41 is Duryea. Both he and Menegola showed good signs:thumbsu:

agree - made a few errors but both won the ball at times and looked lively - Savage, Sierakowski & Litherland showed a bit - WhiteX showed that he had developed as a player - and Cyril is delicious and Burgoyne is silk. ;)

All in all a very pleasing outing - exceeding expectations.

Absolutley wrapped with the performances on the weekend.

To put out our rookie side up against an 80% full strength WCE and Freo sides, was a great performance.

Who really impressed me and would slot straight into the best 22 were:

Poupolo (Love the look of this bloke, Will be my fav player I think!!)
Savage (This man is in our best 22)
Lisle (Would be a great 3rd forward as support to Buddy and Rough)
Schneider (Rookie I think, will need time to develop, but will be a jet!)
Bruest (Looks in good shape)
Cheney (Did some nice things under pressure)
Smith (Speed and can kick it a mile)
Mengola (Another rookie that will be a likely type)

The whole team was great. What was noticable was speed and numbers hunting the ball, oh and kicking long and spotting up forwards. If buddy and rough played, they would have cleaned up. Im excited, we have great depth now and our new game plan is very nice to watch.

The 18 senior players that were at home watching the boys run around should now realize that spots are definatley on the line. Its awesome.

Well done to Clarko and his staff. Heres hoping to a massive 2011 for the mighty hawkers!

Just on the recruiting since Pelchn arrived

2006-2007 we recruited for "The Future" and its not turned out so well

2008-2010 we recruited for "The Now" and it seems to be going a lot better

I think some people need to settle down! To say Stratton is going to be AA is very premature. The same for Smith, yeah he has pace but apart from that goal and a few speedy runs he didn't stand out as much as some of the others? To say he's in our best 22 is just ludicrous.

Lisle showed nothing for me. He looked slow, and not just slow, I mean SLOW. That mark he dropped was terrible. Yeah it could've been nervous and all that but c'mon, he shouldn't have dropped it.

The game plan looks okish. There were instances though where we were attacking and our forwards were up the ground leaving the forward 50 vacant. Or where we had one forward onto 2 or 3 WCE and Freo defenders. I'm not saying we didnt show anything, we definitely did. Until I see the seniors play against a full strength AFL side though, i'm not going to make any predictions or comments on how good we look.

Would love copy of the game (somehow) happy to pay postage whatever. Reading this entire thread is killing me...........love to see the real action.

(Away with my wife for her B'day all weekend) Did not see any footy. Help.

Just on the recruiting since Pelchn arrived

2006-2007 we recruited for "The Future" and its not turned out so well

2008-2010 we recruited for "The Now" and it seems to be going a lot better
That's great, but makes no mention of the real concern over that time, and something that Pelchen is not in charge of....development.

I think some people need to settle down! To say Stratton is going to be AA is very premature. The same for Smith, yeah he has pace but apart from that goal and a few speedy runs he didn't stand out as much as some of the others? To say he's in our best 22 is just ludicrous.

Lisle showed nothing for me. He looked slow, and not just slow, I mean SLOW. That mark he dropped was terrible. Yeah it could've been nervous and all that but c'mon, he shouldn't have dropped it.

The game plan looks okish. There were instances though where we were attacking and our forwards were up the ground leaving the forward 50 vacant. Or where we had one forward onto 2 or 3 WCE and Freo defenders. I'm not saying we didnt show anything, we definitely did. Until I see the seniors play against a full strength AFL side though, i'm not going to make any predictions or comments on how good we look.

Agree on Smith. Thought Savage out-shone him.

Think you are hard on Lisle. Rough's dropped plenty of marks like that.

Very happy with the way our team went about it, although we should have won both games.

Rioli was nice to watch running off half back too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's great, but makes no mention of the real concern over that time, and something that Pelchen is not in charge of....development.

Also a fair part of 2008 team would have developed under D_Mac at Box Hill.

Been a few iffy BH coaches since then

ALSO didnt the youngsters nearly beat the seniors in the intra club ?

Its going to be intersteing getting the experince-youth balance right in the season proper - might be a sort of collingwood 2010 type year, with regular seniors getting more Box Hill time

Of the new chums Litherland was impressive. Did one spoil down deep that showed he is up to it.
The contest where he was pinged for shepharding/making contact in a marking contest impressed me.
Mainly because he was looking for a body. As a young defender it's very easy to be lead to the ball, and lose the focus of making a contest with the body.
He looks like a defender to me, and shows the instinct to want to beat an opponent.
His ability to grab the ball and put a few quick steps in is exactly what we're after too. He needs to work on his disposal and decision making, but his first hit out was A-Ok to my eyes.

Hoping he can come on in the next 12 months, because he looks a real keeper.

Agree on Smith. Thought Savage out-shone him.

Think you are hard on Lisle. Rough's dropped plenty of marks like that.

Very happy with the way our team went about it, although we should have won both games.

Rioli was nice to watch running off half back too.

Yeah, it was mainly Lisle pace that bothered me. Even in contests he just seemed lethargic. Rioli and Burgoyne were terrific! So, next week what happens? This whole concept is confusing. If we do go through though what will the team look like? Will a few more seniors players get a run?

ECSTATIC with the game last night!

What was exciting was the cohesion and unity the whole group demonstrated throughout both games. Without senior experience to guide a whole team of young players, you could have forgiven them if they unravelled and threw the game plan out the window, but they didn't.

Personal performances:

Smith - Showed pace; actually thought he looked a little lost out there at times, but steadily improved over each quarter. Still some work to do, but very exciting.

Lisle - Overall, you have to give him a positive grade; knew where to lead, was our forward option on the day. No point analysing the dropped marks. He needs to work on pace too, but some encouraging signs!

Shiels - I was actually a little disappointed with Shiels. My expectation from him is v. high, so I thought he didn't do enough yesterday. However, like Smith et al, found more of the ball towards the later quarters, which is a good omen it’s only confidence.

Pop-eye - Fantastic!

Thought Cheney was promising too – we now have a number of v. solid defenders and in turn quite a solid defence. It won’t be easy to score with our backline in place and the teams’ tactics in place.

What was also pleasing what our pace and numbers to the ball. Our midfield broke even, if not won, a majority of the minutes we played.

Renouf should never be instructed to drift forward, and rather be a ruck who drifts back into defence, as I swear he has rarely kicked a meaningful goal in all his life and how the ball ended up in his uncapable hands when a goal was needed is a concern.

A concern? I thought the ball ended up in his hands thanks to a free kick on the wing and a 50m penalty (that was actually closer to 70) putting him in range of goal. If anything Renouf is more likely to drift back, where he was very handy chopping off opposition raids in the last part of 2010.

That said,it was a rubbish kick, never looked like he would kick it :p

Lisle - Overall, you have to give him a positive grade; knew where to lead, was our forward option on the day. No point analysing the dropped marks. He needs to work on pace too, but some encouraging signs!

Now lets see. Tall, thin, pace not quite right, ball bursts through hands, slow deliberate walk up, but leans back, misses shots he should get, and we are proposing him as a third tall.

Doesnt that sound a bit like Boyle ?

Didnt work then, and hard to see it working now. What we need more of is not tall forward targets, we need to get the movement between roughie and bud correct, and get more crumbing goals from midfielders drifting forward. Savage did a great job of that last night and I thought he was the most exciting piece of news to come out of the game

Now lets see. Tall, thin, pace not quite right, ball bursts through hands, slow deliberate walk up, but leans back, misses shots he should get, and we are proposing him as a third tall.

Doesnt that sound a bit like Boyle ?

Didnt work then, and hard to see it working now. What we need more of is not tall forward targets, we need to get the movement between roughie and bud correct, and get more crumbing goals from midfielders drifting forward. Savage did a great job of that last night and I thought he was the most exciting piece of news to come out of the game

Whoah, I never proposed him as a third tall.

A little harsh too, Lyn. He's only 20. Definitely agree with your second paragraph though.

Hey guys, sorry if i've missed it, but is there any highlights of last night's game up anywhere? or even the whole game footage? Keen to see the action I've been reading about.

Any help apprechiated.

I hated the no forwards plan in the first half V the coasters.

Very happy with Savage. When he chooses to get involved he can play. Sheila was strong in close and his kicking had good penetration. Punky is coming along very very nicely.

Schoey and Lisle are not hard enough at the contest. Reckon both will struggle.

Agreed.

Maybe most of us are overating our 2008 draft. Schoey and Shiels don't seem to be living up to the expectations many of us have for them. Lisle is slow, and even though he kicked two goals vs the Eagles he was extremely lucky and didn't look AFL standard IMO.

Savage was very impressive as was Stratton. Stratts looks a bit bigger IMO, could well be our full back this season when I thought he would maintain last years role as third defender. Stratton is one of those players that just keeps on improving.

Burgoyne looks amazing with the ball. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back