Preview NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle. Sun 13th, Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, sorry if i've missed it, but is there any highlights of last night's game up anywhere? or even the whole game footage? Keen to see the action I've been reading about.

Any help apprechiated.

Full replays are up on the afl website. Hope these links work if you want to right click and download:

http://cht-cdn220-is-3.se.bptvpd.ng...up/RD01/AFL11_NAB_rd01_haw_vs_fre_full_1M.mp4

http://cht-cdn220-is-2.se.bptvpd.ng...RD01/AFL11_NAB_rd01_wce_vs_haw_full_v5_1M.mp4

Hats off to Pelch, Bucky and Wrighty!!

These guys, mostly Chris Pelchen cop a lot of criticism for the stuff ups they make at the draft table and yes, there have been a couple of first rounder’s they made big blunders with, i.e. Thorp and Dowler. But having watched last night’s game and maybe it is a little early to make big statements, but I really liked some of the picks they have used in recent years.

Sam Menegola: this guy showed a lot of poise for a first gamer and reminded me a lot of Ryan O’Keefe of Sydney. He has the ground level skills to go with the onballers and also the marking ability to match the KPP. I know it is way too early but I thought we missed the jackpot with Ed Curnow in the rookie draft going to the blues at pick 18, 1 pick before Menegola, but I really think Menegola will make a bigger name in the competition than Curnow.

Tom Schneider: This is a huge call and maybe an unfair comparison, but when I seen this guy linking up through the midfield with quick hands and neat foot work, I thought to myself this is Daniel Kerr like. He also reminds me a bit of Gary Ablett in his early years with his running style and kicking for goal. This boy could be a real bargain as he went pick 36 in the rookie draft and I truly believe he will play seniors in 2011 as he has so much class and poise. Remember this guy as I to believe he will offer way much more value than Ed Curnow and Tom went 19 picks later in the rookie draft.

Shane Savage: This guy must play seniors in 2011, preferably starting in round 1. He has speed, neat skills, 50+ metre kick and has put on some size. I would say at this stage he will play before Isaac Smith and I think he will have an impact on the success we have this season as he offers the team that much needed weapon called SPEED.

Paul Puopolo: He impressed down in Launceston and again in Perth and at this stage I think he will replace Campbell Brown nicely. Browny has experience on his side and 150+ games to his name, but I think Puopolo will hold his own against the Eddie Betts, Steve Milnes and Mark Lecras.

Will Sierkowski: Never did a lot but for a NSW rookie he looked ok.Very nice kick and looked to have composure.

Angus Litherland: Really liked this kid and he reminded me a little of Michael Jamison of Carlton. Not huge in height but has the long arms to make the last minute spoil. Looks to have a little size about him already for an 18yr old and I would say on last night’s performance he will definitely make the grade.

BEN STRATTON: GUN!!!! This guy looks to have put on size and for those that remember back to when we last played the eagles, Josh Kennedy kicked a bag on him. Kennedy was too big and strong and totally outplayed Stratton, but last night it looked to be the other way around. Takes great pack marks and always seems to have time on his side and make the correct decisions!! I have read it before and I totally agree that he could make AA this year barring injury and poor form. Potential GUN!!!

All these guys showed last night that we potentially have some great up and coming players and none of them are first or second round picks in the national draft - just shows that our recruiters can do a good job!!

GO HAWKS:thumbsu:

A concern? I thought the ball ended up in his hands thanks to a free kick on the wing and a 50m penalty (that was actually closer to 70) putting him in range of goal. If anything Renouf is more likely to drift back, where he was very handy chopping off opposition raids in the last part of 2010.

That said,it was a rubbish kick, never looked like he would kick it :p
what irritates me is he has confidence in his ability to kick them and never thinks about dishing off to a good kick, or a quick pass to a team mate who could kick it, and rather goes back like a matthew lloyd trained player to line them up, and constantly butchers them.

Play with a bit of brain function is all I want, and only have a shot if you are straight in front 20m out! or less.

Bit worried as probably most are with Schoey... looks lost, weak & fumbly as all hell.

Where are going to play this kid?
Tall defender. His only instruction should be to stick to his man like glue, harass, spoil and don't worry about anything else. We have enough rebound defenders to cover for him.

The club should trial him in this role for a few games, preferably for the rest of the pre-season.

If he still isn't ready, then Milne should get a crack in the ones.

Was good to see Cheney having a good run around. Seemed to be fitting in really well today, hopefully he can find his way into the 22 over-time. No idea why we traded him, but our loss is your gain I guess :)

Was hoping Bruce would play, that'll be interesting when he debuts imo. Hope he does well, very good player although I was never a "huge" fan of his tbh. Like him as player, just never considered him one of my favourites. I think he'll fit right in running off the back flank somewhere, should create some good run/passages of play.

Don't remember alot of their names, but you guys did very well overall. Most of the team were Box Hill players, but to see them take it up to some senior players on a senior level was good to see. Plenty of pace and will to win the contested footy. Good Job guys :)

Yep watched the games again and was not blown away by Schoey. Just doesn't demand the ball and doesn't seem capable of taking a pack mark.

Can't see why we have spent the pre-season with him training as a half forward. Would have thought another year as a key defemder would be better.

Fingers crossed, but just hope the club doesn't end up moving him all over the spot.

Wanted to throw a couple of grains of salt into the mix after a 2nd viewing:

1. It took us over 20 mins to kick our first goal against WCE and 10 mins against FREO (who dominated us early). Our bad starts are still around. Further, our game plan does not look like one where we are going to kick lots of goals ala 2010. We are still going to be a 12 goal a game side. We need to be a 15-18 goal side each week given our cattle. Still not convinced with our game plan.

2. Renouf is a battler. If he is our number 1 ruck again this year we start behind the eight ball. We need Hale to stand up, Bailey to stand up or Lowden to come on quickly. If not, we are up against it.

But...

1. We may have found our second defender in 2 years - Litherland. The kid just does not fall over and is super quick and agile. Very similar to James Frawley who couldn't kick early in his career but is now reliable. Fingers crossed. Can defend and run off. Our days of pinch hitting up back may be in the past.

2. Grimley - the kid is our next superstar. Is going to be a gun. When he is strong enough he should hold down second ruck but can see him as a very mobile utility probably up forward moreso than defence in the long term. He is closer to seniors than I thought but really we don't want to be seeing him in 2011 as it means we have injuries.

3. Smith - ssooooo happy he is on our list. Him freewheeling onto a loose ball is going to make us so much more dangerous. He was pretty good on the weekend - was really getting going towards the end of the Freo game.

4. Sierakowski - if you watch the games again take note of this kid. Was brilliant against Freo. Might be a year away still but coming along really well. Kicking was a feature against Freo.

For mine its all about the game plan in 2011.

Wanted to throw a couple of grains of salt into the mix after a 2nd viewing:

1. It took us over 20 mins to kick our first goal against WCE and 10 mins against FREO (who dominated us early). Our bad starts are still around. Further, our game plan does not look like one where we are going to kick lots of goals ala 2010. We are still going to be a 12 goal a game side. We need to be a 15-18 goal side each week given our cattle. Still not convinced with our game plan.

2. Renouf is a battler. If he is our number 1 ruck again this year we start behind the eight ball. We need Hale to stand up, Bailey to stand up or Lowden to come on quickly. If not, we are up against it.

But...

1. We may have found our second defender in 2 years - Litherland. The kid just does not fall over and is super quick and agile. Very similar to James Frawley who couldn't kick early in his career but is now reliable. Fingers crossed. Can defend and run off. Our days of pinch hitting up back may be in the past.

2. Grimley - the kid is our next superstar. Is going to be a gun. When he is strong enough he should hold down second ruck but can see him as a very mobile utility probably up forward moreso than defence in the long term. He is closer to seniors than I thought but really we don't want to be seeing him in 2011 as it means we have injuries.

3. Smith - ssooooo happy he is on our list. Him freewheeling onto a loose ball is going to make us so much more dangerous. He was pretty good on the weekend - was really getting going towards the end of the Freo game.

4. Sierakowski - if you watch the games again take note of this kid. Was brilliant against Freo. Might be a year away still but coming along really well. Kicking was a feature against Freo.

For mine its all about the game plan in 2011.
totally agree.sierakowski was exceptional.he seems to have escaped any write up in the press,but i was very,very impressed with him.i didn't see much to like last year watching him at boxhill,but i was pleasantly surprised at how much he seems to have improved.is litherland, stratton in disguise?also,for anyone who hadn't seen lisle play before,i assure you ,his hands are normally alot stickier than he showed on the weekend.

totally agree.sierakowski was exceptional.he seems to have escaped any write up in the press,but i was very,very impressed with him.i didn't see much to like last year watching him at boxhill,but i was pleasantly surprised at how much he seems to have improved.is litherland, stratton in disguise?also,for anyone who hadn't seen lisle play before,i assure you ,his hands are normally alot stickier than he showed on the weekend.

Yes mate he was just a bit overawed from playing the game and playing Glass who has been a very good defender for many seasons. He still showed that he knows where to lead. Reads the play very well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the selection of "natural" defenders like Stratton and Litherland is starting to pay off bigtime. Both players look comfortable playing there and whilst it is way too early to make big predictions for either they both show a lot of early promise. Many forwards in the past have been transformed into excellent defenders but others don't make it as we all know with Dowler, Thorp and to a lesser extent Schoenmakers, all of whom looked less than comfortable at times in defence. Obviously I think Schoey is a better forward but he could still play in the defence as he has played well there in the past eg on Travis Cloke.
My point is that Stratton and Litherland are instinctive defenders who seem to be able to make the right decision more often than not and I am looking forward to watching both this year.

Too harsh on Schoey in this thread.

Struggled when playing deep and didn't impose physically but was a big part of why we beat Freo so comfortably. If he plays that lead up role effectively for the seniors we'll be a more direct side. Think Nathan Ablett.

Very excited to see our backline this year. I think Gibson is massively underrated on the back of last year's NAB cup performance (got pounded by Barry Hall) and since then nobody has noticed that he's pretty damn good.

Perhaps it's a lesson in making judgments on the basis of a single preseason match??

Good run, and nice to see some kids, but people read waaaaay too much in to NAB cup games.

Trying to analyse our game plan and structure based on who we had there is pointless.

Exactly right.

The WA Hawk supporters just enjoyed the opportunity of seeing the team (youngsters and all) and the fun of having bragging rights in a less than serious comp.....

Most of the supporters (Hawks and opposition) i heard were all saying great, lets have a look at some of the new players, if we win bonus, just don't want injuries..

Overall pretty pleased with what I saw. If the forward line had functioned in the first half against Weagles, Hawks would have won both games. As it is, what was essentially a second-string side full of youngsters did quite well against sides that had many more of their regular players in.

Although it's just the NAB cup, the signs are looking better for this year. Looks like we've got more players that are close if not ready to push for senior selection. The depth of the side has improved significantly.

Exactly right.

The WA Hawk supporters just enjoyed the opportunity of seeing the team (youngsters and all) and the fun of having bragging rights in a less than serious comp.....

Most of the supporters (Hawks and opposition) i heard were all saying great, lets have a look at some of the new players, if we win bonus, just don't want injuries..

Speaking of injuries - looks like the Wobblers just lost Nathan Brown for the season with a knee. Could we be so lucky as to not be decimated by injuries for a change? Maybe too early to start hoping for that.

Too harsh on Schoey in this thread.

Struggled when playing deep and didn't impose physically but was a big part of why we beat Freo so comfortably. If he plays that lead up role effectively for the seniors we'll be a more direct side. Think Nathan Ablett.

Very excited to see our backline this year. I think Gibson is massively underrated on the back of last year's NAB cup performance (got pounded by Barry Hall) and since then nobody has noticed that he's pretty damn good.

Perhaps it's a lesson in making judgments on the basis of a single preseason match??

I watched Bazza quite a bit last year becasus he performed well after being finished at Sydney.

More often than not, he scores when other forwards are bliocking for him. In our regular 2010 game we held him until our team tired and doggies were able to block for him

So there is the answer, you cant blame just one player

I started the off season feeling a bit flat about the mighty Hawks, losing Carl Peterson, B1 and B2, JKT, and Brownie, seemed like the next tier was being swept out the door - to be replaced with what?

After watching these NAB games i am feeling pretty upbeat about the season. Our best 22 last season was pretty good, top 4 probably, though a couple of injuries and we were really exposed, there looks to be a lot more depth in the side for 2011.

If these guys keep up this standard then it will be difficult picking the round1 team.

Savage, Shiels and Poo have got to be in the mix for round1 on the strength of their performances. Litherland doesn't look too far off senior material either, would really improve our backline with a second Stratton style defender across HB. Stratton looks like he will be the 1st choice for CHB this season.

I liked Sierakowskis game, the 43 floating about kept reminding me of Peter Murnane with his precise low drilling kicking style. Menegola looked very promising against Freo, and Smith bobbed up for a nice goal. Also Suckling performed the link role well, has a very penetrating kick - when he has time to wind up.

Although Lisle looked very ordinary in the first half against WC i thought his overall performance was pretty encouraging. Has a good presence about him and knows how to get to where the ball is. Despite this he will be lucky to land a spot in the 1's this season, unless there are injuries or budspensions. i think it is more likely we go for the fast crumbing HF type than a triple tall forward setup.

I would like to see Smith on the bench in R1, so that makes 4 ins for Brown out.. the question is how can you fit them all in?

I am glad that I am not the only one that has a huge question amrk over Renouf. Appreciate he got injured during the game, but thought he was just a battler at best, again.

Really hope Bails and Halo stay fit.

Renouf needs to spend the next 3 months doing some kicking drills. That ball drop of his is like my daughter's and she's 5. I know that was a terrible comment but geez the boy can't kick for nuts. If you are a footballer at the elite level you have to be able to kick the thing half decent. He tries hard and shows a lot of heart and really put his hand up last year but and its a big but if his kicking doesn't improve he will be overtaken quite quickly by Bailey if fit, Lowden and Grimley. Just hope for the kids sake he spends a lot more time focussing on it

Having now watched significant amounts of both games, I have to say that Pop, Savage, Smith and Bruest all looked like they could play round 1. Schneider and Menegola both have talent and seem incredible gets in the rookie draft!

I need to re-watch the games but to me it seemed that Sheils was not a permanent on baller. No idea what minutes he played. Was courageous and tough from the few times I noticed him but at least on one occasion he was in the backline so I wonder if this game was about playing him in a few roles to see how he responds. Or maybe he was tagging, I am just not sure.

I thought Lilse did a good job at presenting. Was almost never caught behind which was great to see. I think what he (and Shoey) suffer from is not so much a lack of speed but poor reaction time. When the ball hit the ground after a marking contest between Glass and Lilse, Glass was already moving towards the ball to pick it up and by the time Lilse began too look for it, glass had cleared it. I felt Shoey had the same issue. He had to think about it for a split second where the more experienced players were already acting. I thought Shoey showed much better decision making with the ball than this time last year. I think he was better than most people are saying on this sight although I think at this point he is a little one dimensional and needs to work on his response to a spoiled mark etc. before been a regular in the ones (which ever end of the ground he plays at).

BTW Burgoyne is an incredible player - I can't wait to see what he produces this season. Ditto Stratton. Looks to be "The Man" in the back line. And no. 33 was very impressive :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back