Preview NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle. Sun 13th, Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Taylor is still calling Lisle in the WC v Freo game, saying how much he has enjoyed his work tonight:p

Standouts (no comment on regulars from 2010):

Bruest - sets it up with the ball in hand. Finds the ball in the right spots up forward. Has to be in our round 1 side. He is a creative force and we need one badly up forward.

Schneider - someone compared him to Sam Mitchell pre-draft and is a very similar type (to the old Sam Mitchell). A real footballer. Killed em. Very lively even if not an athlete.

Grimley - a few years away but the kid will be a bloody gem. Moves like a midfielder. Will be a utility rather than ruck.

Litherland - is a better size than I anticipated (he might actually end up a KP defender). He is genuinely quick and agile. When he realises how far he gets clear from tacklers when he rebounds he will be able to steady before he kicks and his kicking will improve. He will play seniors in 2011.

Puopolo - didn't star but showed enough to suggest he understands how the game is played and will be good for us in 2011. Knows how to draw an opponent, knows when to tackle, etc. His kicking needs work (a bit inclined to slam it on the boot) but looked very competent in every other area.

Servicable:

Smith - kicking a 50m goal off 2 steps gave us a glimpse. He is work in progress but potentially so dangerous.

Menegola - I thought he would be a bit taller and stronger from watching his draft footage which showed him to be really strong overhead so was a bit disappointed with his size. But that disappeared quickly - the kid has an excellent football brain. His kicking is brilliant. There is something there no doubt. He has some class. A good prospect.

Siera - Unassuming type. Looked more comfortable out there as the game wore on. I reckon he will make it. May surprise in 2011 but more likely to feature in 2012. Good medium size.

Savage - Perhaps a bit cruel to not have him in the standout category but he was missing for a large period of the game before turning it on - it is the same as at VFL level.

Lisle - Very level headed. Kept presenting and won the front position. Tough gig playing on Glass and particularly early when our kicking into the forward 50 was terrible. Beat Silvagni who was a fellow VFL player 2 years back.

Milne - Didnt do a heap but got his hands on the ball a heap so gets to the right spots.

Williams - he is intriguing - just a battler and is pretty weak physically but there is something there with him. He is a genuine footballer. Worth persisting with for another year or two as he is a chance of coming good and being a good depth midfielder.

Through to the keeper:

Cheney - just a battler.

Duryea - looks like he is a compact, smart player and has some moves but doesn't.

Suckling.

Other:

Loved seeing Cyril up back. Just reinforces how badly we need some creative runners in our back half to regenerate it. Would not be disappointed to see him up back during the year.

Burgoyne - what a display that was.

Stratts - maybe we are trying to get a mental edge on opponents and tricking them that Croad is back as he looked every bit as commanding as Croad used to be.

Shiels, Schoey & Tuck were ok. Shiels intensity is bloody great.

Not to many red lines through our youngsters so so far so good.

Was cracking the shits about our game plan leading to us battling to score goals early against West Coast - still reckon we are too defensive but early days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stuff from the Hawks tonight. The kids did our colours proud, a few of the youngsters really stood up. Clarko would be more than happy, and the players will be all the better for the experience. Good strategy that payed off.

yeah let the weagles go thru.... I really hate NAB cups for the injury risks...at the same time I was pleased to see how well the youngies stood up under Rioli and Burgoynes guidance

RR, your post a page back sums up my thoughts to a tee. Maybe a touch harsh on Savage as you said, but your point is valid.

Anyway, couldn't have summed it up better.

I think we may have found a player in Litherland, really likes to use his pace and run with the ball. Really impressed with what i saw. Thought he was the pick of the young ones.

yeah let the weagles go thru.... I really hate NAB cups for the injury risks...at the same time I was pleased to see how well the youngies stood up under Rioli and Burgoynes guidance

NAB Cup or NAB Challenge - both seem to present an injury risk. Fact is, clubs want and need practice games prior to round 1 so there will always be a risk of injury to the club in games which don't carry premiership points. At least in the NAB cup we would play on the best available fields and we can watch it on TV ;)

NAB Cup or NAB Challenge - both seem to present an injury risk. Fact is, clubs want and need practice games prior to round 1 so there will always be a risk of injury to the club in games which don't carry premiership points. At least in the NAB cup we would play on the best available fields and we can watch it on TV ;)

Exactly what i was going to say. Don't know why people are happy that we might be knocked out. I would prefer to play on the proper fields then some crappy uneven and thus more dangerous footy field.

If only Whitty or Renouf (i knew he would miss tho) had kicked it in. We deserved to move in. Our kids did awesome today.

Really liking the sound of Schneider! I'm hoping he might get a go! Savage too... seems like his confidence is building. Pretty damn happy with our young guys...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back