Game Day NAB Cup Round 1 - Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game and Nick Robertson really stood out for you guys. I was really impressed by him, hard at it and looks solidly enough built for a first year player.

Other than that it seemed like a lot of your players just lacked either running ability or defensive awareness when it came to us winning the ball at your half forward line. Also seemed to leave the middle open way too much, especially early on

Wow, this is going to be a seriously long and painfull season here on BF if this overblown hysteria is anything to go by :rolleyes:

Round 1 NAB Cup.

Babies vs Giants. Rookies and draftees vs Premiers.

New coach, new game plan vs premiership coach, AFL standard setting, well rehearsed game plan.

Zero playing experience together vs hundreds of games.

I'm not quite sure what you were looking for? Some sort of miracle???

Some of you seriously need to reign in your expectations and loosen your grip. By all means be disappointed but gezuz its a bit soon to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Tonight was about reality... mistakenly I thought for the players. For the young guys to experience the speed and pressure of AFL. To understand the work they have to do, the trust they need to build and the belief that tomorrow you get to start again. That every game is chance to learn to improve.

The real reality check was for some of us as supporters apparently.

With all the upheaval and fresh starts, new blood, new structures, new personnel, new plans and strategies from the board right through coaches and players, somehow we were supposed to take our first run on the park with all that baggage and kick arse???

Yeah right.

These boys know whats ahead of them now. Theres no more trying to explain it, they've seen it. Hawthorn did us a favour by playing such a strong team - our guys will know what to expect when they hit the premiership rounds. I'm glad we played them and not St Kilda blooding as many kids as us... it would have been pointless.

The real test is 6 months from now. 12 months. 2 years. Tonight was the start of new chapter in the Lions story. One thats got years to write and unfold.

And if the thought of having to write that many more withering assessments of just how s**t we are scares some of the more hysterical well maybe thats a good thing.

This post is worth more than a like.:thumbsu: Well spoke, NLD.

IBwRhT2.jpg

Really sad I couldn't live post in this game - I reckon I could've had fun.

With regards to the game itself, I saw the first half and it was pretty much as I expected. Anything under 100 points at the and we would've been playing outside ourselves, I think. New game plan, new team, new coach, newbies vs Much Of The Premiership Hawthorn Team.

I think it was an excellent idea to play all the young guys, and as others have stated, gives Leppa a really great platform to start with. "Well guys, this is as bad as it gets, now you know what that's like ... now let's go work hard to bridge that gap".

Loved some of the commitment of some of the guys - particularly Robbo - excellent to see that he's transferred that training intent onto the big stage. He'll end up developing like Harwood if he keeps it up and will become one of those genuine hard ball winners and tacklers that we need.

The only thing that I was actually disappointed about was Lisle. I really think he had an opportunity to show that he can go hard at the ball ... but he just didn't. It's a little unfortunate to think that he genuinely is one of our best options up front.

I had an absolutely sensational steak at the Turf Bar tonight. Sensational. And a double of Talisker.

Anyway, what are the rest of you talking about?

Haven't read the thread but boy Hayes is impressive. Finds the ball in traffic so well...like a young, blonde skinny Simon Black.

O'brien is also super agro on field. Liked Harwood, Zorko, Green and Crisp was okay.

Otherwise nothing much else to say. Outclassed and given the run around all night.

It's seriously one ******* game, and pointing the mistake's towards lisle is the cowards way out, seeing as the whole team played s**t, plus as long as guys like polkinghorne are still on the list, lisle will still look great in comparison.
Nah Lisle was s**t. Only NAB but didn't do a single thing right except draw an in the back free in front of goal...which he then missed. I've never been a fan and tonight confirmed why. Hopefully he is 'saving himself' for the season proper though I am not convinced.

On a different note Polkinghorne down back was an interesting move. Replacement for Yeo in my mind.

The only one I'll be harsh on is Lisle. What the hell is wrong with him? Surely he can see this laconic, unaggressive attitude on field holds him back.
Robertson looks good, as does Bourke. Crisp showed 3 or 4 glimpses of his natural ability and I'm tipping that he'll make it as an AFL player.
Gee Hawthorn are entertaining. Roughead, Hale and Gunston won't miss Franklin in the slightest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one I'll be harsh on is Lisle. What the hell is wrong with him? Surely he can see this laconic, unaggressive attitude on field holds him back.
Robertson looks good, as does Bourke. Crisp showed 3 or 4 glimpses of his natural ability and I'm tipping that he'll make it as an AFL player.
Gee Hawthorn are entertaining. Roughead, Hale and Gunston won't miss Franklin in the slightest.
Couldn't help but think Hawks team selection and endeavor was a "**** You Buddy"

12 (ish) battle hardened vets who played in the game that decided the premiership last year. 12 (ish) guys who have played anywhere from five to (mostly zero) games vs even the most mediocre the competition has to offer.

Remember how good Des Headland looked in 2002 when the other teams had half a team full of guns to worry about first? This is why Bradley Hill and the New Zealander (we KNOW he's from NZ guys!) can look good.

It was never going to be pretty. One team has had pre-season after pre-season pumped into them, the other team has one to maybe a few.

It's like when you're a kid and you play sport against your dad for the first time. Eventually he beats you so bad without seeming to try because of the size advantage and experience... and you just stop. We stopped for half the game. Then from embarrassment or the Hawks simply getting bored we snagged a couple late.

We couldn't break a single line all night, and I think it was the third quarter before we strung together more than three possessions in a row that weren't totally rushed.

Not the end of the world, but not a good marketing ploy when that's the first publicised hit out for 6 months. Leppa better pull out some tricks for the GC game, or the Qld press will bring out the big brother / little brother dross early this year.

i know leppa said it wasn't about the scoreboard it was about executing the game plan & what they did with the ball when they had it... but it was hard to see a game plan last night ... they didn't get much of the ball & when they did they muffed it or turned it over ... hawthorn got so many easy goals ... whilst brisbane struggled again in the forward line, no-one able to take a mark .... and their disposal under pressure was absymal (still!!). hawthorn swept the ball away & into the forward line time & time again with complete ease. it would seem nothing much has changed from last year. all I can hope is that when all the first choice players are back that things are a little different.
I went primarily to see the new kids ... and was happy enough to have done that, they tried hard under extremely difficult circumstances.
I was incensed at the umpiring, not that it would have made any difference, but the the inconsistency & ticky-touchwood frees that went against brisbane, many in the hawks forward fifty which resulted in goals, was infuriating.

To be honest I flicked between our game and the cricket. Normally I hype myself up for games (I know that surprises some of you) but last night was always going to happen. Leppa's plan is all about rd 1. I wouldn't crack in too hard at the likes of West, Lisle and Maguire. It was a non competitive environment all over the field. Sure we would like to have seen more from them. But I will hold back my judgements until they are surrounded by our senior team. On the rookies

Robertson- He will solve some of our clearance issues moving forward. The blokes loves to get first in line for the footy at the contest, he is a real extractor type. Let's hope we embrace that and not try to turn him into an outside player but just let that develop naturally as it did with the likes of Sam Mitchell.

McStay- Great build, judged the ball nicely in flight on several occasions and showed a bit of competitive instinct in a really tough environment. Looks solid.

Aish- undersized but knows how to move around the footy field. The bloke will be cream on the cake and will benefit from Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Moloney and co being around him.

Bourke- Moves like an AFL footballer, I know he has made a name for himself in the local league now as a defender and he looked right at home there last night. Wouldn't mind betting that if he got a chance in the forward line he might handle himself pretty well. He is my rookie elevation as soon as it is possible.

The rest of the evening was blah, Lester is a good extractor and he has to be a handball release footballer because his foot skills are average at best. His work at the contest is impressive though.

Looking forward to seeing a team resembling our Rd 1 line up next Sunday.

Couldn't help but think Hawks team selection and endeavor was a "**** You Buddy"
Did anyone else enjoy the goodbye Buddy sequence at the start of the game? Anyone would have thought he died.

The best thing.WE get to enjoy a second serve when Channel 7 does it for Round 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an absolutely sensational steak at the Turf Bar tonight. Sensational. And a double of Talisker.

Anyway, what are the rest of you talking about?

Well I had some nice fish and a couple of cleansing Fat Yak ales at a Mediterranean restaurant in West End. Then I went home and watched the cricket for a while. Then I went to bed and slept well.

What's all this about a game of football?

..... what a waste of everyone's time (players, supporters, sponsors etc)

The young players aren't going to learn a lot if they never have the ball.
That's what I'd take out of last night.
Pre-season games have value, even if the win itself is not of particular importance. But sending young kids out to be witches' hats wastes a precious practice game. I don't particularly understand why the two coaches pitted such unbalanced teams against each other, I'm sure no-one who saw that game took anything useful out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back