Narrm - Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Ignoring the "Melbourne" will ensure people get shitty, and it will just divulge into a racist/not racist shitfight.

Melbourne/narrm probably better to avoid it.

Wondering what sort of conversations this is going to start.... Seems tokenistic to me, but good on them for at least thinking outside the box, just not sure what it achieves or solves.
Maybe in Pride round they can also rename themselves to the Elton Johns, and on Queens Birthday they could be called Elizabeth or Buckingham.

Never takes long in these sorts of threads for the flogs to out themselves.

Well done Dees.

Would love to see Carlton do something similar. I don’t know enough about the history of the area to suggest what.

Narrm Blues

I always assumed the name for the land was 'Wurundjeri'. That's what's always listed on the AFL site and mentioned in the Welcome to Country.

Wurundjeri are the people.
Narrm is the land.

maxresdefault.jpg

I always assumed the name for the land was 'Wurundjeri'. That's what's always listed on the AFL site and mentioned in the Welcome to Country.

Wurundjeri are the people.
Narrm is the land.

maxresdefault.jpg
I didn't know Melbourne's indigenous name until today. Great initiative and simple things like this add to people's knowledge and, perhaps, respect of Aboriginal history. Good on Melbourne for being the first to think of it. I know other clubs following suit would seem like simple copying, but I still think I'd like to see it. Fremantle is Walyalup, West Coast would have to choose Perth (there's a few options, including Mooro or or Goomap), or Noongar Boodja, which covers the coast but only the South West part.

A fantastic initiative by Melbourne, and really reflective of a lot of work the AFL and its clubs have done for a while now. While it can seem tokenistic to some, the whole point is that a group of people who have experienced marginalisation are told that they matter and their voices are heard. Education is only one step in reconciliation; having the aggrieved party feel valued by the effect of that education is what moves it along further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here we go again. Melbourne FC goes completely woke. What a load of S..t.

Where does this crap end. It’s just a pity nobody’s going to have the courage to take them on and call this rubbish out. Football is becoming a branch political party, forcing left wing ideology down the collective supporters throats.

OK boomer

Where does this crap end. It’s just a pity nobody’s going to have the courage to take them on and call this rubbish out. Football is becoming a branch political party, forcing left wing ideology down the collective supporters throats.
You should show some courage and speak up about it.

Agreed, woke organisation that hasn't lost a game for about 600 days.

Nobody is making this political except for you. I would've thought acknowledging the indigenous people of our land during a round that we dedicate to the indigenous people of our land is a pretty natural thing to do, no? Sorry that the use of the word Narmm offends you so much.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, if you read my original quote I said good on them for thinking outside the box and doing something. Doesn't hurt anybody... Maybe just sounds like a compromise.... If they feel so strongly about it why don't they officially rebrand to Narrm FC?
C’mon, you’re not actually that dense, right?

it's our worst indigenous round jumper imo, the hawk ruins it, the rest is sick as though
Hawk, or an Eagle? I would’ve thought the latter as I’ve often seen it used in Boon Wurrung signage in St Kilda. I think it’s called Bunjil - but I might be wrong.

Anyway, it’s a great idea, will teach kids (and plenty of adults) the name. Only the truly smooth brained will dislike it.

I love it even without all the neanderthals raging at it, that really does elevate it a bit tho.
Nice being a club that crushes teams on the field and leads off the field. Not long ago we did neither. Carn Dees :)

Putting aside the other drivel in your post, I do love when conservatives deride 'left wing ideology' for horrific, backwards ideas such as respecting people regardless of their race, gender or sexuality.

How truly awful that we're acknowledging the world's oldest living culture and the owners of the land we colonised.

And good lord, if you think the AFL is an arm of leftist politics, you probably think the two major parties are :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back