Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it would be a wonderful idea to make the number 28 the new first pick draftee number. Murph has similar qualities to Presti, courage, clubmanship and selflessness

Nothing against Murph but I find it to be a pretty pointless exercise as a whole.

Nothing against Murph but I find it to be a pretty pointless exercise as a whole.

Yes it was waning when nick took the number over. But some people like it and it did keep Presti's career relevant.

I think in the end, murphy's memory is always better celebrated if he is mentioned in pub discussions 50 years from now...

This sucks. I was waiting for his return to fix up our backline.
Even though he didn't have much impact on GF day, He was instrumental in getting us there. He was arguably our most reliable defender last year. We wouldn't have got there without him.
Nathan Murphy, we salute you.

For the time he was on the ground he was as influential as anybody else out there.

I think it would be a wonderful idea to make the number 28 the new first pick draftee number. Murph has similar qualities to Presti, courage, clubmanship and selflessness

God no. Doing it once was bad enough, that was just an Eddie ego exercise and was always going to have an end date as soon as josh or Nick came onto the scene. I truly believe that if Presti had worn a different number than 35, that decision would never have been made. Traditions need to evolve, not just get invented out of thin air.

Even the famous 42 should return to circulation once Mrs Millane leaves this mortal coil ( a promise is a promise so not before).

Not opposed to handing the number to the best young tough guy on the list but nothing official.

I want to give a big shout out to the club for giving Murph the extra year on his contract at the start of the year. They knew it was very likely he’d have to retire and they did that to look after him financially. It’s very rare in today’s society where business/sport is cut throat with little regard for the people. It shows how much the club has changed since we got rid of Bucks and Eddie. Compare the treatment of Trealor to Murphy, yes different situations but the care for the person is totally different.

I have absolutely no qualms about the club giving him extra money (I think it is great), but they should definitely have done it outside the salary cap.

Frankly, from Murphy's point of view, it likely would have been far better financially and tax wise to just tell him they'll pay him if he retires and then give him a ceremonial role and spread the payments out to make it more tax effective for Murph.

Last edited:
i have to admit, my thoughts on the whole Presti #35 selfless clubman bit changed a tad once i'd heard the full story from young Presit's own mouth :oops: :oops:

from about 42 mins in ...

I have absolutely no qualms about the club giving him extra money (I think it is great), but they should definitely have done it outside the salary cap.

Frankly, from Murphy's point of view, it likely would have been far better financially and tax wise to just tell him they'll pay him if he retires and then give him a ceremonial role and spread the payments out to make it more tax effective for Murph.
Needs AFL sign off, but possibly (likely?) will sit outside the cap due to a career ending injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL, club & manager were working out the %, if any would be in the salary cap. They have Brayshaw as a precedent.

The counter to that is the recent reportage that the club expected Murphy to retire but signed him for another year as a goodwill gesture.

I reckon the AFL might be well within their rights to tell us it stays in the cap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The counter to that is the recent reportage that the club expected Murphy to retire but signed him for another year as a goodwill gesture.

I reckon the AFL might be well within their rights to tell us it stays in the cap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That would come across as the AFL knowing a player wanted to retire due to concussion issues but possibly having to play on for that contract period to make ends meet type of scenario? I think they’ll meet in the middle at least.

If that’s the case, they would have been better off giving him a golden handshake.
Not sure what you mean? For now, presuming Murph is delisted at the end of the year, all of his 24/25 payment goes into this year's cap. It will then be for the AFL, if they see fit, to give some relief by allowing a portion to sit outside the cap - presumably the 25 component.

Not sure what you mean? For now, presuming Murph is delisted at the end of the year, all of his 24/25 payment goes into this year's cap. It will then be for the AFL, if they see fit, to give some relief by allowing a portion to sit outside the cap - presumably the 25 component.
It's ludicrous that the AFL do not have a documented policy regarding medical retirement of players, and its impact on salary cap etc.
I would expect all players and clubs to be treated equally. It's not that hard:

For example, when the player retires mid-contract due to medical conditions, they are removed from the club list and the salary cap is reduced pro-rata, less any pre-agreed termination payout from the club. Any additional compensation received by the player is then ex-salary-cap.

But it seems the AFL would rather execute their own bias and make case-by-case decisions. Will be interesting to see how they treat Brayshaw in comparison to Murphy. Wonder if the 'good bloke' clause will come into play.

It's ludicrous that the AFL do not have a documented policy regarding medical retirement of players, and its impact on salary cap etc.
I would expect all players and clubs to be treated equally. It's not that hard:

For example, when the player retires mid-contract due to medical conditions, they are removed from the club list and the salary cap is reduced pro-rata, less any pre-agreed termination payout from the club. Any additional compensation received by the player is then ex-salary-cap.

But it seems the AFL would rather execute their own bias and make case-by-case decisions. Will be interesting to see how they treat Brayshaw in comparison to Murphy. Wonder if the 'good bloke' clause will come into play.
Not sure I understand your proposal, but one reservation might be providing some sort of across the board cap exemption for "medical retirements" opens up the potential for abuse/exploitation.

Not sure I understand your proposal, but one reservation might be providing some sort of across the board cap exemption for "medical retirements" opens up the potential for abuse/exploitation.
How would it be exploited? I am assuming an independent medical panel examines the player and confirms their permanent inability to continue playing on medical grounds. As I said if the existing player contract included payment for early termination then that stays in the cap.

How would it be exploited? I am assuming an independent medical panel examines the player and confirms their permanent inability to continue playing on medical grounds. As I said if the existing player contract included payment for early termination then that stays in the cap.
Still not following. Are you proposing an ex gratia payment on top of the remainder of the contract? Which would sit outside the cap?

Re: exploitation, for instance, where does "medical retirement" stop and "ageing out" begin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back