Toast Nathan van Berlo interviews for own job - Video

Should Nathan van Berlo remain Crows captain?

• Yes - for as far as the eye can see

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes - for a couple of years

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Yes - Until he has a son who can take over from him, his son will also be named Nathan

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • No - He should stand down immediately

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • No - He should stand down at the end of the season

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • No - He should stand down and shine Dangerfield's shoes

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

31 votes in total with 84% saying he shouldn't be captain. It would have been interesting if the same poll was held before the start of this season.

to be fair to VB there has been far worse captains...
Dom%20Casissi316aa12.jpg

EJ%20Smith%202.jpg

Appalling thread. Such disrespect for a leader of our Club.

Respect is earned, it is won and it is lost. Nathan van Berlo has lost my and many other supporters respect due to his appalling performance. The guy supposedly has the best endurance at the club. It certainly does not show on the footy field, he is the captain, what does he even do? Aside from fall over at most contests. I remember a guy who injured himself in a contest and got up and dished off the ball, I remember a guy who slammed into Anthony Rocca mid air and came away unscathed while leaving Rocca crying to mummy. Where * is this guy? I don't see him out there on the footy field. He averages 3 less tackles a game between last year and this year, tackles being one indicator of his performance as a tagger, he averages 1.9 tackles a game the only year worse than that is 2005 his first year playing.

Considering he is playing as a tagger he is terrible this year. The main problems I have with him this year are:

• Can't mark:
    • Always outbodied by midfielders who are the same size/smaller than him.
    • Drops lead-up marks when he does go forward.
  • None of his possessions have any impact on the game:
    • He gets a handful of scrappy handballs out from under packs a game, nearly all of them go to a player who is tackled/under immense pressure.
    • Gets a couple of kicks for touch from packs. Most of them go miles in the air and don't gain any distance, so what is the point? Doesn't follow the team plan of kicking it along the boundary with these kicks and a few get turned over in the corridor = inexcusable from a captain.
    • Any disposal-flattering uncontested possessions he gets are either kicked to a player on the lead and go over their head/chipped sideways in a nothing move.
      • Kick has gone to s**t in general.
  • Can't tag for s**t.
    • Not enough tackles. Not enough blanketing. Can't seem to keep up with his opponents this year either, they always are a metre or so ahead.
  • No leadership.
    • First time I've complained about his leadership ever. Even when we were terrible at the start of the decade he would always be yelling and directing. Now he seems quiet.

Respect is earned, it is won and it is lost.
Correct. You have earned little respect on this board!

Danger will become captain soon enough.

van Berlo's problem is the coaching has not settled him a role for the side, but then I don't expect you to have an informed discussion...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. You have earned little respect on this board!

You speak for the board do you?

I think not.

edit: Perhaps a bit harsh.

Danger will become captain soon enough.

Not soon enough.

van Berlo's problem is the coaching has not settled him a role for the side, but then I don't expect you to have an informed discussion...

You mean the various roles he is not good at, or the tagging role which he has been performing badly this season?

to be fair to VB there has been far worse captains...
cap_2109325b.jpg

Nah, I love VB but 100% agree with those saying he hasn't been settled down into a role. Has done a bit of everything this season. No wonder his form has struggled.

Back