Gaming NCAA Football 13 - The Adventures of Dirty Bird

Remove this Banner Ad

mine arrived in Melbourne today and now says transfer to local carrier for final delivery, but the delivery date has moved from today till Tuesday, when i checked yesterday the delivery date was still today, i despise DHL with how they F**k me around every time i use amazon and they get my package.

Recruiting just go for what is in team needs and where the team is thin, and other players that have the school you play as in there top 5. i normally just play as Stanford, but if you dont have a team it would be best to just play the "play now" quick games to choose a team that you like with there playbook and atmosphere.

as for the gameplay NCAA has been the better game for a the last few years now, a prime example is the no huddle system where NCAA gets to use the whole playbook, and how can madden still not have a good no huddle system?

Who did you order through? i got my Amazon pro Combat unis code email Wednesday morning

mine arrived in Melbourne today and now says transfer to local carrier for final delivery, but the delivery date has moved from today till Tuesday, when i checked yesterday the delivery date was still today, i despise DHL with how they F**k me around every time i use amazon and they get my package.

Recruiting just go for what is in team needs and where the team is thin, and other players that have the school you play as in there top 5. i normally just play as Stanford, but if you dont have a team it would be best to just play the "play now" quick games to choose a team that you like with there playbook and atmosphere.

as for the gameplay NCAA has been the better game for a the last few years now, a prime example is the no huddle system where NCAA gets to use the whole playbook, and how can madden still not have a good no huddle system?

Who did you order through? i got my Amazon pro Combat unis code email Wednesday morning
Great, thanks.

Got mine through Amazon to problems.

Mine arrived today :thumbsu:

Gameplay is so much more fluid and realistic than Madden 12.

So much to take in with dynasty mode for a rookie NCAA gamer!!

Any tips in dealing with recruitment etc? I've read that it is much more enjoyable to build a smaller school up than go with a 'ready to go' team, anybody vouch for this?
With recruitment, set the board yourself and let the computer deal with it. It's what I do.

Playing - Take a smaller school, I'm currently in NCAA Football 12 and playing with San Jose State. So much fun building someone up. I for one know if I get NCAA Football 13 (Dont know if I will, wont play online, and you cant get the conferences under 4 so you cant destroy the WAC like I should - Also no South Alabama apparently) that I will take UTSA, their football program has only been up and running for 1 year so you're effectively building them up from birth. Would be fun (and you have the Texas rich recruiting field down the line)

The schools I'd go with if I were you would be say San Jose State, UTSA, Texas State, North Texas, UTEP, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Massachussets, Akron, Kent State. The first 7 are s**t in recruiting rich grounds that could help, UMass is brand new and Akron and Kent State suck!

Thought so, thanks.

Which websites are best for importing?
I recommend - http://www.play-asia.com/

That said I'm not sure if I'll be importing this year, No updates to teambuilder coupled with the gameplay being an insult to football players world wide I just don't think I can give my money to EA again.

So yeah I probably will be getting it, I'm ashamed of myself.

Also, I enjoy taking a Teambuilder team from 120th (Or whatever it is now) to National Champions, Good challenge.

Also, I enjoy taking a Teambuilder team from 120th (Or whatever it is now) to National Champions, Good challenge.
I find it funner when you give everyone eligable a redshirt in your 1st year.
Makes that first year bloody hard, but it pays off as you have quality players for longer as your good new recruits come in!

With recruitment, set the board yourself and let the computer deal with it. It's what I do.

Playing - Take a smaller school, I'm currently in NCAA Football 12 and playing with San Jose State. So much fun building someone up. I for one know if I get NCAA Football 13 (Dont know if I will, wont play online, and you cant get the conferences under 4 so you cant destroy the WAC like I should - Also no South Alabama apparently) that I will take UTSA, their football program has only been up and running for 1 year so you're effectively building them up from birth. Would be fun (and you have the Texas rich recruiting field down the line)

The schools I'd go with if I were you would be say San Jose State, UTSA, Texas State, North Texas, UTEP, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Massachussets, Akron, Kent State. The first 7 are s**t in recruiting rich grounds that could help, UMass is brand new and Akron and Kent State suck!
Less than 6 hours later and I've ordered it :/

Any tips in dealing with recruitment etc?

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to play the games then just set the board in pre-season and let the computer do all the work.

If you are willing to put in ~20-30 minutes each "week" to recruit the best players possible, what you need to do is as follows:
1) Turn off all recruiting aids
2) Only have 10-15 players on your draft board
3) Actually look at the player's attributes when deciding if you'll pursue them, making sure to consider things like scheme fit
4) Spend 1 hour with the players you really want, and as much time as possible with the rest
5) Prioritise players according to how many schools they've narrowed down too (i.e. Top 5 > Top 8 > Top 10)
6) Know when to give up. Generally if you are more than 500 points behind the leader and that school is actively recruiting the player (or the gap stays the same or increases over a week or 2) then move on to another player
7) Only make promises that you can keep - you get bonuses for fulfilling promises but you also get penalised for not doing so (the worth of your promises are impacted by how much integrity they've had in the past)

Depending on how in depth you want to go, you might even keep a spreadsheet to figure out what topics score well for you.

Having not played 13 yet, I can't comment on how to tackle the pre-scouting aspect of recruiting that has been introduced

I've read that it is much more enjoyable to build a smaller school up than go with a 'ready to go' team, anybody vouch for this?

I think it is but it depends on what you want out of the game. I find building up a mid-level school (I've played 5+ seasons with each of Utah, SDSU & Baylor + a couple of team builder teams based on the rosters of mid level schools) and I find it more enjoyable than starting with an LSU/OSU/USC type team and winning the National Championship most years

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to play the games then just set the board in pre-season and let the computer do all the work.

If you are willing to put in ~20-30 minutes each "week" to recruit the best players possible, what you need to do is as follows:
1) Turn off all recruiting aids
2) Only have 10-15 players on your draft board
3) Actually look at the player's attributes when deciding if you'll pursue them, making sure to consider things like scheme fit
4) Spend 1 hour with the players you really want, and as much time as possible with the rest
5) Prioritise players according to how many schools they've narrowed down too (i.e. Top 5 > Top 8 > Top 10)
6) Know when to give up. Generally if you are more than 500 points behind the leader and that school is actively recruiting the player (or the gap stays the same or increases over a week or 2) then move on to another player
7) Only make promises that you can keep - you get bonuses for fulfilling promises but you also get penalised for not doing so (the worth of your promises are impacted by how much integrity they've had in the past)

Depending on how in depth you want to go, you might even keep a spreadsheet to figure out what topics score well for you.

Having not played 13 yet, I can't comment on how to tackle the pre-scouting aspect of recruiting that has been introduced

I think it is but it depends on what you want out of the game. I find building up a mid-level school (I've played 5+ seasons with each of Utah, SDSU & Baylor + a couple of team builder teams based on the rosters of mid level schools) and I find it more enjoyable than starting with an LSU/OSU/USC type team and winning the National Championship most years
Very indepth on the recruiting side of things :thumbsu:
But 1 little trick
If you're in dire need of 1 position, say you have no QB's, put the best x amount on your board from the get go, then after 1 week delete off the board who's not being targeted by others. In my current season of San Jose State I've managed to just about get a star RB because no one else is aiming for him. Back in a previous game of ncaa football I was Western Kentucky and grabbed on of the nations best QB's because almost no one was going for him (weird, I know) You can get some program changers this way, sure, it puts you on the back foot in recruiting needs rather than wants as you'll fall 1-2 weeks behind everyone else.

I agree with your other point too, I just don't find it enjoyable going with the big programs (well, unless im simming the season to get a trophy or 2 like the win pac-12 and bigten inaugrial championships). It's too easy to win and way too easy to recruit. I'll go with Boise State or the absolute worst, say an Idaho or San Jose State or even North Texas. They're probably the only 4 programs I've used in the latest Madden.

How long does it take to lure good 4/5 star prospects to a 3 star team?

Also, I've managed to become a 4 star QB first preference, but it says 'bust'??

How long does it take to lure good 4/5 star prospects to a 3 star team?

Next to impossible to nab a 5* prospect with a 3* team unless they've already got you high on their board or if they aren't being recruited at all (sometimes 5* prospects don't narrow down from Top 10 to Top 8 so dont get recruited by other schools)

Also, I've managed to become a 4 star QB first preference, but it says 'bust'??

Thats a new addition to the game this year. It basically means that when fully scouted, his overall rating is actually a fair bit less than what was expected when he just had a star rating (i.e. it might have been expected that he was an 80 overall guy, but it turns out he's actually only a 72 overall).

This video might be of some help to those new to NCAA Football and recruiting. It also touches on when to offer scholarships (basically at the start if you need to make up ground, or if you are the 1st or 2nd highest college on a players list to wait until you are the top team and then offer in the hope of getting an instant commitment)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ieULWS9FRQs

Next to impossible to nab a 5* prospect with a 3* team unless they've already got you high on their board or if they aren't being recruited at all (sometimes 5* prospects don't narrow down from Top 10 to Top 8 so dont get recruited by other schools)

Thats a new addition to the game this year. It basically means that when fully scouted, his overall rating is actually a fair bit less than what was expected when he just had a star rating (i.e. it might have been expected that he was an 80 overall guy, but it turns out he's actually only a 72 overall).

This video might be of some help to those new to NCAA Football and recruiting. It also touches on when to offer scholarships (basically at the start if you need to make up ground, or if you are the 1st or 2nd highest college on a players list to wait until you are the top team and then offer in the hope of getting an instant commitment)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ieULWS9FRQs
I kind of figured out the 'bust' in the end. Thanks though.

In order to attract the better players to a 3 star school, do you have to have a winning record etc over a few seasons in order to make your school more attractive to 4&5 star players?

Winning (having a winning record, winning your division/conference and winning bowl games) increases your school's prestige and therefore your star rating, which means that you can more easily attract and get commitments from better quality recruits.

As a general rule, you can only realistically expect to get players of the same star rating as your school or lower, and should be able to get a few rated 1 star higher than you if you recruit well (i.e. a 3* school should easily get 2* and 3* players and maybe a couple of 4* players, but won't get 5* guys. A 6* school should be able to get any calibre of player fairly easily)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning (having a winning record, winning your division/conference and winning bowl games) increases your school's prestige and therefore your star rating, which means that you can more easily attract and get commitments from better quality recruits.

As a general rule, you can only realistically expect to get players of the same star rating as your school or lower, and should be able to get a few rated 1 star higher than you if you recruit well (i.e. a 3* school should easily get 2* and 3* players and maybe a couple of 4* players, but won't get 5* guys. A 6* school should be able to get any calibre of player fairly easily)
I've gotten a 5 star QB with a 1 star school once. :p

But I've played ncaa 10, 11 and 12 and only pulled that off once.
Advantage was they wanted to stay close to home and Kentucky wasn't recruiting them allowing me (Western Kentucky) to take him.

after a few hours of playing it. I have to say it feels similar to last years with some good and some bad additions, the Main camera [TV camera over the QB] feels higher this year, but that could be due to the bottom of the screen being more crowded this year with the ESPN ticker and a larger score bug. the new catching animations are well needed and i love them no more catching the ball out of bounds not they dive/drag toes more often, Read and react D is a huge improvement IMO and makes it easy at times to get interceptions. Fumbles at the LOS seem to always go back to the offence. Heisman mode i havnt played yet, just some Dynasty and DL some rosters. but i loved the Hiesman mode on the demo could be the best new thing in the game, and have herd the DBs and HB/WR can do kick returns in RTG mode so i will invertergate that later.

The Amazon pro combat unis look cool, and like last year Oregon have almost 15 diffrent unis. and they have that kick ass Chrome helmet from the rose bowl.

I won't get to play it for another 3 weeks at least :(
Should have ordered through gamelane.
I ordered Saturday night, they get into the warehouse today and sent it today. Should get it tomorrow :)

Its more because I'm not home for the next 3 weeks than because of shipping (although I purposely chose the cheapest shipping because I knew I couldn't play it so soon after release).

Oh well, at least there should be some decent rosters out when I first get to play

Is this available to pick up anywhere or is Amazon the best bet?
have to order it.
I got it for $75ish on gamelane
I see playasia is going for about $55

ps - Has to be ps3 as it's zone free.

What online content are you talking about?
I only have access to roster share.
I cant do anything else. I need an American account don't I?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back