Review Negatives against Port (Maybe positives too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think he got dropped for no reason? There was a contest in the goal square last week. Allen had first run at the footy. He moved slow and went on arc allowing McInernie to get front spot. Didn't want it. Got dropped. The kid will be a 200 gamer, but anyone who thinks leaving him in for Hickey would have made a difference is kidding themselves. West Coast have a contested ball problem and if they persist with their system they will be bottom 4 come seasons end.
Yes, I remember that - wasn't a good look.

I think we have to acknowledge that part of our drop in form is age related. We're on the top end of the age spectrum, even a 10% drop in conditioning across the board would kill our cohesion, given how reliant we are on structure.

Like, we have never before been exposed by a team that applies pressure and runs in waves from half back have we?
Not making excuses for them just looking for some sort of explanation for their piss poor efforts. Yeah we have been exposed previously but I don't think we have been as bad before as the last 3 weeks.

It's not the match committee. Allen didn't want the ball last week. Not unusual for a young player coming through but the problem is it's symptomatic of the whole team. That's not a match committee problem.

The problem with poor performance invariably lies in one of these;

1. The list isn't good enough
2. The coach has lost the players
3. Some of the senior players have an attitude problem and it's trickling/gushing down
4. The game plan

The list is good. As good as any in the AFL. I also doubt Simmo has lost the players. It's likely a combo of 3 and 4, but here's the kicker; This side has had a contested ball issue since the flag. They even had it before the flag. The achilles heal of Simpson's coaching is he plays a game plan that revolves around zoning off, coralling and positioning to wait for the ball. When it works, it's the best system in the AFL but if the players can't execute it, it falls off a cliff. He nailed it in 2015 with the Weagles Web but lost the GF. Then the players couldn't execute and got exposed in contested ball. 2018, he nails it again and wins the flag. Last year, again, couldn't execute properly.

It is no surprise this is what it's come to.

Too many seasons of playing semi-contested ball have conditioned the players to be soft. The game plan is still good for AFL standard, just no longer for this group. Whatever it is, a lot of elite players are failing to execute this season. I don't see any other option than to throw it out the window and start hunting the ball. We can blame the players all we like but it's obvious to me the message is old and a new gameplan is needed to reinvigorate the playing group.
Are you confusing Allen and brander ?

Allen although undersized in the ruck goes hard at the ball when it hits the deck unlike brander who holds back .
Never thought of Allan as soft as he always tackles hard and crashes the packs

- the couple of minutes where Schofield melted down and basically cost us any chance of coming back was probably the most selfish and moronic 5 mins of footy from an Eagle for years. So unlike him normally.

- the couple of minutes where Schofield melted down and basically cost us any chance of coming back was probably the most selfish and moronic 5 mins of footy from an Eagle for years. So unlike him normally.

Need to send that campaigner home.

Full of negativity. Has been in the media talking about being disappointed in the AFL.

Toxic vibes coming from Schofield, and some of the other boys.

We weren't world beaters v Melbourne but that was a decent solid game by us.

So what happened since? It's like we partied on, that the season was completely done and then had to be dragged of the coach, kicking and screaming, to front up to a game.

Appears we just don't want to football. Not interested.
Still working from home and getting on the beers it seems.

Need to send that campaigner home.
Full of negativity. Has been in the media talking about being disappointed in the AFL.
Toxic vibes coming from Schofield, and some of the other boys.
Well, if any of that is true then need to cut them adrift quick smart...or sort it out.
Feels like something is going on within the team, since TK joined? :oops:
But it's just a downhill continuation of our form from end of last season...?
Positives - we 'may' get our mojo back at Optus with adoring crowds and fanfare.
Negatives - haven't heard anything of Rioli for ages, when is that resolved?
I think we cant run and are too slow because our bellies are full from drinking too much of our own bathwater - the downside of being a one trick pony in a two horse race in a far flung city in a disco-ball stadium!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again something minor but shows an unusual side the port players who were there all were in their gear. The eagles guys got off the mini buses dressed in anything but their gear.. just not professional

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is a bigger part of it than most will admit. We have a top 4 list and play like a bottom 4 team. No cohesion.

If we only start playing proper footy when we're back home it pretty much reinforces what we showed last year, that we drank our own bathwater after the 2018 flag and are only interested in playing when the going is easy.

It's exceptionally disappointing from a supposedly great club.
Comes down to the coaches and player leadership enforcing non negotiables each game

We are so stale and out of form its ridiculous. Most years we can go back home for an easy kill and that rebuilds form and confidence, so this is just really hurting.

We need to revitalise things, and would be great if we had some kids to come in and kick blokes like Darling, Cripps, et al in the arse. We are so bad right now now that just the change of playing blokes like Ainsworth and Edwards might help, even if they are not players in their own right.

Serious question, what whinging about the hub have WCE actually done? :think:

I'm hearing it thrown around a lot, how much we're apparently whining, what has actually been said?

After the first loss Simpson said we'll be headed home straight after the Richmond match or something, as we had no information so it's what we were planning on...

What else have WCE publicly done to criticise the hub? Seems to me we've been pretty tame. Players have all talked it up wih their golf holiday bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really wish they'd complain. Rather than bend over for the AFL i'd rather they actually said, yes this hub is s**t and we don't want to be here.

Beats just pretending everything is awesome whilst churning out diabolical performances and getting annihilated each week.

Also this from the mongrel punt article made me shake my head

"Whoever thought Tom Hickey was a good ‘in’ for Oscar Allen needs a mental health check. Seriously, poor selection there..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back