Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What the 'preserve the parklands' mindset has done is turn the areas into dry, barren, desolate wastelands.

What's there now in those north parklands is terrible.

No buildings allowed so absolute zero spectator facilities. No shade, no seating, no toilets, no clubrooms, no parking.

A bomb shelter of a changeroom that only services one (of four ovals).

Because the facilities are so sparse no clubs want to be there permanently. So nothing gets invested in upgrades or playing surfaces etc.

The playing surfaces are cement hard, uneven, poorly grassed. Actually dangerous to play on. But because open space is at a premium clubs/schools are forced to use the venue for matches.

An upgraded sports hub of the whole area would be gold and would benefit residents. But won't be allowed cos we gotta preserve those decaying, unusable, barren parklands.
Woke up in great mood this morning ..?

What the 'preserve the parklands' mindset has done is turn the areas into dry, barren, desolate wastelands.

What's there now in those north parklands is terrible.

No buildings allowed so absolute zero spectator facilities. No shade, no seating, no toilets, no clubrooms, no parking.

A bomb shelter of a changeroom that only services one (of four ovals).

Because the facilities are so sparse no clubs want to be there permanently. So nothing gets invested in upgrades or playing surfaces etc.

The playing surfaces are cement hard, uneven, poorly grassed. Actually dangerous to play on. But because open space is at a premium clubs/schools are forced to use the venue for matches.

An upgraded sports hub of the whole area would be gold and would benefit residents. But won't be allowed cos we gotta preserve those decaying, unusable, barren parklands.
This preserving the Park Lands mantra goes against Light's original ethos for the Park Lands.

He gave the space for recreational pursuits. As well as defence if the City.

Recreational pursuits in the 1800s needed little infrastructure. Hence all the open space with few buildings in that era.

Fast forward to today and I bet Col Light would be infuriated with how the Park Lands are being wasted. With much of it poorly looked after. He would be all for building infrastructure to aid modern recreational pursuits such as sport and the arts ie an Amphitheater in the Park Lands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fast forward to today and I bet Col Light would be infuriated with how the Park Lands are being wasted. With much of it poorly looked after. He would be all for building infrastructure to aid modern recreational pursuits such as sport and the arts ie an Amphitheater in the Park Lands.

That's a fair point. I mean, it's dangerous and sometimes dodgy to use the "if they were alive today, <historical figure> would think this", but I think it is a fair point - and it's just as dodgy to pretend that whatever you think <historical figure> wanted, by your own interpretation (i.e. nothing but bush), is what should stand forever and a day without variation.

It's not like we're wanting to put up pubs and carparks.

whats up with the aquatic center?? .. every now and then when i do come back to adelaide, take the kids swimming there. it is a bit old, but most high schools in sydney have as good facilities haha.

whats up with the aquatic center?? .. every now and then when i do come back to adelaide, take the kids swimming there. it is a bit old, but most high schools in sydney have as good facilities haha.

Nothing, the place gets hammered.

Its weathered obviously, but it is 60 years old. But the place is still a massive hub for families to enjoy.

on the rare occasion when i do come back to adelaide... this is exactly how it feels when i drive around there... nobody uses these areas... its a complete waste of space, even the grass dont grow.

1551919469444.png

1551919542522.png

1551919676875.png

1551919739453.png

This preserving the Park Lands mantra goes against Light's original ethos for the Park Lands.

He gave the space for recreational pursuits. As well as defence if the City.

Recreational pursuits in the 1800s needed little infrastructure. Hence all the open space with few buildings in that era.

As a society we need to stop acting like people who made decisions by people 200 years ago were made with infinite wisdom. The parklands are not going to help defend Adelaide in anyway anymore so should be only be kept with recreation in mind. Potentially reduced to a size that the Adelaide City Council can afford to maintain like it's a botanical garden.

It's crazy how much wasted space we have in these parklands.

What's the deal with the horse stables in the parkland 6?? Who owns these horses and how did they get to have their stables here? Surely this area could be used for a better purpose than this...
They'd have links with a few people in important places no doubt

What's the deal with the horse stables in the parkland 6?? Who owns these horses and how did they get to have their stables here? Surely this area could be used for a better purpose than this...
Yep, let’s not use valuable land because it habitats native shrubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just drop your horses off and pay the small weekly fee if you live in the right suburb I think...

"The horses in Park 6 are not “agisted” - they're depastured meaning they eat either what grows here, or what the owners bring for them. A ''depasturing licence” is restricted to one horse per person. The horses must be at least three years old and at least 10 hands high. The applicant must live within 2 kilometres of the Park."

Screenshot_110.png

But the Parklands aren't just for a select few who live in the right places... I think we can all apply for an Olive Collection Permit so make the most of it... https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/o.../approvals-permits-licenses/olive-collection/

This might have changed my mind on a training facility in the Park Lands... Save the Olives!

Desolate wasteland....minutes from the CBD.

Now imagine our Park Lands filled with
AFC training and admin centre.
A water park
State of the art playing fields for community sporting club use.
A large adventure playground
Skate Park
A couple of amphitheatres
Well maintained Dog Park
Network of maintained working and cycling trails
BBQ and picnic areas.
A nice pond

i dont think i can see a single body in all those pictures lol.
At least not on the surface
523243_60955871afd9a09acebc6b646a086ee8.png

I'm in that photo. I've done a fair bit of walking around there and on the other side of Lefevre Rd to the dog park. The only action that I've seen is stored roadworks equipment on the edge of the oval. And, you wouldn't believe it, an actual game of social cricket being played by a bunch of blokes on my last trip down as well. Otherwise, outside of the people parking along untimed Barton Tce East, nothing happens at all. That's why you won't hear me complaining about the agistment fields. At least that area is being used. Oh, and if I was to get a horse, I'd be allowed to store it there.

Actually, it's the exact opposite to that. Looking at those photos, apart from a couple of isolated uses, there is absolutely no better use of huge areas of parklands going on.

Just drop your horses off and pay the small weekly fee if you live in the right suburb I think...

"The horses in Park 6 are not “agisted” - they're depastured meaning they eat either what grows here, or what the owners bring for them. A ''depasturing licence” is restricted to one horse per person. The horses must be at least three years old and at least 10 hands high. The applicant must live within 2 kilometres of the Park."
Is there any other option? Uber eats?

Last edited:
Back