Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly, (even if not actually true, but sounds good), the city of Adelaide was apparently planned specific with military defensibility in mind. After all it was a military guy that mostly came up with it.

From an artillery officer mate, (Source!! Source!!) substantial motivation behind the layout of Adelaide was a perceived threat from Russian Navy in the early to mid-1800s.

The City mile is located substantially away from the beach, unlike most cities that sprawl out. It was placed just outside Naval gunfire range.

Anzac highway has a characteristic double bend instead of being straight. The bends are about the range of field guns of the day. An invading army would be forced into turning (not ideal when advancing large forces) at positions where defending field guns can land fire from the next corner.

The green belt: Surrounded the city mile with flat open ground - about the width of light guns and rifle fire of the day. This ensured there was clear visibility of an advance, clear fire lanes and no ready cover for an advancing army.

Ipso fatso - if you're for development of the green belt, you are welcoming Russian invasion.

Wrote a paper about 40 years ago on the subject, And Personally, While Light designed Adeliade along military lines he did not design it for Defensive purposes, For one the terrain was incorrect and allowed any invading Army the ability to Cut off all Resupply, And at that time the English Navy was the main sea power, so most would belive that a city built close to the Port was more defensible, Also with that train of thought, any invading Army had multiple escape routes once the British navy arrived in force. a City by the Port offers a better trap,
And were the Fort location, and why build a cemetery along the most likely avenue of attack. there was a lot more info but it was over 5000-word paper.

While he designs the city along military lines the Adeliade Park was meant to be a place for recreation. While the outer area's a place for food growth.

Hawks are self perpetuating now, by getting that awesome deal at Waverly and winning a few premierships, they are now a profit machine and can afford stuff like this. They have been making around $2-3M in profit every year since 2007 (Waverly in 2006).
Aren't hawthorn pokies mafia?

The defence of the colony was in the minds of Adelaide people from the time of the foundation of the colony and it is thought by military men that Adelaide was given parks by Colonel William Light as a defence precaution, the idea being that the colonials living around Adelaide would flee into the city which would be protected by trenches commanding an interrupted view of the parks over which the enemy would have to advance before taking the town.

100 years after the fact, but the green belt thing seems to be a thing.
'It is thought'. No records back up this idea.

'It is thought'. No records back up this idea.
So I'm guessing by your standards most of our nasty history of the time regarding indigenous folks is apocryphal too because you don't have any documents left to point to, even though it is obviously true.

Or do you think Colonel Light just enjoyed brown dusty fields so much he decided to ring his colony with them?

So I'm guessing by your standards most of our nasty history of the time regarding indigenous folks is apocryphal too because you don't have any documents left to point to, even though it is obviously true.

Or do you think Colonel Light just enjoyed brown dusty fields so much he decided to ring his colony with them?
Apocryphal means 'accepted as true despite doubtful authenticity', that's exactly what this is? There is no basis in any of Light's documents or writings to assume he would do this. His actual statement is 'The dark green round the Town I proposed to the Resident Commissioner to be reserved as Park Grounds', based on 'you will make the necessary reserves for squares, public walks, and quays.' as directed by the colonists. So yes, he did want them used as public grounds and there is no reference to suggest they were designed around defence.

I'm disregarding your non-sequitur about well-documented aspects of our history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrote a paper about 40 years ago on the subject, And Personally, While Light designed Adeliade along military lines he did not design it for Defensive purposes, For one the terrain was incorrect and allowed any invading Army the ability to Cut off all Resupply, And at that time the English Navy was the main sea power, so most would belive that a city built close to the Port was more defensible, Also with that train of thought, any invading Army had multiple escape routes once the British navy arrived in force. a City by the Port offers a better trap,
And were the Fort location, and why build a cemetery along the most likely avenue of attack. there was a lot more info but it was over 5000-word paper.

While he designs the city along military lines the Adeliade Park was meant to be a place for recreation. While the outer area's a place for food growth.
What's that saying about facts and good stories?

The Mayor put forward the proposal without any contact with the AFC. It was rejected 7 votes to 6. The Mayor and the main councillor opposing the idea were on 891 yesterday and came across as total loonies. The Mayor said the swimming pool needed repairs and if the Crows agreed to build a new swimming pool they could use the pool providing it was not required by the public. He also said the AFC could use the oval providing it didn’t inconvenience the baseball and lacrosse clubs that currently used it.

The councillor went on about gifting council facilities to rich corporations.

It’s hard to believe but they sounded even crazier than the Adelaide City Council.
This crap about selling parks to corporations really shits me. At no stage has it been proposed that the crows would own any park lands. Just lies being spewed by the nimbys

Firstly I'd be happy for afc to go ahead with the development. There are though some legitimate arguments against it.

Mainly the park lands surrounding the city are essentially preservation areas to maintain a green belt. There is a concern that if private companies start developing them this will be the lost. This is basically the Adelaide conservative ethos. Not entirely unreasonable though.

IMO the most reasonable concern is that it is an unsolicited bid. It's not like the government or council put out a public tender asking for partnership redevelopment where there was, say, twelve months of notice then a competitive bid process.

There is a fair argument that other companies may have made better offers or provided better facilities to benefit the public.

In this case AFC has offered to redevelop the aquatic centre, but the facilities will still be substantially privately use on public land.

There is not a suite of options where govt or council can select the best. Just approve or deny this request.
Your concerns are not correct though as no green space is being lost, the swimming centre is for the public and the oval is only for the crows for 12-16 hrs per week. Less time than the schools use their ovals

Your concerns are not correct though as no green space is being lost, the swimming centre is for the public and the oval is only for the crows for 12-16 hrs per week. Less time than the schools use their ovals
Sigh.

There was a short-lived separate thread where someone asked for a summary of the issues.

The green belt is not my concern, but a concern people have.

The lack of a competitive tender process is about the only thing I think is a legit complaint, but as I said, I support the proposal.

Interestingly, (even if not actually true, but sounds good), the city of Adelaide was apparently planned specific with military defensibility in mind. After all it was a military guy that mostly came up with it.

From an artillery officer mate, (Source!! Source!!) substantial motivation behind the layout of Adelaide was a perceived threat from Russian Navy in the early to mid-1800s.

The City mile is located substantially away from the beach, unlike most cities that sprawl out. It was placed just outside Naval gunfire range.

Anzac highway has a characteristic double bend instead of being straight. The bends are about the range of field guns of the day. An invading army would be forced into turning (not ideal when advancing large forces) at positions where defending field guns can land fire from the next corner.

The green belt: Surrounded the city mile with flat open ground - about the width of light guns and rifle fire of the day. This ensured there was clear visibility of an advance, clear fire lanes and no ready cover for an advancing army.

Ipso fatso - if you're for development of the green belt, you are welcoming Russian invasion.

Haha! Gold. I haven't enjoyed a post this much in a while

Sigh.

There was a short-lived separate thread where someone asked for a summary of the issues.

The green belt is not my concern, but a concern people have.

The lack of a competitive tender process is about the only thing I think is a legit complaint, but as I said, I support the proposal.
Tender Process means non-sporting organisations who are more about the Profit and Less about the community being involved, Also remember the Council approached the Crows about this, and the Crows are a Not for Profit sporting organisation, who will be fully owned by its Members once they pay off the AFL loan.

Tender Process means non-sporting organisations who are more about the Profit and Less about the community being involved, Also remember the Council approached the Crows about this, and the Crows are a Not for Profit sporting organisation, who will be fully owned by its Members once they pay off the AFL loan.

No they didn't. Completely untrue.

No they didn't. Completely untrue.
Did not what. About the ACC approaching the Crows about the Aquatic centre, check your story again, Crows did ask about several locations but they were asked to submit a plan, for the aquatic centre. Was in the Council minutes if you choose to check, or is that against the rule of this debate.

Did not what. About the ACC approaching the Crows about the Aquatic centre, check your story again, Crows did ask about several locations but they were asked to submit a plan, for the aquatic centre. Was in the Council minutes if you choose to check, or is that against the rule of this debate.

I know the facts a little more intensely then is being reported and then those council minutes would actually suggest.

It was 100% initiated by the AFC.

t
I know the facts a little more intensely then is being reported and then those council minutes would actually suggest.

It was 100% initiated by the AFC.
The wrong side of the Council mate, you getting your info is from the moran side, But the Council Minutes are there for all to see.
The Crows were inquiring about several locations, The Council knock them back, Later the council issues with the Swim Centre gain more focus and there was a suggestion about 3rd party involvement, and that's when there was an approach to the Crows to see if they were still interested and about what they could offer.

Back