Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Patriots add some depth to the LB position as they move just before the Trade Deadline and trade in :

Kyle Van Noy and a 7th round pick from the lions for our 6th rounder.

Great addition to the squad. I was a fan of Van Noy three years ago when he was drafted.

I can just imagine Van Noy going home to his partner as telling her " I have some shitty news and some awesome news"

"Shitty news first , i got traded and we are moving ...... Awesome news second ye ha I AM NOW A PATRIOT "

Not being finished A J Darby was also traded to the Donkeys for 5th round pick.
No loss there as Darby was distant depth at best.

I like both moves.

Oh and fellow Patriots

Just how do we fell about being 6 and 1 ..... ooohhhh yyeaaahhhh.

And by the way:
Adolf Goodell you Gang Green planted Muppet in NFL House and you festering :pileofpoop:, 6 and 1 .... how do you like them :redapple:.

Good point

Think I might chuck some money at it
I'll take it one step further and state if Garropolo hadn't sustained an injury to his shoulder, the Patriots would be undefeated. Buffalo are paper warriors. It's little more than the same bravado show Rex put up with the Jets.

I'll take it one step further and state if Garropolo hadn't sustained an injury to his shoulder, the Patriots would be undefeated. Buffalo are paper warriors. It's little more than the same bravado show Rex put up with the Jets.
I think their run game is good and their Defense is decent

Not saying they're in the same league as Pats but don't think they're a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting trade of Collins to Cleveland. First things first. The team has some significant free agents to extend this season, which means, if the Patriots intend on paying their first priorities, then someone is going to miss out. As we saw with the Seymour trade, the Pats get what they can for players and move on. Secondly, Michael Lombardi dropped something of a bombshell offering the comments that Collins has been skylarking on the field and not doing his assignments. If that's proven to be true, despite his immense talent, it's time to move on from Jamie.

Interesting news, nonetheless.

Last edited:
That is absolutely stunning. I cannot believe we traded him for a 3rd round pick. I understand that we should all trust Belichick, but he's not infallible. See, the fact that we have no pass rush (and cut Jonathan Cooper) and Chandler Jones is tearing it up in Arizona.
No, it's not really stunning at all. To say so is to ignore Belichick's history. Also, how effective has the Chandler Jones trade actually been? The Pats are 7-1. The Cardinals are 3-4-1. If the Pats are moving on from Collins, there's a reason for it. If you believe Lombardi, then it's addition by subtraction. Further to the point, seeing what the Bennett addition has meant for this O put the need to extend Hightower and Butler means I'm OK with this. Strange sure, but I trust BB.

I loved Jamie as a player for us but this move is fair enough. Collins has played like ass for most of the year, so it's hard not to agree with Lombardi (although I think his criticism of Hightower is unfounded). Based on his performance this year we're not losing a hell of a lot, sure we lose out on potential but the fact of the matter is we can get the same level of production elsewhere.

Additionally, the D needed a shot in the arm. We've made some very average QBs look good this year. Hopefully now we've released a hot-and-cold tempered player we can get a more switched on defence, more consistently.

As always, Trust in Bill

No, it's not really stunning at all. To say so is to ignore Belichick's history. Also, how effective has the Chandler Jones trade actually been? The Pats are 7-1. The Cardinals are 3-4-1. If the Pats are moving on from Collins, there's a reason for it. If you believe Lombardi, then it's addition by subtraction. Further to the point, seeing what the Bennett addition has meant for this O put the need to extend Hightower and Butler means I'm OK with this. Strange sure, but I trust BB.

That is one way to judge that trade...

Or perhaps we could see that we don't have a pass rush, and it doesn't look like changing any time soon. Chandler Jones has also been playing very well for Arizona. Not sure that the teams' respective records has much do with it.

That is one way to judge that trade...

Or perhaps we could see that we don't have a pass rush, and it doesn't look like changing any time soon. Chandler Jones has also been playing very well for Arizona. Not sure that the teams' respective records has much do with it.
Don't have isn't the same as playing specific schemes to contain opponents. If the rumours are to be believed, Collins wasn't doing his job and being in the right places as per his assignments. When you're scheme dependant, that sort of skylarking leads to blown coverages, as we've seen from the D.

The Patriots will be fine. I have faith Elandon Roberts can be our new Malcolm Butler.

I'll say this, BB must have had a reason to release him for a 3rd. As AB said this shouldn't be a surprise to any of us but I think the real surprise is a 3rd for him. I was as shocked as anyone to hear it but if he was infact guilty of doing what lombardi says he was then I'm not surprised at all. Also scheme wise it's better to do this now.

I'll say this, BB must have had a reason to release him for a 3rd. As AB said this shouldn't be a surprise to any of us but I think the real surprise is a 3rd for him. I was as shocked as anyone to hear it but if he was infact guilty of doing what lombardi says he was then I'm not surprised at all. Also scheme wise it's better to do this now.
People in uproar clearly don't understand the importance of gap assignment to scheme, especially in the front 7. I'm not all that happy this has played out the way it has as Collins has generational talent but if the mental aspect no longer fits, as a coach/GM as accomplished as Belichick, although not infallible, he deserves our trust. He has his reasons, all of which I'm sure he'll forward during each and every press conference for the bye week. :p

It's a curious time for the Patriots but as you mentioned, better now.

Last edited:
Both Chanler Jones and Collins were / are lining up for some serious pay dirt with their next contracts and sometimes the salary cap has its limits and you need to take the long term view.

That said my initial reaction was WTF.

Having deliberated over the decision most of the day a couple of things have resonated with me and I am now ok'ish with the trade.

1. Collins hasn't been the same player this season that he was the last two.
2. Its a hedge against a cap hit at seasons end.
3. Should mean that we get to keep Hightower, Bennett and Butler.
4. If and its a big If Lombardi's comments are on the money then its a wake up call for the entire roster.
5. The actual trade doesn't impact on any free agency compensations at the end of the season.
6. What are The Pats working on in the way of free agency moves at seasons end ?

The Patriot Way is based on the premise just " do your job ".
The " do your job " mantra is underpinned on the often not commented part do your job ... " as instructed ".

So if you don't do as instructed , no matter how good you are , then you risk pissing of BB.

Caution to all and sundry if you skylark and mess with the scheme ...... then we trade you.

What part of " do your job bit ' don't you get....... Capish

Not fussed with this trade as BB has shown time and time again to just trust his every decision. I love Collins but if this means keeping butler and Hightower then so be it

Good luck Collins you were awesome and il never forget that blocked field goal good luck at browns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back