Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The distance is nothing, especially with the highway being good.

We live in Toowong and my partner works further out than Springfield. She gets there in just under 25 minutes. Plenty of nice areas that will be under 30 mins away from Springfield and the drive is a small sacrifice to make for the facilities they'll get access to. Equally, the shops in Springfield are fantastic in comparison to the industrial shithole of Seaford.

Yep, chalk & cheese. Unless you're living bayside i.e. Mordy, Mentone etc, there's no quick & easy way of getting to Seaford.

Seaford.jpg

Or you could just do the ol' Bronwyn Bishop and do everything with a helicopter ;)

9f9.jpg

Palaszczuk dismisses Lions using Showgrounds during Gabba upgrade​

Annastacia Palaszczuk has dug in her heels over a proposal to redevelop the Brisbane Showgrounds so it can host the Lions while the Gabba is being rebuilt for the Olympics.

Stephanie Bennett

2 min read
August 9, 2022 - 5:36AM
65 comments

Annastacia Palaszczuk has cast doubt on plans for the Ekka’s Main Arena to be redeveloped into a boutique stadium to temporarily host Brisbane Lions games while the Gabba is rebuilt for the 2032 Olympics.
The Premier also conceded the $1bn cost of razing and rebuilding the Gabba would likely blow out, citing “worldwide” building material price hikes and shortages.

RNA chief executive Brendan Christou last month confirmed discussions were under way with Stadiums Queensland and the Lions over his proposal for a 20,000-plus seat stadium at the Ekka, with the AFL club saying it supported the idea.
The venue could not only host Brisbane games in the lead-up to the Olympics, but AFLW and cricket after 2032.
But Ms Palaszczuk appeared to dismiss the $80m proposal when asked about it during a visit to the Ekka on Monday.
“Can I say very clearly that as part of our Olympic bid it (the RNA) will be used for the dressage and show jumping – that is what we actually pitched to the International Olympic Committee,” she said.

“In relation to any further proposals, there is currently a brand new field being built out at Springfield, we also have regional AFL grounds and we have Carrara down in the Gold Coast.”
Pressed further, Ms Palaszczuk said “they have had no discussions with me, the Brisbane Lions, about that (the proposal) – in fact, yesterday, they were talking to me about how great the Springfield campus (in Ipswich) is.”

However, Lions infrastructure, strategy and government general manager Jake Anson said: “Lions fans want to see us play in Brisbane.

“Brisbane must continue to stage sports events leading into the Olympic Games.
“Brighton Homes Arena at Springfield Central is nearly complete.
“It can be expanded, but more needs to be understood about its Olympics role to determine the business case.”

As it currently stands, the Springfield stadium has a capacity of up to 10,000 – well short of the Lions 42,000-strong membership.
Mr Anson confirmed there had been “dialogue with the Queensland government and Stadiums Queensland regarding the viability of a number of venues, including the RNA”.

Ms Palaszczuk said the $1bn figure to redevelop the Gabba had been based on “cost estimates at the time”.
“Of course, now we understand that there’s been a lot of increase in shortages and supply and materials – they’re worldwide issues,” she said.

If we play a significant number of "home" games in regional Queensland I wonder if members will have first access to tickets. If so you would want to be quick getting online for tickets, the capacity of regional stadiums is not that much bigger than what Springfield will have.

Palaszczuk dismisses Lions using Showgrounds during Gabba upgrade​

Annastacia Palaszczuk has dug in her heels over a proposal to redevelop the Brisbane Showgrounds so it can host the Lions while the Gabba is being rebuilt for the Olympics.

Stephanie Bennett

2 min read
August 9, 2022 - 5:36AM
65 comments

Annastacia Palaszczuk has cast doubt on plans for the Ekka’s Main Arena to be redeveloped into a boutique stadium to temporarily host Brisbane Lions games while the Gabba is rebuilt for the 2032 Olympics.
The Premier also conceded the $1bn cost of razing and rebuilding the Gabba would likely blow out, citing “worldwide” building material price hikes and shortages.

RNA chief executive Brendan Christou last month confirmed discussions were under way with Stadiums Queensland and the Lions over his proposal for a 20,000-plus seat stadium at the Ekka, with the AFL club saying it supported the idea.
The venue could not only host Brisbane games in the lead-up to the Olympics, but AFLW and cricket after 2032.
But Ms Palaszczuk appeared to dismiss the $80m proposal when asked about it during a visit to the Ekka on Monday.
“Can I say very clearly that as part of our Olympic bid it (the RNA) will be used for the dressage and show jumping – that is what we actually pitched to the International Olympic Committee,” she said.

“In relation to any further proposals, there is currently a brand new field being built out at Springfield, we also have regional AFL grounds and we have Carrara down in the Gold Coast.”
Pressed further, Ms Palaszczuk said “they have had no discussions with me, the Brisbane Lions, about that (the proposal) – in fact, yesterday, they were talking to me about how great the Springfield campus (in Ipswich) is.”

However, Lions infrastructure, strategy and government general manager Jake Anson said: “Lions fans want to see us play in Brisbane.

“Brisbane must continue to stage sports events leading into the Olympic Games.
“Brighton Homes Arena at Springfield Central is nearly complete.
“It can be expanded, but more needs to be understood about its Olympics role to determine the business case.”

As it currently stands, the Springfield stadium has a capacity of up to 10,000 – well short of the Lions 42,000-strong membership.
Mr Anson confirmed there had been “dialogue with the Queensland government and Stadiums Queensland regarding the viability of a number of venues, including the RNA”.

Ms Palaszczuk said the $1bn figure to redevelop the Gabba had been based on “cost estimates at the time”.
“Of course, now we understand that there’s been a lot of increase in shortages and supply and materials – they’re worldwide issues,” she said.
To be honest it sounds like the Premier has not been briefed on the issue and was unprepared for the question. As the Lions GM pointed out the RNA option is one of several being put forward by the club. It is also helpful to know that the RNA itself is supportive and is obviously keen to attract any additional public investment it can.

In my opinion it is the best option for the majority of Lions members but it is also likely to be the most expensive. It would be a great legacy project for the city if the political will can be found.

I regularly look at the ground progress via the time lapse link
For a while now it looked like their was going to be a 3 tiered concrete seating arrangement around the ground
Your photo on the right pretty much confirmed that is happening
I wonder if it will be grass inbetween or some form of synthetic surface
Also looks like steps at intervals to each tier

I imagine behind this 3 tiered seating a grass hill will be included where possible

980x655_093501.jpg

How much would temporary seating around the ground add to capacity? I'm sure they have looked into it but if it increased the capacity to 20k that's probably the best we could hope for at Springfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much would temporary seating around the ground add to capacity? I'm sure they have looked into it but if it increased the capacity to 20k that's probably the best we could hope for at Springfield.
I really have no idea on the costs
You see temperory grandstand going up at all sorts of events like Australian Grand Prix
However they are usually up for a short period of time
We would need them for 3 years so possibly not an option price wise

Maybe all tiers of government should reconsider the Gabba upgrade as finances are tough now due to covid and won't get much better in the short term

Originally the Government proposed a brand new 50K facility in the Albion precinct for ceremonies, athletics and afterwards for ??? AFL/Cricket/Concerts
The IOC repiled with their Feasibility Assessment in Feb 2021 on the Qld government's original proposal.
They had quite a few suggestions for venue changes to reduce costs.
Afterall this was to be the first Olympic Games to use 80% and even up to 90% existing venues along with other local govenment venues in the State

One suggestion that would not have affected the Lions & cricket
The IOC basically said don't build a 50K new stadium
Instead use Carrara for athletics and increased capacity to 40K with temporary grandstands
All ceremonies opening/closing and anything else to be held at the Gabba as the Gabba was not put forward for anything at that stage

Surely a spend of say $500+ million in stages over the next 10 years will bring The Gabba back to something of a good venue for fans and players
That sort of money should be able to bring the capacity up to a propper 46/47 k. No need to get to that proposed 50 K capacity
The IOC are obviously happy with 40K

1660018722920.png

The only place you can add capacity without changing the whole layout in a few thousand seats in the eastern carpark. Get the capacity up to 12K. If you add more than that you will also need to add more amenities - food, drink, toilets. Also, what are transport/parking options for 20K?

Showgrounds would have been awesome for the club and the city. Unfortunately the club may have to revert to the original plan of half the games (big Vic clubs & GC) @ Metricon and the other half @ Springfield.

Also I'm sure Annesthesia would be first in line for a photo op with Zorks, Fagan and the cup🏆 if we win the flag.
She's such an uninspiring premier -cant stand her, probably a different thread lol. I was initially agaianst the Showgrounds but with what I read following my initial thoughts all for it. Would be happy for games up on the Sunny Coast lol

The only place you can add capacity without changing the whole layout in a few thousand seats in the eastern carpark. Get the capacity up to 12K. If you add more than that you will also need to add more amenities - food, drink, toilets. Also, what are transport/parking options for 20K?

Showgrounds would have been awesome for the club and the city. Unfortunately the club may have to revert to the original plan of half the games (big Vic clubs & GC) @ Metricon and the other half @ Springfield.
Yuk!

She's such an uninspiring premier -cant stand her, probably a different thread lol. I was initially agaianst the Showgrounds but with what I read following my initial thoughts all for it. Would be happy for games up on the Sunny Coast lol
FWIW I find politicians of all persuasions uninspiring and the higher up the political food chain they get the more narcissistic they become.

I’m not sure “inspiring” is a benchmark normally applied to premiers.

In any case I’ll take an uninspiring Palaszczuk over destructive soulless neoliberal puppets of property developers like Campbell Newman.

Playing home games at Metricon will devastate the membership. If they can implement seating at Springfield, that would be the lesser of 2 evils in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back