Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting advice from St Kilda supporters about being a successful club is humorous.

I don't know, they would have an immense wealth of knowledge on how not to be a successful club, surely that counts.

While on the saints subject, Just finnished the Nick Riewoldt book. (xmas pressie)
I know the Springfield move & Seaford one have many differences but, interesting to read Nick’s take on the move & how they should never have moved out of Moorabbin. Makes you think imo.

While on the saints subject, Just finnished the Nick Riewoldt book. (xmas pressie)
I know the Springfield move & Seaford one have many differences but, interesting to read Nick’s take on the move & how they should never have moved out of Moorabbin. Makes you think imo.

I just don’t see how the club will ever be financially viable while staying at the Gabba. 2m+ per year and we still have to go to multiple different venues for training + have limited use of the Gabba oval throughout the year.

I just don’t see how the club will ever be financially viable while staying at the Gabba. 2m+ per year and we still have to go to multiple different venues for training + have limited use of the Gabba oval throughout the year.

Yeah it's not like the Saints base is the MCG or Etihad

Not wanting to be negative so early in the year but, i really dont see us ever being “ financially viable” if we are to be competitive with other clubs that are positioned in footy states. I do however see the afl committed to a national comp and having to subsidise us every year for being a non afl state.

Not wanting to be negative so early in the year but, i really dont see us ever being “ financially viable” if we are to be competitive with other clubs that are positioned in footy states. I do however see the afl committed to a national comp and having to subsidise us every year for being a non afl state.

I agree that we face an uphill battle, but that should be the goal and commercial decisions should be made with that in mind. You can’t just give up and sit on your hands, especially when the training facilities at the Gabba are in as bad a way as they are.

I agree that we face an uphill battle, but that should be the goal and commercial decisions should be made with that in mind. You can’t just give up and sit on your hands, especially when the training facilities at the Gabba are in as bad a way as they are.
Dont think our future battle is uphill. Thinks its essential that we are subsidised by the afl. Suherland from the acb has come out & slammed the Gabba facility saying its sub standard & in doubt of losing the first test this year. Maybe (given that) some politician might throw some $ at it thinking he will win some votes and the Gabba could be transformed into something special again. (Maybe) until then, i guess Springfield is worth a try??? Not sure.

Dont think our future battle is uphill. Thinks its essential that we are subsidised by the afl. Suherland from the acb has come out & slammed the Gabba facility saying its sub standard & in doubt of losing the first test this year. Maybe (given that) some politician might throw some $ at it thinking he will win some votes and the Gabba could be transformed into something special again. (Maybe) until then, i guess Springfield is worth a try??? Not sure.

The Gabba will never have the facilities we are able to build at Springfield and will still be unavailable for half the year.

You should be old & wise enough to never say never Jackess.

But not to the extent that wish-thinking cripples any tough, reasoned and pragmatic decisions that need to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought that to have comparable facilities to what we can get at Springfield, the biggest issues with redeveloping the Gabba would be having enough space rather than $$ ready to invest.

But not to the extent that wish-thinking cripples any tough, reasoned and pragmatic decisions that need to be made.
Definately that thought lies in the eye of the beholder TBD. Take yourself back 10 years & tell me there has not been things happen that you would never had thought would. It takes special people to make the impossible happen. There are still those people out there & thats why i say never say never.

The comparison between the two was made in the Jake Anson interview on The Roar Deal, and the the stark differences between the two was laid out in a pretty comprehensive way, enough to leave me feeling that there really isn't any comparison between to two in any real sense beyond the whole, they're no where we train now thing.

TBH I'm not sure how anyone really counts the gabba as our home base in any real sense. We don't train there, we have a gym and lockeroom there and some offices but its barely what I would call a home in any real sense. Not to mention that when the cross river rail gets done we'll probably be likely to spend the best part of 12-24 months homeless and unable to use the gabba at all for either our recovery and gym, nor our administration. That will most likely be the main reason we get the $15 million from the state govt TBH, so they can get us out of there.

If they upgrade the facilities I would imagine that Stadiums QLD would try to fleece us for even more money when the $2m/year is crippling as it is!

I would assume that the Gabba game day fees for the Lions would be in that $2 mil , so does anyone know what that cost is.
Just a thought considering we would still need to pay this along side any costs of an external home base.

I would assume that the Gabba game day fees for the Lions would be in that $2 mil , so does anyone know what that cost is.
Just a thought considering we would still need to pay this along side any costs of an external home base.

From what I understand, that is just the rent. Game day fees are separate and we also take a hit on them if the crowd is less than approx 20k. That is manageable from other income streams, it's largely the rent that is the prohibitive cost.

From what I understand, that is just the rent. Game day fees are separate and we also take a hit on them if the crowd is less than approx 20k. That is manageable from other income streams, it's largely the rent that is the prohibitive cost.
Wow no wonder we are bleeding millions.
This holding pattern is costing us plenty.
I'd imagine we would of relocated our administration / shop 4 years ago to a more affordable location if we had known we'd still be waiting for a definite time completion on the new facilities.

The sooner we are out of there the better. The Gabba trust might realise what they've lost when we do go.......like the Moorabbin council did with the Saints. They knocked back nearly everything Saints wanted to do, including a new social club on the cnr near the ground, which is now a block of units, funny that.

Lo and behold, a few years down the track, Saints get the go ahead to build fantastic facilities at the ground. Probably got different councillors with vision in their time away..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back