Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is some land that wont cost much: New Farm Park.

Thought I found a nice green site on Google Maps today in the Redlands but it just turned out to be a massive algae bloom in Moreton Bay.

Maybe we are going about pushing our case for a training/admin/AFLW base in the Brisbane area with the wrong strategy. We should be highlighting the save the planet angle, 10 hectares total, 5 of which is made up of buildings/fields completely powered by solar power, wind turbines and hydro from Breakfast creek and the other 5 of the 10 hectares is green space ie. rainforest in the heart of the city, endangered species sanctuary, could be an eco tourist attraction drawing people from all over the world and we include a double pass to a game at the Gabba with entry to the CityEco Park, no need for us to go to China, bring the world to us. Muhammad and mountains and all that stuff.

Maybe we are going about pushing our case for a training/admin/AFLW base in the Brisbane area with the wrong strategy. We should be highlighting the save the planet angle, 10 hectares total, 5 of which is made up of buildings/fields completely powered by solar power, wind turbines and hydro from Breakfast creek and the other 5 of the 10 hectares is green space ie. rainforest in the heart of the city, endangered species sanctuary, could be an eco tourist attraction drawing people from all over the world and we include a double pass to a game at the Gabba with entry to the CityEco Park, no need for us to go to China, bring the world to us. Muhammad and mountains and all that stuff.

And we will bill the AFL for the power because they will be the only ones that could afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd move discussion back to here.

I am not on the Springfield train. Never will be and firmly believe (despite what they have told you last night) that in years to come, they will be back to Brisbane where they should be once they realise it was a mistake. Reminds me of exactly what StKilda have just experienced with Seaford. (Sorry for the negativity on this subject)
A lot of pros and cons have been discussed at length in the thread on this forum, but a lot was made clearer, and by a guy who has his finger on the pulse in this area.
The comparisons were made with Hawthorn, Essendon and St Kilda. Hawks are moving to Dingley and the Bombers are out at Broadmeadows. You're from Melbourne, so you know how far they are from either the city, or their traditional homes. Seaford was a fairly cheap facility in comparison, and further than any other clubs moved, to an area that offers little.
I don't get out and about like I used to for work, so it's been a few years since I've ventured out to Springfield, but apparently it is developing nicely. The growth there is phenomenal and is becoming quite the city. The facility will be 5* times bigger and better than the Seaford facility. (*May not be mathematically correct, but not far off).
I didn't like the idea of Springfield either, for a number of reasons. Put it this way, any objection to connections between Sharpless, Springfield Land Corp and Pisasale are forgotten and were not raised by anyone. They simply don't matter anymore.

Forget this being an office block with a gym and a couple of ovals. This thing is soooo much more. For what is now planned, there is literally nowhere in Brisbane that this can be built, certainly for anywhere near the money (which is significant).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move Skoob, maybe a mod could move the Springfield discussion in the fan forum thread to here to avoid double speak or confusion?

Good move Skoob, maybe a mod could move the Springfield discussion in the fan forum thread to here to avoid double speak or confusion?
Did they mention whether it would be built in one stage or in a couple of stages?
And did they show you a master plan, is it similar to the last proposal.

70mil sounds very similar to the original Springfield proposal.
Does it appear to be one in the same?
Did they show plans?
I believe the original plan was around 70mil
But they were going to do it in a couple of stages.
Are they planning one stage or 2 this time around.
Same site, same building (more or less).
A lot more appears to planned this time around (my memory is a bit hazy on the original).
Since the original plans, the rail station has been fully built and the Orion? shopping centre has virtually doubled and will continue to expand, so the surrounds are so much further developed now.
We are talking community centres, child care facilities meeting/ lecture theatres (all to be shared/available to the community and partners). This will also provide a revenue stream and assist in growing the brand. My understanding is that there is an agreement to 80% of the funding (not signed, but agreed). Once signed, construction can start. The final bit of funding is expected to follow immediately, but if not, construction will start anyway, with a few bits and pieces slated for later. So the plan is to build the complete facility, with room to expand based on demand. Seating/stands for example would cater for a smaller crowd, but there will be room to grow that as needed. (No point building a stand to seat 30000 if only 5000 attend.

A major factor of consideration, and why the airport option fell over, has been the success of the AFLW. Women's league and NEAFL games will be hosted there. As we saw with the women's competition this year, the popularity caught everyone off guard. The airport facility was originally going to be small enough with no need for the type of lighting that will now be needed. Lights for training, are not the same as lights needed for broadcasting games. So the advent of the Women's League has really changed the facility that is being planned. Extra rooms, extra/different lights, different seating.

Again, I don't recall any specifics on the original, but architecturally it's pretty exciting too. For the Fitzroy faithful, part of the stand will take inspiration from the Brunswick St stand. Big spaces and accessible areas for display of memorabilia. Apparently there is a fair whack of Fitzroy gear in storage in Melbourne that will find a home on display at the new centre.

Thought I'd move discussion back to here.

A lot of pros and cons have been discussed at length in the thread on this forum, but a lot was made clearer, and by a guy who has his finger on the pulse in this area.
The comparisons were made with Hawthorn, Essendon and St Kilda. Hawks are moving to Dingley and the Bombers are out at Broadmeadows. You're from Melbourne, so you know how far they are from either the city, or their traditional homes. Seaford was a fairly cheap facility in comparison, and further than any other clubs moved, to an area that offers little.
I don't get out and about like I used to for work, so it's been a few years since I've ventured out to Springfield, but apparently it is developing nicely. The growth there is phenomenal and is becoming quite the city. The facility will be 5* times bigger and better than the Seaford facility. (*May not be mathematically correct, but not far off).
I didn't like the idea of Springfield either, for a number of reasons. Put it this way, any objection to connections between Sharpless, Springfield Land Corp and Pisasale are forgotten and were not raised by anyone. They simply don't matter anymore.

Forget this being an office block with a gym and a couple of ovals. This thing is soooo much more. For what is now planned, there is literally nowhere in Brisbane that this can be built, certainly for anywhere near the money (which is significant).

Cheers for the update :thumbsu:

Still on track for mid 2019?

With regards to the Essendon base though; it is housed within the commercial / industrial precinct right next to Melbourne International Airport and only 10 minutes from their spiritual home in Windy Hill, Essendon. A tonne of good coffee digs and restaurants around too.

Same site, same building (more or less).
A lot more appears to planned this time around (my memory is a bit hazy on the original).
Since the original plans, the rail station has been fully built and the Orion? shopping centre has virtually doubled and will continue to expand, so the surrounds are so much further developed now.
We are talking community centres, child care facilities meeting/ lecture theatres (all to be shared/available to the community and partners). This will also provide a revenue stream and assist in growing the brand. My understanding is that there is an agreement to 80% of the funding (not signed, but agreed). Once signed, construction can start. The final bit of funding is expected to follow immediately, but if not, construction will start anyway, with a few bits and pieces slated for later. So the plan is to build the complete facility, with room to expand based on demand. Seating/stands for example would cater for a smaller crowd, but there will be room to grow that as needed. (No point building a stand to seat 30000 if only 5000 attend.

A major factor of consideration, and why the airport option fell over, has been the success of the AFLW. Women's league and NEAFL games will be hosted there. As we saw with the women's competition this year, the popularity caught everyone off guard. The airport facility was originally going to be small enough with no need for the type of lighting that will now be needed. Lights for training, are not the same as lights needed for broadcasting games. So the advent of the Women's League has really changed the facility that is being planned. Extra rooms, extra/different lights, different seating.

Again, I don't recall any specifics on the original, but architecturally it's pretty exciting too. For the Fitzroy faithful, part of the stand will take inspiration from the Brunswick St stand. Big spaces and accessible areas for display of memorabilia. Apparently there is a fair whack of Fitzroy gear in storage in Melbourne that will find a home on display at the new centre.
Well that all sounds very exciting, I wish I was able to make it there last night.
The bit about extra revenue stream sounds great for the club.
The Gym and pool is to be accessible by the public too I presume with extra revenue streams from there as well?
Sounds great for the long term benefit of the club.
Are we still talking about a token lease? And for how long, i think i heard 10 to 12 years?

Also for those that have been to Collingwood's facility it was mentioned as ours being similar in that we want it to be an inviting easily accessible place for the community/supporters to visit, MDA to be a partner, great move.

IIRC Jake mentioned a 99 year lease, and there was even a artists impression displayed of what our base could look like in 2035-40. Massive attention to detail in this project and as other posters have stated in various threads "The adults are now in charge".

Skoob is relaying what was discussed last night in a very precise manner. The Springfield presentation went on for well over an hour so a great memory recall on display by Skoob.

Hey Skoob, I think we may be divulging more than we were supposed to.:);)

Cheers for the update :thumbsu:

Still on track for mid 2019?

With regards to the Essendon base though; it is housed within the commercial / industrial precinct right next to Melbourne International Airport and only 10 minutes from their spiritual home in Windy Hill, Essendon. A tonne of good coffee digs and restaurants around too.
Yeah, I'm not overly familiar with Melbourne, but Jake from AFLQ is, and suggested it's about 15min further out than the previous facility. Bearing in mind, players probably weren't living within 5 minutes of that facility either.
Springfield shopping centre is apparently absolutely huge these days, with all the bells and whistles either there or planned, and is a 4 minute walk from the site.
Must admit my recollections of Springfield are probably a bit old now and unfairly affected my previous opinions.
If everything needed is ticked off, then 2019 is the target. I don't think he mentioned start, mid or end of 2019, jason pm ?
State funding is the key to getting started, and they are big on women's sport and community projects, with an election looming. The iron is as hot as it will ever be for us to strike and a lot of positive talks already had.

Hey Skoob, I think we may be divulging more than we were supposed to.:);)
giphy.gif

Glad you guys got to hear from Jake Anson. Impressive guy isn't he?
Yeah, very.
The cynic in me is wary, as it was a good sell, but he is well credentialed.

To give others an understanding, Jake works for AFL/AFLQ and is seconded part time to the Lions for this project. His day to day responsibility is the upkeep* of QLD footy facilities (local & regional clubs & grounds).
*Upkeep doesn't mean he is a groundskeeper. We're talking major development/redevelopment & renovation. He has a qualified background in town planning, (one of about 6 AFL major project planners with such experience/qualification). So he is all over this stuff, from every angle. We're not talking about a real estate broker, or a builder from outside the organisation. He is AFL stadia and knows all the ins & outs of facilities across the country, the pros, cons and what players at other clubs think of their own, what works and doesn't and the money involved, both out going and coming back in.
This isn't some Brisbane board member who has rung around the various councils and commissioned an artists impression. He's fair dinkum and knows his s**t.
At least that's what his business card says.:p

IIRC Jake mentioned a 99 year lease, and there was even a artists impression displayed of what our base could look like in 2035-40. Massive attention to detail in this project and as other posters have stated in various threads "The adults are now in charge".

There better be a monorail...

Glad you guys got to hear from Jake Anson. Impressive guy isn't he?
Yes, I reiterate what Skoob said above re Jake.

I'm sure he just said 2019 Skoob as being ready, no mention of a specific date eg. pre season, round 1 etc.

Also only the State government funding has to be signed off on (extremely close) and the feds will match $ for $.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back