Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

And somewhere in all of this is a football team trying to play a game on a paddock chasing around a piece of dead cow.

That's the hilarious bit. It's somehow gone from a bunch of meatheads chasing a sythentic ball to a full-blown economic conspiracy.

Yay for humanity!

Forgive me if this has been answered before but why don't we just upgrade the current facilities and training base?
Why the absolute need to move?

Forgive me if this has been answered before but why don't we just upgrade the current facilities and training base?
Why the absolute need to move?

Because money.

First and foremost the Gabba rental fees are sending us to the wall financially.

And even if we were given free rein to upgrade facilities in any way we like at a stadium we don't own, the practical limitations of the dungeons underneath the Gabba would make it difficult and very costly.

Last edited:
The Lethal Lions aren't some emerging advocacy group competitor to TLR that we need to pick sides on. They are a long standing coterie type group of reasonably rich/powerful Lions supporters that have tipped in a fair bit of moola over the years. Powerbrokers essentially.

Personally I think it's great they are involved. I just can't understand why Yerronga hasn't been considered further.

Corruption is afoot and I don't bloody like it.
Pisasale and Springfield Land Corp are shitting themselves that they might miss out on the millions of $$$ of investment to their region and their mates' pockets. I imagine their journo stooges will be pumping up their tyres to reassure and garner further local support for the Prince of Springfield, Bob Sharpless.
The Ipswich royalty, it seems have slipped down to the big smoke on a promise to bring back riches for the growth corridor and the mission must be successful. This is an aggressive take over bid for our club. Sounds dramatic and over the top? Wait and see how fiercely and underhandedly SLC & Pisasale fight for this. We already have seen Angus fight tooth and nail to retain control, and whilst he may be gone from the board, his interests and ghost remains.
In battle, Angus is what you call collateral damage. He fell on his sword at the 11th hour, but only in the knowledge that is comrade in arms would take up the fight on his behalf. Now, according to local reports and statements from the Prince himself, it will be the board who will work through the process of finding a new CEO. Bob will scream 'til he is blue in the face that the club can make its own arrangements and the battle will be on to install his own choice for CEO, and that CEO will no doubt be a big supporter of the Springfield move.
As I said a week or so ago, I was not opposed to a move to Springfield for a training and admin base, but Bob showed his true colours (oddly) with his "I have a dream" statement. We will see more and more, Pisasale come out from his rock shell in support for his great mate Bob and the riches he was sent down to Brisbane to collect. We can only hope that the AFL are strong on this and see that lining the pockets of a few will not be invisible and that the bigger picture of the club's survival is more important. God help us if Gill is in on the laugh and is here to help Bob. If Malcolm somehow was a thorn in the Springfield side that Gill helped to remove and is on board with the plan to move us west, then we are screwed. The whole situation is now so disgustingly smelly, that we must fight against even having a kids' clinic in Springfield, not even so much as a merchandise stand. I don't even want the players to visit a sick relative in Ipswich region, any link whatsoever is poisonous. These bastards are very powerful, very well connected and oily as all ****. We need to resist any suggestion of anything to do with the place lest it be the thin edge of the wedge.
Wait and see what happens with the hunt for a CEO. If they so much as have had lunch once with anyone from Ipswich or Springfield Land Corp or the Labor right for that matter, then we have had the wool pulled over our eyes regarding AFL involvement coming to save us.

End of OTT conspiracy rant.

You having come right out with it and introduced the word "corruption" I feel free to say your rant is unmitigated crap, and trust the mods will allow me the same latitude they have allowed you. I hope you are aware that posting on any website anonymously is, from my limited understanding, no protection from legal action.

A couple of facts, inconvenient thought they might be to nutjob conspiracy theorists: one, Springfield will and is going ahead regardless of whatever fate befalls our Club. Evidence of this can be seen if you care to leave your laptop for a bit and visit- use the Centenary Highway, following the rail-line, the first passenger line built in Queensland since 1912 [maybe the State Government is in on Sharpless' scam?], progress via the Orion shopping centre which will soon be the largest shopping facility in the Southern hemisphere, then on to the UniQ site, toward Ipswich and past the extensive infrastructure already completed to accommodate the over 200000 residents expected to live at Springfield over the next 20 years.

None of this is in any way dependent on whether the Lions relocate there.

Having said all that, I am one of those who would much prefer for selfish reasons that we find a place somewhere in the Brisbane Council area. My guess is that if this was possible, it would have been done.

Maybe any argument about where we might go can be confined to the various potential options.

Then again, as anyone reading your rubbish can easily see, a little bit of BS goes a long way.

Our Club appears to once again be descending into chaos. Crap like the above does nothing to assist. It's not argument, it's just BS.

I have no idea who the Lethal Lions is or are, whether they are formally constituted, who voted for them or whatever- I do know that noone has ever asked me, as a dual season ticket holder since 1997, what my preferences are [although I did once take the opportunity to let Malcolm Holmes know- he wasn't really interested]

Personally I think it's great they are involved. I just can't understand why Yerronga hasn't been considered further.

Could very likely be economically impossible considering it is a high socio-economic area. If the board are ever (got forbid) transparent about their selection process we may know once and for all.

I have no idea who the LionsRoar is or are, whether they are formally constituted, who voted for them or whatever- I do know that noone has ever asked me, as a dual season ticket holder since 1997, what my preferences are [although I did once take the opportunity to let Malcolm Holmes know- he wasn't really interested]

That's not exactly true Tassie.

EDIT: Never mind, you've since edited it to Lethal Lions. All good.

Although I am not sure I buy your logic that someone uttering the word "corruption" earns you immunity from providing any semblance of civility in your response. Pretty sure you could have expressed your counterpoint without throwing the following insults at skoob

- "unmitigated crap"
- "nutjob"
- "never leaves his laptop for a second"
- "anyone reading your rubbish can see"
- "BS"
- "crap"

There are probably some really valid and informative points amongst what you've said but I suspect a lot of it will be sadly lost on people because a quick skim just makes it look like a pretty emotive attack. Many of us (especially me) can be pretty snarky at times but that is basically just vitriol from beginning to end.

Last edited:
:(

Just another thing for fans to fight over - between guernseys and the state divide didn't we have enough bitterness between us already?!

Yeah, the Paddlepop divide between fans was tragic.

I hope the 23,999 members and the 1 other member can one day resolve their differences come together again as brothers and sisters.

;)

That's not exactly true Tassie.

EDIT: Never mind, you've since edited it to Lethal Lions. All good.

Although I am not sure I buy your logic that someone uttering the word "corruption" earns you immunity from providing any semblance of civility in your response. Pretty sure you could have expressed your counterpoint without throwing the following insults at skoob

- "unmitigated crap"
- "nutjob"
- "never leaves his laptop for a second"
- "anyone reading your rubbish can see"
- "BS"
- "crap"

There are probably some really valid and informative points amongst what you've said but I suspect a lot of it will be sadly lost on people because a quick skim just makes it look like a pretty emotive attack. Many of us (especially me) can be pretty snarky at times but that is basically just vitriol from beginning to end.

My response is vitriolic, conceded. Based on the original post, which attributes our Board decision-making to corruption. Pretty in-your-face accusation, in my opinion. And based on what? Someone's opinion? First question in court- evidence?

Incompetence, poor communication, conflict of interest, etc etc I can readily see. Even not very nice people. Or self-interested. Or hopeless public speaker. But "corruption"? Where I come from [no, retract that, in Tassie MP's don't get prosecuted, they get promoted to Ministerial office] corruption is a criminal offence- people can go to jail. I really think anyone should be very careful about throwing words like this around.

I personally would like to see, in the interests of open communication, what the various options for relocation were or are in the melting pot. I suspect they have already been canvassed here and elsewhere.

And I fail to see how anyone could ever accuse you of being snarky.

My response is vitriolic, conceded. Based on the original post, which attributes our Board decision-making to corruption. Pretty in-your-face accusation, in my opinion. And based on what? Someone's opinion? First question in court- evidence?

Incompetence, poor communication, conflict of interest, etc etc I can readily see. Even not very nice people. Or self-interested. Or hopeless public speaker. But "corruption"? Where I come from [no, retract that, in Tassie MP's don't get prosecuted, they get promoted to Ministerial office] corruption is a criminal offence- people can go to jail. I really think anyone should be very careful about throwing words like this around.

I'm no fancy big city lawyer but I think the responsibility for the legality of someone's posts should lie with the poster themselves, and (depending on the law) the moderators/site admins as well.

If the intent of your post was merely considerate concern for skoob's legal welfare, it was somewhat contradicted by the stream of invective that followed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MORE SNARK!

THREAD DERAILMENT!
You call that a thread derailment?

yclbj28.gif

Last edited:
Edit:........stuffed up bigtime with this post...it was in response to TBD from an earlier post.....AGAIN I should've put in the post I was replying too.:oops:

Ok, didn't know that, but if they are rich types, then they won't be listening to me.....the club needs to listen to both for an across the board communication..

Last edited:
You having come right out with it and introduced the word "corruption" I feel free to say your rant is unmitigated crap,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption

In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moralimpurity or deviation from an ideal.
Systemic corruption (or endemic corruption)[5] is corruption which is primarily due to the weaknesses of an organization or process. It can be contrasted with individual officials or agents who act corruptly within the system.

Factors which encourage systemic corruption include conflicting incentives, discretionary powers; monopolistic powers; lack oftransparency;
Boy, and you reckon I had a rant. (Which I conceded in my OP).
Quite a long winded denigrating response there Tassie, with a wonderful picture painted of the extensive growth and development of Springfield and its infrastructure, however I can't see that you have addressed any of the concerns I've voiced whatsoever. In fact your response has argued nothing.
You have acknowledged that
Our Club appears to once again be descending into chaos.
and
I do know that noone has ever asked me, as a dual season ticket holder since 1997, what my preferences are
If you are not angry, concerned or curious as to why, or are willing to hazard a guess, that's up to you.

When leaders, directors, people in power are taking liberties not in the best interest of the club (or equally of its members), something is amiss. When the spin keeps coming, contrary to widespread reports, I cannot believe that we are being treated honestly. When a chairman with business links to a multi-million dollar projects is replaced with another with even stronger links without a democratic process demanded by members and we are told that project is our only option, forgive my lack of blind faith.
I'm not sure what you found so offensive, because you haven't actually disputed anything I said, but that's okay, I have no interest in your opinion after your first response.
Based on the original post, which attributes our Board decision-making to corruption.
Have another read. I haven't attributed our board's decision making to anything. Sharpless and Power have abstained from voting/directing on Springfield matters. In fact I have made no direct accusation of any individual being corrupt, whatever else I may have alluded to.
Anyway, I gone on long enough.
Next time you attack someone, demanding fact rather than opinion, remember this is a forum for people to share opinions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back