New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah looked like a 16 by 16 or something. Some little Adelaide boxing ring.

I remember Austin Aries came down here before complaining about the ring too.

AA loves complaining about rings though to be honest.

That crowd looks pretty awful :(

It's got me reconsidering going tonight, cos based on the Adelaide crowd I don't think they'll be rushing back.

I mean, you'd expect there to be less of a crowd in Adelaide and Perth than you would in Melbourne and Sydney.

Plus I think Dave Meltzer said the Melbourne/Sydney shows were close to sellouts and ticket sales were higher than what the company thought they'd get. You can't build a market if you never go there.

People need to remember the Fringe started last night.

Knees of Fury had a show on and Primal Scream sold out their show at HQ.

It's that rare busy time in Adelaide.

7:30pm new start time in Melbourne.

Not long now. Hope it's good. If it's stacked with Strayan freelancers I won't be happy. I didn't pay decent money for an indy show with NJPW branding. But looking at the photos of the ring they had in Adelaide makes me think that's what I'll get. Will try to take some photos myself.

It was an adult crowd. That was nice. Average age would've been in the 20s.

Shitload of empty seats ringside. After the first match people moved to get away from the p̶a̶l̶m̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶e̶s̶ support stucture.

Too much comedy. Didn't need that in the third hour.

The ring was not a NJPW ring and didn't look anything like a NJPW ring. It was some locally sourced thing that moved every time people hit the cables. And it was a ******* tiny ring!

One referee wore a blue shirt. Maybe pack some s**t next time. Ring announcer was Australian too and announced the referee's 20 counts for some reason.

A stupid bright light was hanging a metre above a ring post. That was distracting. The lighting was weird (crap) in general.

Festival Hall really is a piece of s**t. Never been before but you can tell the owners want to flog it off. If the wire barrier fence was blocking my view I would've been pissed. And they wouldn't let me bring my bottle of water in! AND WOODEN BENCHES!! Never again.

Cody and Young Bucks was the best match.

Slex local was pretty good. Rest were just bodies to be defeated.

People chanting "HOLY s**t!" and "THIS IS AWESOME!" before the main event started were lame. The main event also had too much comedy. Could really tell Okada and Omega were taking it light and letting the lesser names do the heavy lifting. Poster above who thought it was a 7 star match was probably drunk and ringside.

Pretty obvious too NJPW outsourced all the work to MCW or somebody and Destroy All Lines whoever they are and just took a cut of the revenue.

I'll go again when they do TV here. Which will be never.

Melbourne results:
1. Lance Archer d Elliott Sexton with Blackout after a big boot low blow (Sexton was sitting on top rope)
2. Yuji Nagata d Chase Owens with back suplex
3. Evil & Sanada d Gino Gambino & Bad Luck Fale with roll up on Mr Juicy by Sanada after a low blow
4. Young Bucks & Cody d Juice Robinson, Kushida & Henare with Meltzer Driver
5. Slater & Pitt d Moretti & Eagles with double team neckbreaker
6. Jay White d Slex with Bladerunner
7. Minoru Suzuki d Jonah Rock with Gotch piledriver
8. Kenny Omega, Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa d Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Rocky Romero with One winged angel by Omega on Romero after hitting a Cross rhodes.

Positives:

Hot crowd (I would have thought 80% capacity), great workrate, great atmosphere (I thought Festival Hall was perfect for the event), wrestlers manning their own gimmick table after the show was a nice touch

Negatives:

Really hard to differentiate wrestlers - so many of them did the same style match, with the same generic nu-metal entrance music. Crowd chanting "This is awesome" BEFORE the main event was just dumb and a lot of the matches had no psychology at all. Oh and I couldn't understand anything over the PA.

Best match for mine was Minoru Suzuki vs Johah Rock. Suzuki got the crowd back up after they were starting to flag, worked the stiffest and most believable match of the night, paced the match beautifully, carried his less experienced opponent and made him look good and got the finish over to the point where he got a standing ovation at the conclusion.

Would I go again? Definitely especially if they bring out some of the veterans who can construct an actual wrestling match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t mind the comedy at the event. It’s actually a refreshing change from WWE given their product is so sanitised nowadays.

In WWE, the announcer doesn’t pause for the crowd “one fall” chant anymore because Vince doesn’t want the crowd to have fun.

Crowd was good but it did fall quiet on occasions and I think the comedy spots helped generate more noise. The pre main event chants I think was more an appreciation point of view. I certainly didn’t think i’ll ever see Okada v Omega in the ring together all alone in Melbourne.

A thoroughly entertaining night. Hopefully their is a 2nd tour next year and they bring Naito and Tanahashi.

That was one incredible night. First few matches warmed the night up leading to some very high quality matches.

NJPW have been great for a while but in the past 12 or so months they've happened upon a new era of wrestling in which they are the pioneers.

Thoroughly enjoyed that evening.

Really impressed by the Aussie guys, particularly Robbie Eagles and Nick Moretti who had a great match against Evil and SANADA.

Might check out the show next Sunday, Ospreay in Sydney again at PWA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back