Opinion NEW LOOK MIDFIELD 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Starting midfield id like to see first up (ive tried to balance out the top 6 mids)

1) Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Vlastuin
2) Nankervis, Martin, Caddy, Miles

Heaps of options just there, these 6 will ultimately take up the majority of the midfield duties BUT who else will "roll through there", Grigg?, Edwards? Rioli?, Lambert?, Corey Ellis?, Conca?, Lloyd? and Graham? (eventually).

We've basically added 3 quality mids (prestia, caddy & Vlastuin) plus nankervis can find the ball too much more than hampson...

Starting midfield id like to see first up (ive tried to balance out the top 6 mids)

1) Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Vlastuin
2) Nankervis, Martin, Caddy, Miles

Heaps of options just there, these 6 will ultimately take up the majority of the midfield duties BUT who else will "roll through there", Grigg?, Edwards? Rioli?, Lambert?, Corey Ellis?, Conca?, Lloyd? and Graham? (eventually).

We've basically added 3 quality mids (prestia, caddy & Vlastuin) plus nankervis can find the ball too much more than hampson...
Looks immeasurably better that's for sure.

Miles and his role in the midfield now has been talked about over different threads and this is probably a good place to bring it all together. Great little player no doubt and has been a real success story for us, but I think it now becomes a valid question as to whether team balance allows us to play a guy as our 6th^ inside mid rotation who is completely one dimensional and has a poor defensive game. I think he will need to play extremely well early on and show us some new tricks or the club will be looking at the versatility of guys like C.Ellis and Conca pretty closely.

Very astute!!

I personally reckon that Nankers will be behind the Velvet Hammer. I hope he comes really good. But I expect him to be no. 2. Unless Ivvy comes back good, then he is no. 3.

But that is a great set of midfield rotations. And if Conca can stay fit then he is also in there, possibly replacing Miles. What a change from 2 inside mids!!

You can play all of them plus rotating Grigg, McIntosh, Lloyd, Rioli, Edwards, Lennon and even Houli through the middle at stages because almost all of them are duel role players now. Players such as Caddy and Martin are crucial to our depth, flexibility and unpredictability because they are equally damaging around stoppages as they are forward. Prestia and Cotchin can also play forward but with less of an impact, I'd imagine, due to their size.

The difference I've noted this preseason is the willingness of the coaches to push players such as Lloyd, Lennon, Rioli up around the contest. I think this is where we will make the biggest difference this year - depth of talent. Suddenly we have it all across the ground. We don't have to play average 'role' players because they are the only player who can fit that position. Now we have talented players that can play in multiple positions/roles without the same deficiencies the 'role' players had.

Geelong proved last year what a single 'star' midfielder can make to a side. We have three quality midfielders effectively moving into the team (I'm counting Vlaustin here) so surely that will make at least as big of an impact.

Nankervis, Hampson, maric - whichever has the best form & can change throughout the year.
Two of Caddy, Prestia, Vlastuin, Miles, then one of Rioli, Edwards, LLoyd at any time. All rotating. Add Grigg, Conca, Graham, etc as form warrants.
If they can get the job done, then I've got Cotchin & Martin sitting on wings, flanks, pockets, adding their class to whichever area needs it most.

And they can be moved into the centre whenever we need to lift a gear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nankervis will take over very very soon and sooner hampson is gone the better
Wouldn't you rather Hammer continues his improvement from last year and either we have a fight for first ruck spot or a pretty good back up, can't understand why Richmond supporters would want to get rid of someone before we have a better replacement?

You can play all of them plus rotating Grigg, McIntosh, Lloyd, Rioli, Edwards, Lennon and even Houli through the middle at stages because almost all of them are duel role players now. Players such as Caddy and Martin are crucial to our depth, flexibility and unpredictability because they are equally damaging around stoppages as they are forward. Prestia and Cotchin can also play forward but with less of an impact, I'd imagine, due to their size.

The difference I've noted this preseason is the willingness of the coaches to push players such as Lloyd, Lennon, Rioli up around the contest. I think this is where we will make the biggest difference this year - depth of talent. Suddenly we have it all across the ground. We don't have to play average 'role' players because they are the only player who can fit that position. Now we have talented players that can play in multiple positions/roles without the same deficiencies the 'role' players had.

Geelong proved last year what a single 'star' midfielder can make to a side. We have three quality midfielders effectively moving into the team (I'm counting Vlaustin here) so surely that will make at least as big of an impact.

Sorry I know I'm nitpicking here like a dick but I count 4 new mids; prestia caddy vlaustin nankervis cos his 2nd efforts look very good, like Ivan 5 years ago :) Again sorry, but I'm just excited

*waves hands in the air like a loon*

Caddy looked very good. Astbury was probably our best player and Butler looked very promising
Agree , but Astbury played down back.
Caddy was the standout midfielder. Gave us so many options with other player rotations.his inside work was immense and when he went forward he was hard to match up.
Miles gave the other boys a chop out and Prestia was running on four cylinders and just getting tuned up.
Cotchin ok, but still a bit like Brando in a DH mode.
Dusty did his usual magic , but looked like he wanted to be mucking around on the sidelines with Rance as I don't think he takes preseason games seriously. Just a natural
Nakkers reminded me of what the basic make up of a ruckman should consist of. Tough and running to support forwards and backs especially as both of ours lack height . Took marks and did some aggressive work. Dyer was smiling down on him last night.

Caddy, Caddy, Caddy!!! What a get! What I really love about his game is the way he opens up space for our other midfielders. It takes more than one player to tackle him so the second midfielder has to leave his direct opponent to tackle, leaving their opponent free. Caddy is so strong that he still can get his hands free to feed the ball out to his open team mate. This sort of player is invaluable in today's contested and congested game.

He then pushes forward and they need to put a tall defender on his again leaving our other forwards with weaker opponents. He is so strong in the air and on the ground. He will make our forwardline infinitely more dangerous too.

Vlaustin was quiet early but showed plenty when he went forward. He attacks the contest at the very least causing the ball to spill down to our smaller forwards. Is a beautiful kick too. Having him resting forward with Martin or Caddy is going to cause the opposition a lot of heartache.

Cotchin played a good game. Still class and so clean with ball in hand. Will be interesting the percentage of time he spends in the middle, wing or forward this year.

Prestia only spent 60% of the game on the ground yet still was our equal highest possession winner. He is a bit like Miles in that he wins a lot of ball inside so he doesn't stand out as much as others. He looked like he was just easing himself back into the game. I did watch him shirk one contest in our goal square but I'll put that down to lack of fitness/game day practise. I think he will make a huge difference to our contested numbers this year.

Miles is now a good backup midfielder who will allow Caddy, Prestia and Cotchin more time to push forward and rest in a game. He is still a solid, not frills player.

Martin was very quiet from what I saw at the game. Came into the game more late but wasn't the dominating force we have come to expect. I'm not sure if this was because he was just easing himself in or getting used to his new role/s?

All in all I was really excited by the ease which we won the majority of possession when the ball was in contest. I understand that Sloine and Thompson were absent from the team but our midfield looked dominate even when our best midfielders were resting or forward. The ease they flicked it around by hand and ran into space was very promising. I think that when our forward line settles and learns to play better collectively we will kick big scores.

Up forward - Griff worries me, Lennon & Lloyd were quiet but Caddy, Martin, Rioli, Jack and Castanga all looked very damaging - even Nank looked lively! Once our midfielders learn who and how to target our forwards, our insider 50 dominance will reflect on the score board even more.

Its only one practise game but there is a huge amount to look forward to from our midfielder this year!

I think it was start of 2nd quarter last night..
Nank/Cotch/Dusty/Meatball

R1 this is the start I'd like to see.

Dusty 1st rotate - Caddy

Prestia then to Vlas

Cotch to Miles by which time Dusty comes back.

Edwards/CEllis rotate through at times.

Prestia . Martin . Cotchin . Edwards . Vladtuin
We're all running at about 60% intensity

Caddy was giving it a real crack
Miles did well and was reliable
C.Ellis was just barely competitive and won't hold a place based on that performance

C.Ellis was just barely competitive and won't hold a place based on that performance
Don't think you watched carefully Enough, he did multiple good things

I agree, but so many saw it differently to me, so not sure what I missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back