Other New Patriots Scandal - DeflateGate

Remove this Banner Ad

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Tom Brady was his own "greatest ally" in Tuesday's appeal hearing and gave an "A+ performance."

Per Schefter, Brady "offered explanations in all areas." Brady was present for the entirety of the marathon 10-11 hour session, and appears to have spent a good deal of time on the hot seat. It's unknown when commissioner Roger Goodell will reach a decision. It's extremely unlikely to come before the end of June.

Source: ESPN.com

b72kjpriiae3olc.jpg

Unless Brady offered new evidence, I don't know how the league can overturn the decision. That would mean they admit to making a mistake, and that won't happen.
The league predetermined the Patriots' guilt long before it was investigated. Backyard scientists have been able to discredit the league's position with minimal effort. Imagine what a team of high priced lawyers will achieve.

The problem for the league is they'll lose in court and they'll lose handily.

League’s reaction to Tom Brady testimony not as glowing
Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptqwymy1m2e1ztdkothjntixnzjmzgq3otjjnjy4m2jh.jpeg
AP
Those paid to exonerate Patriots quarterbackTom Brady were wowed by his performance at Tuesday’s appeal hearing, #asexpected. Those who suspended him in the first place weren’t. #Asexpected.

Per a league source, Brady simply reiterated his denial regarding any involvement in or knowledge of whatever it was that John Jastremski and Jim McNally may have been doing with the team’s footballs. When pressed on certain facts relating to Brady’s potential knowledge or involvement, the answers were regarded by some in the room (i.e., some who aren’t paid to exonerate Brady) as not entirely credible.

Apparently, Brady’s case hinged heavily on attacking the science, under the broader umbrella of taking the position that: (1) he didn’t do anything wrong; and (2) Ted Wells can’t prove that Brady did. The question then becomes whether the NFL is willing to throw out the entire Wells report based on the flaws in the science (and the science is definitely flawed), or whether the NFL continues to be troubled by the Jastremski-McNally exchanges and Brady’s answers to questions about his interactions with either or both of them.

Most importantly, it’s unlikely that the Commissioner will fully exonerate Brady because the Commissioner nearly lost his job last year by not going far enough in disciplining a player. When the Commissioner goes too far, eventually having his decisions overturned by some independent party, he suffers little or no P.R. fallout.

That dynamic alone should tell us all which way the wind is howling on this one. And it provides further proof for the notion that last year’s Ray Rice debacle has left the Commissioner hopelessly conflicted in every single one of these cases.

With one path jeopardizing his job and the other path not triggering even a peep of substantial criticism, the smart play for Goodell will always be to uphold a suspension and let the player and his union fight for further reduction or outright elimination of it in court. And that’s the kind of inherent conflict that arguably makes Goodell unfit to be the final decision-maker in any of these cases.

Direct opposite of Schefter. Hey is this Mort's source? or should I say sauce?

This is already yawn burger anyway as we have the commish stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to himself. Douche.

Direct opposite of Schefter. Hey is this Mort's source? or should I say sauce?

This is already yawn burger anyway as we have the commish stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to himself. Douche.
I don't read too much into either side. Brady's side would have leaked glowing reviews of his testimony where the New York Jets Football League countered with their own propaganda. Really, we're just waiting out for the court dates.

Really, we're just waiting out for the court dates.

I think you have summed it up well ausbacker, I too think its headed to the court room.

How long until it goes before a court? Brady could get suspended for in the latter part of the season…
From my understanding, it shouldn't matter when it goes to court and it's unlikely Brady will be suspended later in the season. The NFLPA lawyers will slap an injunction on the league and if he serves time, it'll probably be next season.

Commissioner Roger Goodell told CNBC on Thursday that his ruling on Tom Brady's appeal of his four-game suspension is "coming very soon."

Goodell suggested the decision could be handed down by as soon as next week. Previous reports indicated Goodell might not rule on Brady's appeal until mid or late July. It's now July 9, so next week would qualify as the middle of the month. From media reports, we haven't been able to glean a direction on where Goodell is leaning, but would dart-throw guess that Brady's four-week suspension gets reduced by at least one game.

Source: CNBC on Twitter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GG I think it's going to court regardless of what is offered by way of a reduction. No full exoneration granted then I reckon it's a certainty to be headed to court .

GG I think it's going to court regardless of what is offered by way of a reduction. No full exoneration granted then I reckon it's a certainty to be headed to court .
More than likely. But that process can take months. So what happens in the interim? Does Brady serve four games suspension while the matter is in court?

It's going to be intersting ,GG , to see how Goddell and the NFL handle this as it's going to be uncharted waters.

I don't recall any player previously having the financial resources to fund a protracted and costly legal stouch, some owners, yes they could. As well paid as the best players are. few would have ever had the combined financial clout that Brady and Bunchin have at their disposal. We already know that Brady is a determined and at times pig headed character, so the NFL need to factor that into their response.

I tend to agree with Blacky and his comment above.

Either way this is far from over and litigation is a real possibility. Once the American Legal System gets involved then the money spent will tally up at an alarming rate and predictability of the final outcome is anyone's guess.

The Boston Globe expects Tom Brady to take an "all-or-nothing" approach to the appeal of his four-game suspension, taking the NFL to court if Roger Goodell does not eliminate the ban entirely.

In other words, Brady won't be satisfied with a one- or two-game reduction of his four-game ban. He wants the entire thing expunged, and is willing to go to court to ensure it happens. Turning 38 in two weeks, Brady is believed to be very concerned with his legacy, and views the suspension for ball deflation as a black mark on his resume. Brady met with Goodell 23 days ago to appeal his ban. Goodell has recently needed 5-6 weeks to hand down appeal rulings. The courts do have a history of overturning NFL discipline like Adrian Peterson this past February and Jonathan Vilma following the Bountygate scandal.

Source: Boston Globe

The Boston Globe expects Tom Brady to take an "all-or-nothing" approach to the appeal of his four-game suspension, taking the NFL to court if Roger Goodell does not eliminate the ban entirely.

In other words, Brady won't be satisfied with a one- or two-game reduction of his four-game ban. He wants the entire thing expunged, and is willing to go to court to ensure it happens. Turning 38 in two weeks, Brady is believed to be very concerned with his legacy, and views the suspension for ball deflation as a black mark on his resume. Brady met with Goodell 23 days ago to appeal his ban. Goodell has recently needed 5-6 weeks to hand down appeal rulings. The courts do have a history of overturning NFL discipline like Adrian Peterson this past February and Jonathan Vilma following the Bountygate scandal.

Source: Boston Globe

Its going to Court GG unless the Ginger Germ backs down completely , which he wont, he may offer a reduction but it appears Brady's not going to wear that.

Per NFL Media's Albert Breer.

"Brady's Lawyers convened on Monday to discuss their plan... take any Suspension to the Federal Court."

The NFL knew that when they handed out the penalties. They knew it when they decided Goodall would hear the "appeal".

It's all a sideshow to give the perception of punishment.

It's also a convenient distraction to take focus away from the person who should be the one facing punishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back