Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

A headline that you won't see.

Today 23 million Australians were not held hostage by a crazy guy and went about their normal business.

I'm sure by the morning Lester will have thought of a way to blame Tony Abbott for the Sydney siege.

True pasteurisation gives you a guarantee a hygienically run dairy cannot offer.
But if the dairy's run properly you won't contaminate the moo-juice with poop.
I don't think you can ever 100% guarantee that.

Bomb squad called to DFAT in Canberra

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25788449/bomb-squad-called-to-dfat-in-canberra/

The report reads like it's currently happening situation.

Police have cordoned off the area and are evacuating staff.

Nearby roads have also been closed.

Dozens of staff are scattered in nearby car parks as their offices are placed in lockdown.​

You have to read the whole article before you get to the last line

Police later determined the package was not suspicious.​

Pauline Hanson quotes from tonight's news.

Explaining the fact she's running for the seat of Lockyer despite not living in the electorate:
My connection with the seat of Lockyer goes back to my great grandparents who lived virtually nearly in this area

....and I do not believe the Government should be allowing mining companies to go on to anybody's properties and allow them to extract gas from them

Pauline Hanson quotes from tonight's news.

Explaining the fact she's running for the seat of Lockyer despite not living in the electorate:
I have so missed Paulines wisdom.
Apparently the Australian Society of Political Cartoonists has put on an open bar tonight as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have so missed Paulines wisdom.
Apparently the Australian Society of Political Cartoonists has put on an open bar tonight as well.

The richest source of material with zero downside risk for using it.

My grandfather told me as a kid that the smartest people understand the scope of what they don't know about a subject and thus don't make many extremely costly (to them and others) stupid naive mistakes, they are seldom blindsided by the unexpected. I am certain Pauline is at the opposite spectrum of his lesson.

Last edited:
My grandfather told me as a kid that the smartest people understand the scope of what they don't know about a subject and thus don't make many extremely costly (to them and others) stupid naive mistakes, they are seldom blindsided by the unexpected. I am certain Pauline is at the opposite spectrum of his lesson.
True wisdom is to know the extent of one's ignorance
-Confucius

True wisdom is to know the extent of one's ignorance
-Confucius

so that's where he got it from, though he used to say smartest, rather than wisest

So extending that: If someone believes they are the most ignorant human on earth, does that then mean they are actually the wisest? ;)

so that's where he got it from, though he used to say smartest, rather than wisest

So extending that: If someone believes they are the most ignorant human on earth, does that then mean they are actually the wisest? ;)

Not really. If you were that ignorant, you wouldn't understand how much you don't know.

I like to think of being smart as being like a circle...What you know is inside, but at the same time, the bigger the circumference is, the more you're exposed to more and more stuff outside the circle.

Wisdom would be the self-realization of being able to measure that circle.

As the old saying goes, "empty vessels make the most noise"

Not really. If you were that ignorant, you wouldn't understand how much you don't know.

I like to think of being smart as being like a circle...What you know is inside, but at the same time, the bigger the circumference is, the more you're exposed to more and more stuff outside the circle.

;)

Wisdom would be the self-realization of being able to measure that circle.

As the old saying goes, "empty vessels make the most noise"

Hence my post about one of the earliest and most important lessons I learnt in life - knowing the scope of what you don't know on a subject.

Life is all about probabilities, and improving knowledge to better know those probabilities, and then further knowledge to improve the odds.

For example - crossing a road. We all know if you cross a road with your eyes closed you risk being hit by a vehicle. But what are the odd's? Well, if you know the type of road and how much traffic it carries and your experience in crossing the road before (if you have a big enough sample or it can give false impression of the actual odds) you improve your knowledge of the odds. You then get a better judgement of the odds of making it across safely. Of course then there are the steps you can actually take to improve the odds - using your ears to hear how much traffic is actually occurring at the time and of course opening your eyes to choose when to cross greatly improves your odds of success. They are 2 different things - better understanding of the odds and then improving the odds.

probabilities apply to absolutely everything in life, we use them subconsciously all the time with everything. Unfortunately as we see in so many things people get used to "steady state" and assume that will always be the case - this is where experience, and knowledge of the subject beyond your own experience in it is crucial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back