Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't have enough energy to be outraged by this; if the Saudis want to be campaigners (and we already know they can be), whatever, just ignore them. Though as mentioned above, why we have a cosy relationship with them politically, I'll never know.
Are you kidding? Have you heard of oil, the petrodollar, or the United States?

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-be-prosecuted-over-iraq-war-high-court-hears
The Chilcot inquiry’s conclusion that the invasion of Iraq was unnecessary and undermined the United Nations requires the prosecution of Tony Blair, the high court has heard.

In his opening argument calling for a war crimes trial in Britain, Michael Mansfield QC said that the offence of waging an aggressive war has effectively been assimilated into English law.

The attempt to bring Blair – with the former foreign secretary Jack Straw and the former attorney general Lord Goldsmith – to court has been launched by the former Iraqi general Abdulwaheed al-Rabbat.

Rabbat, said Mansfield, was motivated by last year’s publication of the report of the Chilcot inquiry into the 2003 Iraq war.

Mansfield summarised the report’s findings as: “Saddam Hussein did not pose an urgent threat to the UK, intelligence reporting about [Iraqi] weapons of mass destruction was presented with unwarranted certainty, that the war was unnecessary and that the UK undermined the authority of the UN security council.”

“Nothing could be more emphatic than these findings,” he said. “It was an unlawful war.”
John Howard can stand next to him in the dock.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
British Judge: Grenfell Tower Fire Caused By ISIS Bomb – Media Blackout

http://yournewswire.com/grenfell-tower-fire-isis-bomb/

o_O

Lets hope not.
I know you're now a satire of yourself, but that is literally a fake news site. It's one of these dopey sites that get dopey people to share dope stuff.

Here's a couple of headlines.

Donald Trump: Vaccines Cause Autism

Google Reveals As Women Turn To Violence, Men Are Turning Gay

FBI Gave Muslim Rifle, Urged Him To Carry Out Mass Shooting

And here's one which is legitimately dangerous if any of its dopey readers are actually sick.

US Study: Chemotherapy Spreads Cancers, Grows Tumors

Interesting but unsurprising.

The simplest definition of Islamophobia is the special form of racism revealing “indiscriminate negative attitudes or emotions directed at Islam and Muslims”. An Islamophobic incident is any act comprising of abusive hatred, vilification and violence inflicted on Muslims going about their daily lives.

The report is based on 243 cases of verified Islamophobic incidents collected over 14 months in 2014-15. In this respect, this is the first study of its kind anywhere in the world.

Women, especially those with Islamic head covering (79.6% of the female victims), have been the main targets of Islamophobia. One-in-three female victims had their children with them at the time of the reported incident.

Of the perpetrators, 98% were identified by those who reported it as ethnically Anglo-Celtic. Perpetrators were three times more likely to be male. While lone males were more likely to be the perpetrator, lone Muslim women tended to be the victims.

Further, nobody intervened in 75% of the reported incidents, even though half the incidents occurred in crowded public places. Encouragingly, though, one-in-four public incidents received intervention by non-Muslims, and interestingly non-Muslims constituted about 25% of the witness reporters.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
So I see Melbourne's entire train network crashed today...fmd...

What happens when the population overtakes Sydney? I would label its infrastructure as hopelessly inadequate now, what happens when 3mil more people are thrown into the mix?

Anyone with urban development knowledge/expertise...does infrastructure in Melbourne have any chance at all of catching up?

Jesus H...love the joint to bits, but how long before it becomes unliveable for a large chunk of the population? Or is that too dramatic?

Last edited:

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
So I see Melbourne's entire train network crashed today...fmd...

What happens when the population overtakes Sydney? I would label its infrastructure as hopelessly inadequate now, what happens when 3mil more people are thrown into the mix?

Anyone with urban development knowledge/expertise...does infrastructure in Melbourne have any chance at all of catching up?

Jesus H...love the joint to bits, but how long before it becomes unliveable for a large chunk of the population? Or is that too dramatic?
Or we could just slow down immigration and not pretend that increasing overall GDP is the same as increasing GDP per capita.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Or we could just slow down immigration and not pretend that increasing overall GDP is the same as increasing GDP per capita.

Slowing down immigration improves infrastructure how?

Since it can't cope now I assume the city would have to actually start shedding population for it to function properly...

I've done my bit. Where are you moving to?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Slowing down immigration improves infrastructure how?

Since it can't cope now I assume the city would have to actually start shedding population for it to function properly...

I've done my bit. Where are you moving to?
I mean to prevent 3 million more people living in Melbourne.

I don't think the infrastructure is that bad now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Immigration is focused on working age people that can pay taxes, the existing population is ageing and there are more and more people that are net users of government resources rather than contributors. Simply slowing immigration won't fix this imbalance and will likely exacerbate it.

Immigration is focused on working age people that can pay taxes, the existing population is ageing and there are more and more people that are net users of government resources rather than contributors. Simply slowing immigration won't fix this imbalance and will likely exacerbate it.

Good, responsible government should have planned for this. We must demand better.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good, responsible government should have planned for this. We must demand better.

We as a society need to figure out what number of immigrants and refugees we will take a year and stick to it, then reassess when necessary. It wouldn't be the worst idea to let the majority decide on this, as there isn't really a right or wrong answer to this. Let the people live and die by the sword. If our country suffers because we took in too few or too many then it is on us.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
We as a society need to figure out what number of immigrants and refugees we will take a year and stick to it, then reassess when necessary. It wouldn't be the worst idea to let the majority decide on this, as there isn't really a right or wrong answer to this. Let the people live and die by the sword. If our country suffers because we took in too few or too many then it is on us.
That's populism, not leadership. In theory, we have a government to address the issues that we simply aren't qualified to answer. Bazza down the road shouldn't be deciding legal policy any more than I should be discussing construction costs of infrastructure.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's populism, not leadership. In theory, we have a government to address the issues that we simply aren't qualified to answer. Bazza down the road shouldn't be deciding legal policy any more than I should be discussing construction costs of infrastructure.

Good point. Going by the comments section on.... well, anywhere, though, Bazza will probably wanna clob you over the head for not taking him seriously enough... and there's millions of 'em. I get why politicians are so vague, though. Apart from America it's political suicide to say what you really want to do before you're elected.

This is disgusting, hope he is locked away for life.

India’s supreme court has refused to allow a 10-year-old rape victim to have an abortion because doctors said she was too far into her pregnancy.
The girl, who has not been named, was allegedly raped several times by an uncle. He has been arrested.

India
has a grim record of sexual assaults on minors with 20,000 cases of rape or sexual assaults reported in 2015, according to government data. A UN committee on the rights of the child in 2014 said one in three rape victims were a minor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back