Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan makes sense actually. His footy has a got a lot more consistent this year and he would have played over 100 games by the time Hurn is ready to step away.

Can see him becoming a damaging back flanker that can find the footy a bit.

Dam0

Draftee
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m sure stats will prove me wrong but McGovern just seems lazy.
If you go to the games keep an eye on a few things.
The bloke never hands out footys at end to anyone other than right at the exit as they walk out. (Might not seem like much but it’s just funny to notice it)
Normally one of two people that don’t get around the young blokes when they kick their first goals etc
Always quick to stop when he’s beaten
And as said above, every bit of contact, minor or hard he appears to be injured and you just wonder if he’s ever going to get up
You're probably the only other person on this board to see the carry on this guy does..
I could go on about how I worked a manual job for 21 days straight with no days off with a broken leg and you'd all call me out for my bullshoot, but because he plays football for a football club you barrack for he's infallible.
FYI, I'm a WCE fan from the minute I was born, just don't like guys like McGovern who -as footballers- are nothing special, selfish, and when beaten flop around so it looks like they tried harder than they actually did.
Also the capitalist in me says he did nothing wrong to push for a $1m salary, but come on, who seriously thinks this out-of-shape Jake Lloyd seagull type -with less skill, deserves $1m a year.

(FYI, I did work with a broken leg and didn't feel the need to carry on about it.)

Dam0

Draftee
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not saying he's bad.

I'm saying he's not in our top 10-12 players.
And definitely not in our top 18 leaders.

McGovern being captain would probably make me throw up in my mouth.
One of the most selfish players I've ever had the distaste of watching. He plays a role that Simpson has designed & gets cult status + $1m/yr for it when any other player such as Barrass would probably do it better & cheaper without the glory stealing sideshows.

I've never seen a player flop to the ground with minimal-no contact, to avoid actually impacting an easy goal-square goal. The guy goes to ground more than Julian Assange. He also takes more run-from-behind-50m-punts than guys like Matty Suckling, Franklin or Hurn etc, you know, guys that could actually hit it.
I went back and looked up how many he took/made either 2018 or 2017, and it was around 12 and went 0/12.
TLDR; Selfish as ****.

You see McFluffen wandering around by himself waiting for cherrypick marks.
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swarhily

All Australian
Aug 4, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
76ers
One of the most selfish players I've ever had the distaste of watching. He plays a role that Simpson has designed & gets cult status + $1m/yr for it when any other player such as Barrass would probably do it better & cheaper without the glory stealing sideshows.

I've never seen a player flop to the ground with minimal-no contact, to avoid actually impacting an easy goal-square goal. The guy goes to ground more than Julian Assange. He also takes more run-from-behind-50m-punts than guys like Matty Suckling, Franklin or Hurn etc, you know, guys that could actually hit it.
I went back and looked up how many he took/made either 2018 or 2017, and it was around 12 and went 0/12.
TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Sheppard for me.
The guy goes back with the flight and genuinely puts himself at risk to help his teammates.
Not only that but he went from being a pure mid, to being a super accountable yet great intercepting rebounding back-pocket general that doesn't get enough credit from non-wce supporters.

You see McFluffen wandering around by himself waiting for cherrypick marks, Sheppard is generally the one guarding both of their opponents to allow this.
This means he regularly picks up guys with 10+ cm on him, and how often do we actually see him lose a contest? Maybe once a match.
Captain this man.

giphy.gif

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
I'm not saying he's bad.

I'm saying he's not in our top 10-12 players.
And definitely not in our top 18 leaders.

Changed from:

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Now who's flip flopping? Just say you hate the guy and be done with it. Stand by your convictions without backtracking.
It's ok to bodily function on the guy, you're entitled to your opinion. You're also going to come under heavy criticism for it.

You also did go on about working with a broken leg. You mentioned it more than once, and mentioned it at all which was irrelevant to the conversation though you felt the need to defend yourself.

Just saying friendo, some holes appeared.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Changed from:

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Now who's flip flopping? Just say you hate the guy and be done with it. Stand by your convictions without backtracking.
It's ok to bodily function on the guy, you're entitled to your opinion. You're also going to come under heavy criticism for it.

You also did go on about working with a broken leg. You mentioned it more than once, and mentioned it at all which was irrelevant to the conversation though you felt the need to defend yourself.

I also worked on a broken leg for 7 weeks after developing stress fractures from footy. Mind you, I was mis-diagnosed with tendonitis when it turned out my fibula was clean broken above the ankle. Hurt like hell but kept working because I didn't think it was broken...

I'm also not paid $1M per-annum to play footy.

Dam0

Draftee
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Changed from:

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

I think he's selfish and has a massive ego relative to his genuine ability. I'm saying I don't think he's a bad person, as I wouldn't know that.

The broken leg stuff was relevant to another persons comment, otherwise I wouldn't mention it.

If you genuinely believe this guy gives his all, you've not really watched him, or you've never had to carry the workload of someone like him in a professional environment.

Either way, to get it back on topic.

He should not, and will never be the captain because he has no leadership.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Tom Barrass for me ....... in 2021.
That is far from the dumbest suggestion I have seen on BigFooty.

To outsiders Hurn seemed an odd choice and was considered so-so for a few years. But unquestioned now as one of best ever leaders. Barrass could be the next inspired choice.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle

To outsiders Hurn seemed an odd choice and was considered so-so for a few years. But unquestioned now as one of best ever leaders. Barrass could be the next inspired choice.

From memory I think Barrass was captain of the Claremont colts team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Thanks......I think, for the backhanded compliment! He is the leader of the next generation ........ learning from the cool headed leaders in the tight backline .....ie Hurn, Gov, Shep and Jetta. He's a smart kid. A bit different but will be ready for the job in 2021.

Duggan does little for me to warrant such a popular captain choice.

I know we all WANT him to suddenly be this great leader, because that was one of the biggest selling points when we drafted him. It's what we all expect.

But which part about his 12 disposal (3 contested), 2 tackle effort yesterday exerted leadership?

Considering our defense was a shambles and lacking leadership, i thought Sheppard was the only one of our defenders who stood up.

Before someone jumps up and down over the fact Duggan is still only a 5th year player, we're talking about Hurns Succession in 2021.

So you'd want to be seeing some of these leadership traits shine through now if he's seriously going to take over that mantle in 18 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back