List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like a case of preparing yourself for the worst so you're not disappointed. He is ours if we want him, rest easy.
Not if AFL change the rules on the go again. AFL were already looking into changes and now this case of Chris Johnson’s kid being eligible for Essendon has stirred up the hornets nest again.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's father son, Ugle-Hagan isn't. I'm pretty confident NGA zones will stay the same.
The issue with Johnson is that he is eligible as a father son and the NGA for Essendon which draws attention to the fact the NGA isn’t doing what it was designed to do. Pretty genuine concerns they will make changes to both the NGA and northern academies given they have given the job to McKay to come back with a recommendation

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The issue with Johnson is that he is eligible as a father son and the NGA for Essendon which draws attention to the fact the NGA isn’t doing what it was designed to do. Pretty genuine concerns they will make changes to both the NGA and northern academies given they have given the job to McKay to come back with a recommendation
Quite possibly but I'd expect other clubs to argue, any changes should be made now but enforced in a year or two, given the amount of work clubs have already done with draftees this year and next. See what happens I guess.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
like Blakely being academy eligible even though he would have had a footy in his hands since birth? Plenty of other examples in the northern academies, whats the difference? Surely any rule changes become effective after current players anyway

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
like Blakely being academy eligible even though he would have had a footy in his hands since birth? Plenty of other examples in the northern academies, whats the difference? Surely any rule changes become effective after current players anyway
Mate I’m certainly not defending the northern academies. All the noise being made at the moment around the NGA’s are that they aren’t doing what they were designed for in terms of bringing in kids who come from communities that haven’t had a lot of expose to AFL.
And the nay sayers are using Johnson and Quaynor from last year of examples of how that may not be the case.

McKay is assessing both the NGA and northern academies, so there will be some changes.

Hopefully the fact we have already put time into our guy counts for something but who knows

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mate I’m certainly not defending the northern academies. All the noise being made at the moment around the NGA’s are that they aren’t doing what they were designed for in terms of bringing in kids who come from communities that haven’t had a lot of expose to AFL.
And the nay sayers are using Johnson and Quaynor from last year of examples of how that may not be the case.

McKay is assessing both the NGA and northern academies, so there will be some changes.

Hopefully the fact we have already put time into our guy counts for something but who knows
Wasnt having a go or anything but its just frustrating that this comes up now when its literally been happening for years in the northern academies. Im all for changes to both academies for the better but * it would be poor even for the AFLs standards to take away players that already have time put into them. Itd be so amateur its not funny.

Whenever the AFL makes changes we get screwed. It's just a fact of life.

It follows from the fact that their current mission is not to prop up established clubs but to support clubs that will expand their reach and increase viewers (in fact they just announced they were tipping an additional $2.5 into GWS this year).

I'm struggling to think of a spontaneous change they've made in recent years that has worked to our benefit. There have been one or two where their hand has been forced and where we got a similar benefit to everybody else (eg latest TV rights deal) but it's a rare AFL change that benefits us ahead of any other clubs.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apparently changes to the recruiting of father sons changed because of us too. Could be wrong but I remember hearing/reading that even though Geelong got Ablett, Scarlett, Hawkins through father son, AFL thought about changing it because we got Liberatore for a late second rounder.

I hope I’m wrong but it would just be peak AFL to screw us just as we’re about to strongly benefit from NGA and after other clubs have already had a bite of the apple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooper-Craig: 17D 12K 5H 7T 3RE 50 3IN 50
J.Dwyer: 4D 4K 1M 1T
L.Herbert 21D 16k 5H 4T 3RE 50 4IN 50
H.Sharp: 18 D 13k 5H 3M 1T 3RE50
El-Hawli: 7D 6K 1H 3M 1G

Cooper Craig-Peters- Out (school footy)

Clem Nagorcka Not playing
Brenton Dalton Not playing
Toby Jennings Not playing
Fraser Marris named at Full Forward
Harry Sharp Out
Marcus Herbert named inside mid
Flynn Atchison Not playing
Nicholas Stevens Not playing
Fergus Macdonald Not named
Saad El-Hawli named on the bench
Ugle-Hagan named half forward

Round Wrap
Fraser Marris : 13 disposals, 7 kicks 6 handballs 3 tackles and 2 behinds
Marcus Herbert 10 Disposals, 1 kick, 9 handballs 4 tackles
Saad El-Hawli: Ended up not playing
Ugle-Hagan 1 Goal, 7 Disposals, 6 kicks 1 handball 2 Marks

Round 5 wrap
Sophie Molan: 20 disposals, 11 kicks, 9 handballs 3 tackles
Nyakoat Dojiok: 12 disposals, 11 kicks, 1 handball 2 marks, 2 tackles 1 behind

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Round Wrap
Fraser Marris : 13 disposals, 7 kicks 6 handballs 3 tackles and 2 behinds
Marcus Herbert 10 Disposals, 1 kick, 9 handballs 4 tackles
Saad El-Hawli: Ended up not playing
Ugle-Hagan 1 Goal, 7 Disposals, 6 kicks 1 handball 2 Marks
Where do you get the stats from? Got a local we cover here but I can't see the specific stats on the NAB League SportsTG site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back