chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Do all players have to come through a State League pathway? Obviously Irish Of American players won’t but I’m assuming this kid will have to be playing for an SANFL club at some point.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Do all players have to come through a State League pathway? Obviously Irish Of American players won’t but I’m assuming this kid will have to be playing for an SANFL club at some point.
Would be aligned to a club, but doesn't necessarily mean they ever play for them. My lad for instance has played football, is aligned to West Adelaide, but has never played for them.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I fear yes. I think the Crows would like to keep it under wraps as he's not exposed much, but it seems good recruiters are already all over him anyway.
Ah well, perhaps insurance for Edwards should they decide not to nominate as FS for us or Borlase should we lose access to him for some reason or not going on as well as we'd like.

Would be aligned to a club, but doesn't necessarily mean they ever play for them. My lad for instance has played football, is aligned to West Adelaide, but has never played for them.
Web piccies should him in Glenelg colours.

bell end.jpg

Last edited:

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
A big footy poster that occasionally gets good intel....

Your right though, it is highly unlikely he isn't going to be known by every club by next year (if not already).

However, there is a difference between the kid getting exposed form against quality and being bid on at pick 5 and being kept out of it and being bid on at pick 25....

Dont doubt the Intel just doubt players can be hidden these days

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hoping Daniel S and Anzac L get through and we can Rookie List them as CAT B and have the 2 extra players on the list 38 + 6 CAT a Rookies +2 CAT B Rookies

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
99% sure they are NGA not category B, they will count on the list if we take them.
The example is Port with Fredericks and Pudney that they are on Ports Rookie List as no one bid for them in the Draft or Rookie List. As Rookie B can't play AFL unless spot opens up. Hawks with Sudanese player who made debut in Snow game.

Just read borlase’s father played 250 games for port Adelaide. Assuming he’s aligubke for f/s as well as NGA?

Not at all. Like Gibbs, he didn't get 200 games within the cutoff time.

Borlase is only eligible for NGA, and Port has Rucci to thank for that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually ridiculous that we have Daryl Borlase's kid attached to us as a next generation acadamy player - How many other players like him are tied to clubs - Genuine rort, really -

Hilarious too, all it took was James being born in Egypt.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just read borlase’s father played 250 games for port Adelaide. Assuming he’s aligubke for f/s as well as NGA?
Have a good laugh with this...

Last edited:

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Scouting notes: Under-17 Futures (2019)

#23 James Borlase (Sturt)

Borlase is in the rare position of being a player whose father played more than 250 games for Port Adelaide, while also being an Adelaide Crows academy member, and he may cost either club a pretty penny at this stage. Drifting across the defensive 50, Borlase took a couple of strong intercept marks in the third term and chased the ball up well at ground level. He is that in-between size – not quite having key-position height but possessing a strong frame – and can play both tall and small roles. While his marking game was strong, Borlase had a couple of less comfortable moments on the ground, getting caught holding the ball on two occasions despite a solid overall game

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I think you’ll find the criteria to qualify as a cat B rookie is much broader than that.
Here's the rules:
10.1 Rookie List – Establishment and Number
(a) Each Club must maintain a Rookie List up to a maximum number of Category A Rookie Players and Category B Rookie Players as detailed in Appendix 1.
(b) In addition to maintaining the maximum number of allowable Category A Rookie Players on their Rookie List under Rule 10.1, each Club may include a maximum of three (3) extra Players on its Category B Rookie List provided those Players are:
(i) former International Scholarship List Players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 13.5 or 13.8;
(ii) former Club Academy players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 14.4;
(iii) International Players with the exception of Players who, subject to Rule 10.1(c), are Irish citizens or who have, in the opinion of the AFL, lived for a substantial period of time in Ireland prior to inclusion on the Rookie List;
(iv) Players who have not been registered or played in an Australian football competition for 3 years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
(v) a Qualified NGA Player of the Club who has been nominated in accordance with Rule 15.8(c).
The relevant part of Rule 14.4 :
(e) Club Academy Player Rookie Pre-Selection
(i) Subject to Rule 14.4(e)(ii), where a Club Academy Player has been nominated in accordance with Rule 14.4(c) and is not selected at a National Draft or Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting, the Club with whom he is eligible as a Club Academy Player may include him on its Rookie List prior to the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting in accordance with Rule 10.4.
(ii) By the date nominated by the AFL prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting, the Club must provide to the AFL written evidence of the Club’s intention to list a Player under Rule 14.4(e)(i) if he is not selected by any Club at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting using the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 34A.
So, yes, and NGA player can be a Cat B rookie, provided nobody selects them in the ND.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back