Next premiership contender: Melbourne or Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Big game this weekend- two premiership fancies in a season defining do-or-die battle.

Both teams a little rusty at the moment but I'm expecting a highly skilled, high intensity contest. Perfect prime time TV viewing. Can't wait!
I am actually looking more forward to this game than my pies against eagles.

Although I have always loved desperation.

Essendon supporters would have to be pretty resilient to sustain optimism throughout the last decade or so.

No finals wins.
ASADA scandal.
Underperforming when expected to challenge.
Talk of Hirdy coming back to AFL.

Wowzers.

Melbourne will still be a top 4 team this year imo. Just a slow start, but their list is too talented to fail.
Yes I’m resilient.

Still very tough to make a call on this one.
I would say the dons have the better balance across the ground, where the dees are deep in the inside mid, ruck and flank talent.
Both need a good serving of better standards though. The two lists in the hands of a Geelong, hawthorn, Sydney or collingwood would win flags.

Essendon supporters would have to be pretty resilient to sustain optimism throughout the last decade or so.

No finals wins.
ASADA scandal.
Underperforming when expected to challenge.
Talk of Hirdy coming back to AFL.

Wowzers.

Melbourne will still be a top 4 team this year imo. Just a slow start, but their list is too talented to fail.
Never underestimate sides.

I follow the dees closely as my preferred neutral team to follow (ie no emotional investment but I’d like to see them do well for their fans)

Talented lists are one thing. And something I think both clubs have.

Attitude is too important in the afl. And both teams are terrible in that area

Can the demons push Salem into the midfield? The current Melbourne midfield's disposal is scary bad.
problem is he is our best user off half back.

If Kolojashnij can get back into the sideand in form one of him or Salem will go through the middle

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

The two lists in the hands of a Geelong, hawthorn, Sydney or collingwood would win flags.

if every player was on a completely different list at a culture that wasn't dog s**t they would win flags?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, it's their forwardline.

Hogan - gone.

McDonald - fallen off a cliff form-wise.

Garlett - no longer elite.
This is where Petracca should be stepping up to be a Josh Caddy type player. He'd be another disappointment so far.

I do think Weidemen will be a good player long term though, but he might be a better as a number 2.

This is where Petracca should be stepping up to be a Josh Caddy type player. He'd be another disappointment so far.

I do think Weidemen will be a good player long term though, but he might be a better as a number 2.
True true. It's funny at the time of the draft, I was very disappointed that Weidemann (Pick 9) got taken one pick before McKay (Pick 10).

In hindsight, McKay probably looks the better prospect (although it's still early doors).

True true. It's funny at the time of the draft, I was very disappointed that Weidemann (Pick 9) got taken one pick before McKay (Pick 10).

In hindsight, McKay probably looks the better prospect (although it's still early doors).
I'd take McKay quite comfortably. Looks good.

Essendon.

Melbourne are a long, long way away. 2/3's of their best 22 have a lot of work to do.
Essendon
I feel Melbourne won't challenge seriously over the next ten years.
Essendon easily. They at least have some serious kpp prospects.
Essendon for me. Just feel they have more overall talent, especially in the KPP division.
Interesting. This is just from the first page as well! Essendon are further away from contending for a premiership now than what they were a decade ago.. while Melbourne are smack bang in the middle of their window, with the 2021 flag already in their back pocket!

Interesting. This is just from the first page as well! Essendon are further away from contending for a premiership now than what they were a decade ago.. while Melbourne are smack bang in the middle of their window, with the 2021 flag already in their back pocket!
Was this really your task for today? To go back to a 2012 thread and find incorrect Essendon predictions. Essendon has only one player from 2012 that played today :think:

Was this really your task for today? To go back to a 2012 thread and find incorrect Essendon predictions. Essendon has only one player from 2012 that played today :think:
I'm sure the thread started this year about who wins their next flag first out of Carlton and Essendon will be interesting to look back on in the future too.

I mean, in 2012 it was a day by day proposition as to whether we'd even be around in 10 years let alone winning a flag.

Round 2 2013 Essendon beat us by 148 points. We started clearing house the week after if I remember correctly (Schwab booted out).

I'd take McKay quite comfortably. Looks good.
Good take given the date of your comment. I was disappointed at draft night when we didn’t get Weideman, still think he’s a good player but clearly not to McKay’s standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back