NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are they going to play in the granny then? You seem to have a big agenda v north but never actually make any predictions. So put it on the line analyst. Name your Grand final.
Doesn’t take much to get you going 🤪
Hberg vs Mont/Banyule/Gboro/Hursty

Go make yourself a Milo and calm down son.

Just find it hilarious, all the potting of north but no one sticks their head out and says a challenger if north aren’t gonna make the granny. Soft as.
So I ask again you and old mate brasstap.

Name your grand final.
I can’t remember tipping grand finalists but I’m getting old so I very well may have

I think it might be a GF preview this week

Doesn’t take much to get you going 🤪
Hberg vs Mont/Banyule/Gboro/Hursty

Go make yourself a Milo and calm down son.

Well done, we finally have a tip. Mont it is for you or any other finals team except north. Quality assessment

Bergs a lock for GF… Going to be hard for Bridges to perform on a normal sized and shaped deck. Unfortunately that’s a huge disadvantage for the club and imo why teams like Mont have always struggled come finals time.

Biggest issue for the doggies is there lack of depth. Have only won the one game in the reserves which was against Bundoora, and let’s be honest Bundoora 2’s at the moment would struggle to beat division 3 reserves.
I had them playing in the grand final but this lack of depth could very well be the difference come finals time

D1 seems pretty weak to me this season. Certainly not the names running around like we’ve seen in the past.
The points system and now one only junior MOU is designed to encourage clubs to foster their own players and bring them through. Clubs like St Mary's will be in D1 soon.
Gone are the days of the huge multiple buy ins like NP 25 years ago. I love it but fair enough some are attracted to the ex AFL names who blow through

D1 seems pretty weak to me this season. Certainly not the names running around like we’ve seen in the past.
LP list of 2001-2003 would be a top 2-3 side these days. Best season was 03 when they won 7 games in Div 1 with Danny Sexton as coach.

Guys like Billy McGee (3 x b&f @lower)), Howard Cameron, Secco, Jason Dullard, Gerard Jess, Paul Butterworth, Rob Schaeffer (Rich), Justin Arnold (Swans) Gerard Bennet all played ones at Port, as well as some good Tassie kids who came across to do Uni.

Div one was far more competitive back then. Nowadays you get ex AFL blokes who struggle to make a dent!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the ex AFL players are struggling because the overall standard is up?

I reckon it depends on the position. A big unit will be able to clunk marks purely on their size. But a half forward/winger from the afl system might battle as they are used to having quality link up ball through the ground. They would be used to getting 40m drilled passes. All of a sudden, every second ball coming down the wing is a helicopter.

I guess will see the damage Callum Brown can do for Mont this week. ( most likely starting on the ball im guessing)

I reckon it depends on the position. A big unit will be able to clunk marks purely on their size. But a half forward/winger from the afl system might battle as they are used to having quality link up ball through the ground. They would be used to getting 40m drilled passes. All of a sudden, every second ball coming down the wing is a helicopter.

I guess will see the damage Callum Brown can do for Mont this week. ( most likely starting on the ball im guessing)

Agree.

I think ex AFL are used to playing on larger grounds too. Along with your point on passes not being as accurate, it can take time to adapt with running patterns, timing, positioning.

You also have some top local players who can hold their own. In saying that Sier is a beast, similar to when Bell was at Greensy, those big powerful bodies can be the difference at local level.

Cal Brown a solid inclusion. I see Lentini not named again, but heard it's an ankle which he injured in that Eltham hit, nothing to do with concussion.

The likes of Shelley St and Para Rd are a long way from the pristine, and large, environments these guys used to - NFNL certainly more suited to someone who can pull down a big clunk or enjoys the contested stuff

The white-collar boys thrive in the Ammo's

Disastrous day for Macleod today. Going down by 106 points to Hursty and Bundoora winning convincingly against WP. I’m hearing that Darcy Barden if not prior to clearance deadline, then certainly next season is out!

Promised by club that various recruits would be part of his tenure but none eventuated!

Huge win for Mont.

I’m sure North will let us know they had 20 missing
Great win for Mont they were in total control - Holmes & Brown in the same team adds a lot.
Heatley has been kicking bags against weaker sides but only the 1 goal
Mont will be there as always and Nth will be in the top 5 simply because the drop off is that significant
Someone posted the other day that DIV1 standard/class has dropped - couldnt agree more

Great win for Mont they were in total control - Holmes & Brown in the same team adds a lot.
Heatley has been kicking bags against weaker sides but only the 1 goal
Mont will be there as always and Nth will be in the top 5 simply because the drop off is that significant
Someone posted the other day that DIV1 standard/class has dropped - couldnt agree more
Parker did kick 9 against Greensborough who are one of the better teams.
Not sure Nth are top 5 worthy at the moment
Who do they replace in the top 5?

Disastrous day for Macleod today. Going down by 106 points to Hursty and Bundoora winning convincingly against WP. I’m hearing that Darcy Barden if not prior to clearance deadline, then certainly next season is out!

Promised by club that various recruits would be part of his tenure but none eventuated!
The Buz Still plenty to play out in the relegation battle but after Bundoora's win yesterday Macleod must now be favorites to be relegated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back