NFNL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on.. Plenty of people live close enough to consider playing there

The city of Whittlesea (not the suburb) I’m talking about

Point being is they’ve got plenty to draw on.
10571z you know city of Whittlesea is primarily Lalor, Epping, Sth Morang.
It has always been a battle for Whittlesea to recruit as you pass so many footy clubs on the way up plenty rd.
I still maintain them and Hurstbridge bat way above what they probably should and deserve credit for being in division 1.
Some clubs much better off in division 2 but can’t make that jump

LOL you are spot on with Whittlesea - as a small country town has outbid many NFL DIV 1 sides with players and $$$$
They have supporters with money & businesses with money that go into one club - Compare that with 15 clubs within 10KM of each other trying to all get their share of the pie
Dont feel sorry for clubs like whittlesea or Hurstbridge as they have all the money from their communities with no competition - Good luck to them dont think they are underdogs LOL
No need to feel sorry for anyone, but look back at Div 1 premiers over the last 40 years - the further out you go, the harder they are to win

10571z you know city of Whittlesea is primarily Lalor, Epping, Sth Morang.
It has always been a battle for Whittlesea to recruit as you pass so many footy clubs on the way up plenty rd.
I still maintain them and Hurstbridge bat way above what they probably should and deserve credit for being in division 1.
Some clubs much better off in division 2 but can’t make that jump
Well aware. Those suburbs are like 10-20mins away, that’s my point plenty of talent around.

But it they travel up from other areas, Whittlesea is the end of the line along Plenty Road and players have to travel past clubs like Bundoora, Lalor, Mernda, Laurimar, South Morang, etc. on the way.

If Whittlesea have to compete with these clubs for a player's signature, the other clubs have the incentive of less travel for training, games, etc.

If they match what Whittlesea offer, the Eagles lose out more often than not, no matter what division the other club plays.

But it they travel up from other areas, Whittlesea is the end of the line along Plenty Road and players have to travel past clubs like Bundoora, Lalor, Mernda, Laurimar, South Morang, etc. on the way.

If Whittlesea have to compete with these clubs for a player's signature, the other clubs have the incentive of less travel for training, games, etc.

If they match what Whittlesea offer, the Eagles lose out more often than not, no matter what division the other club plays.
end of the day, game time will win over location you would think, and Whittle can offer that,

Yes must be hard to compete with Lalor, Mernda, South Morang and Laurimar for quality div1 footballers.

You know most players don’t just play for the closest club to where they live.

Yes must be hard to compete with Lalor, Mernda, South Morang and Laurimar for quality div1 footballers.

You know most players don’t just play for the closest club to where they live.
10571z but didn’t you say that this is who Whittlesea compete with lol
Like MortlockWatcher said, they have to contend with the distance to travel up to Whittlesea, Plenty rd is a nightmare, that’s an extra $50-100 per game just dealing with that lol.
Much easier for a player closer to town, as you say they have plenty of options but also a lot more players for clubs to try and recruit.
Whittlesea has generally done a good job of retaining local players and those they lose generally are going onto better footy eg VFL.
It’s the recruits that but Whittlesea and Hurstbridge struggle to get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How old is he now? He will be handy in Div 1.
I think they are losing a few players. So hopefully they can recruit well or it could be a long year.
Bianchin is gone
nosecondprize would have to be early 30’s.
Interesting recruiting by Macleod, thought they need more 21-24 years olds not early 30 year olds

He is a gun, just won a comp medal. You don’t pass on players like that due to be “30”.
32 I believe and he's a good player in Div 2. He's played 1 year of Division 1 footy in the last 10 years. So we have no idea how he will go at that age. It's a massive step up.

Plus Hurley will hardly play. They need a hell of alot more to be competitive against the top 5-6 teams.

Last edited:
I once heard Dale Nolan say Darcy Barden is the best player he's ever played with. That's a decent call considering he's played in 5 Premierships at Heidelberg.

I once heard Dale Nolan say Darcy Barden is the best player he's ever played with. That's a decent call considering he's played in 5 Premierships at Heidelberg.
Good pick up for Macleod, might be 31 next year, but still will be better than most of their talls this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back