Nic Nat v Goldstein v Gawn.

Who is the best ruckman in the game?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting comparison. Nic Nat arguably not as consistent as the other two in their best years, but capable of the extraordinary and can do things no other ruckman can do.

All I can say is having Nic Nat at the Eagles, I wouldn't trade him for either of the other two. But, if I was a Melbourne or North fan, I'd probably say the same thing if I had Goldstein or Gawn.

A ruckman needs to have quality tapwork, dominate the tapouts, take contested marks, and kick goals.

Over their careers Goldstein is the clear standout, while Gawn was the standout in the most recent year.

One year isn't enough, so I say Goldstein. If Gawn backs up then it's him.

Interesting comparison. Nic Nat arguably not as consistent as the other two in their best years, but capable of the extraordinary and can do things no other ruckman can do.

All I can say is having Nic Nat at the Eagles, I wouldn't trade him for either of the other two. But, if I was a Melbourne or North fan, I'd probably say the same thing if I had Goldstein or Gawn.

All three have different strengths too. NN probably has the best quality hitouts and is the best at contesting the ball at ground level, Goldstein is the fittest and easily has the best skills, Gawn will win the most hitouts through his sheer size and is comfortably the best mark of any ruck in the comp.

All I can say is having Nic Nat at the Eagles, I wouldn't trade him for either of the other two. .
Seeing as he will miss most of 2017 after a knee injury and is older than Gawn, youd be a terrible list manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruckmen are flavour of the season anyway.

You ask this question same time last year Goldstein would have 95% of the vote and Gawn would have been lucky to get a vote.

You ask this question in 2014 and Sam Jacobs would have won.

Gawn spanked it this season, but not through actual rucking, more everyhting else.
All rucks are over rated.. their stats are made by the mids who surround then generally.
Gawn won because he marked and kicked goals... not his rucking

Gawn spanked it this season, but not through actual rucking, more everyhting else.
All rucks are over rated.. their stats are made by the mids who surround then generally.
Gawn won because he marked and kicked goals... not his rucking
The second silliest thing I've read on here for ages.

The top 3 ruck/midfielder combinations in the AFL for 2016 were Gawn/Viney, Gawn/Tyson and Gawn/Jones. The top 3 for all clubs involved Gawn.

His ruck craft was exceptional.

Learn a bit about the game I assume you love.

The second silliest thing I've read on here for ages.

The top 3 ruck/midfielder combinations in the AFL for 2016 were Gawn/Viney, Gawn/Tyson and Gawn/Jones. The top 3 for all clubs involved Gawn.

His ruck craft was exceptional.

Learn a bit about the game I assume you love.
And how did the season pan out for these combinations.
How are Roughead and Boyds rucking stats comparitavely, and how did their season pan out.
Rucking... pfft, its a thing of the past, all those stats are generally meaningless now in the modern game.

And how did the season pan out for these combinations.
How are Roughead and Boyds rucking stats comparitavely, and how did their season pan out.
Rucking... pfft, its a thing of the past, all those stats are generally meaningless now in the modern game.
Meaningless unless you have a top ruckman

A ruckman needs to have quality tapwork, dominate the tapouts, take contested marks, and kick goals.

Over their careers Goldstein is the clear standout, while Gawn was the standout in the most recent year.

One year isn't enough, so I say Goldstein. If Gawn backs up then it's him.
Disagree, a ruckman has to influence the game, and some influence the game differently, NicNats strength are his hitouts and follow up work, no ruck does what he does and stats don't do him justice, Gawn and Goldstein are better in other areas, I'd take Gawn over the pair though, love his aggression.

Disagree, a ruckman has to influence the game, and some influence the game differently, NicNats strength are his hitouts and follow up work, no ruck does what he does and stats don't do him justice, Gawn and Goldstein are better in other areas, I'd take Gawn over the pair though, love his aggression.
Gawn would be the best out of these 3. Have to say Tom Boyd has overtaken Goldstein and Natinaui, with his brilliant performance in the GF.
Natinaui and Goldstein need to become premiership players to be the best, which is highly unlikely in the near future, with their teams having substandard lists.

Gawn would be the best out of these 3. Have to say Tom Boyd has overtaken Goldstein and Natinaui, with his brilliant performance in the GF.
Natinaui and Goldstein need to become premiership players to be the best, which is highly unlikely in the near future, with their teams having substandard lists.

I don't think Boyd will spend as much time in the ruck anymore, IMO they'll play him as a permanent KF now he's got his confidence up.

Back