Draft Profile Nick Blakey [Academy prospect for Sydney]

Which club will Nick end up at?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane had johnothan Brown and 3 Brownlow medallist and 3 premierships can't say they struggled for champions to look up to imo
This is not the place for such a discussion. Still...

I welcome you to move to Brisbane or the Gold Coast and experience first hand how little interest is given to the game up here by the media and government at all levels. Or how hostile the media and sections of the community can be towards the game.

I managed a pub during Brisbane's premiership era. If I tried to turn one channel in a pub with 20+ tv's, on to the Brisbane Lions, I would receive numerous complaints from patrons, and be roundly jeered in the public bar section.

There are only three ways kids are drawn to the game.

First, they born in to an AFL supporting family, most likely born in Melbourne but family moved to QLD for work etc, where they were exposed to AFL from a young age.

Secondly, they are tapped on the shoulder by a Brisbane or Gold Coast talent scout at a non AFL sporting event and asked if they would like to give AFL a go.

Or thirdly, their best mate at school or in the neighbourhood belongs to group one, and they get drawn in to the game by association.

I was at work on the weekend in the lift with a ~21 year old employee, and some how the conversation was drawn to the Lions game (I was probably heading to the only tv at work with game on, because I put it on earlier in the day), and first thing she said when I mentioned Brisbane Lions was, "oh, GAYFL ...".

QLD kids aren't looking up to our premiership era players, because 95% won't even have heard of them because they weren't born at the time, or were to young at the time, or were/are exposed to anything positive about the game.

It's so hard for people who grow up with the game, to imagine life where AFL is not part of the natural landscape. Best example I can give you is the Melbourne Storm.

Last edited:
This is not the place for such a discussion. Still...

I welcome you to move to Brisbane or the Gold Coast and experience first hand how little interest is given to the game up here by the media and government at all levels. Or how hostile the media and sections of the community can be towards the game.

I managed a pub during Brisbane's premiership era. If I tried to turn one channel in a pub with 20+ tv's, on to the Brisbane Lions, I would receive numerous complaints from patrons, and be roundly jeered in the public bar section.

There are only three ways kids are drawn to the game.

First, they born in to an AFL supporting family, most likely born in Melbourne but family moved to QLD for work etc, where they were exposed to AFL from a young age.

Secondly, they are tapped on the shoulder by a Brisbane or Gold Coast talent scout at a non AFL sporting event and asked if they would like to give AFL a go.

Or thirdly, their best mate at school or in the neighbourhood belongs to group one, and they get drawn in to the game by association.

I was at work on the weekend in the lift with a ~21 year old employee, and some how the conversation was drawn to the Lions game (I was probably heading to the only tv at work with game on, because I put it on earlier in the day), and first thing she said when I mentioned Brisbane Lions was, "oh, GAYFL ...".

QLD kids aren't looking up to our premiership era players, because 95% won't even have heard of them because they weren't born at the time, or were to young at the time, or were/are exposed to anything positive about the game.

It's so hard for people who grow up with the game, to imagine life where AFL is not part of the natural landscape. Best example I can give you is the Melbourne Storm.
Spot on. From WA and live in QLD. It is like an AFL tomb up here.

I go to the local sports club to watch the GF every year and there would be lucky to be 20 people watching it. GAYFL references aplenty when it comes up in conversation. I know 1 other AFL fan in town although a mate had a boss that was a Freo supporter (I tried to get a gig there).

If you don't live up here you probably underestimate just how much **** has to be pushed uphill to get the game going. I also lived in Sydney which is a lot more accepting than anywhere I have been in QLD.

He has to live with this decision for the rest of his life now, and believe me, we will be reminding him every time he shows up here.
Entitled fans you lot. A kid wants to play for the club he was brought up supporting rather than the one his dad played for and you all chuck a sook. Make sure to remind him every chance he gets, it will only remind him that he made the correct choice

Entitled fans you lot. A kid wants to play for the club he was brought up supporting rather than the one his dad played for and you all chuck a sook. Make sure to remind him every chance he gets, it will only remind him that he made the correct choice
The kid doesn't want to move away from home.

Thing is, even if Nick wasn't in Sydney, and grew up in Melbourne, he was no guarantee to join North. He could have opted for the open draft.

Great pity he didn't pick the lions , would have been a perfect fix to support hippy. But Carn't blame him staying at home. That's the way she goes

Most supporters have no problem with the concept of the academies, the privileged access to that talent pool is everyone’s problem.

Bring back zones then, Victorian clubs can keep all the Victorian talent pool.

Sydney and QLD are then welcome to monopolize half of the countries population.
Sydney made this offer when the academy started. They said give us nsw as a zone.

Will be like another talented kid who rejected North. Nathan Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the road to the draft, Hine rates him currently behind Lukosius. Thought that was pretty interesting, was watching his latest academy game. Think the Swans will have a very good one here.

From the road to the draft, Hine rates him currently behind Lukosius. Thought that was pretty interesting, was watching his latest academy game. Think the Swans will have a very good one here.
I didn't hear that. I heard the discussion of who was in the mix for pick 1, but didn't hear much discussion of this years draft crop. Guess I'll have to listen to it again.

Or Josh Kelly.
Or Isaac Heeney.

The Bucks reference was more to do with him picking the Pies over the Roos in the early 90's- he missed winning a premiership he so desperately wanted by making a poor decision.

The above 2 haven't won a flag yet and could end up like Bucks. At least the Dusty reference has merit - he has his flag and can't have any regrets. The jury is still out for the other 2.

I suppose you would view Martin as a kid considering your club hands out 9 year contracts to 27 year olds.
When Sydney signs a player until they're in their mid thirties, they're once in a generation players. When North does it, it's for Jarrad Waite.

It's a terrible day for football. Period.

I fully respect that you don’t think this is the correct rule of allowing players to choose their academy over Father/son but I don’t think any of us really care if your going through your menstrual cycle.

Try resting or maybe a hot water bottle. It might help.

Back