Analysis Nick Coffield

Remove this Banner Ad

I see no problem with Coff- just one of those players who will develop quietly and become a good player I expect.
That's the issue here. If we used pick 40+ on him then we would all be fine with him being a good player. However when you invest in a top 10 pick, you need them to become close to elite. Our drafting of top picks over the past 10 years has been quiet poor.

Wrong.

You are comparing players that at ALL play a harder position on the ground compared to a half back flank. If he can't find the ball 20+ times in that role then you never will.

Just because some players took longer to make it doesn't mean every single one will. All those players that you have mentioned showed more in year 1 and year 2 than Coffield has. That's a fact.

You can compare all you want players after 3 season etc but the fact remains is that he is struggling for a top 10 pick at the moment. What's also a fact is that he will struggle to break into our current line up. So far Clark is miles ahead than Coffield and they play the same position. Age is just an excuse that we use when a top pick isn't performing to required standards.
Oh come off it!

How many back flankers were averaging over 20 touches a game in their second year?

I can tell you Coff's averages are similar or better than Hurn's, Goddard's, Enright's, Bob Murphy's, Heath Shaw's and Docherty's at the same age.

If they couldn't average 20 touches in their 2nd year how did they manage to all become all australian players?

Last edited:
Lot of posters writing him off already. To slow.....not developing as expected etc etc

He was drafted in 2017.

I have confidence in him cementing a spot in the team and valued.

To early I reckon for some of the negative stuff goin round about him.

Interested in others thoughts
I thought he was ok on Thursday. Better than savage and long.

He had 6 years to cement a spot.

6 years

Coff has had two and people are writing him off.

25 on a wing in a intra club match and he is suddenly a worldbeater.
Lot of love.
Would liked to have kept him, but if you guys cant see Hill's value to the Saints, you aren't paying attention.
He may go well for Freo. I will wager Hill goes better for us.
I agree that Hill is going to be a lot better for us than Acres will be for them, and I am hugely in favour of the Hill trade. But its misleading to imply that they can be directly compared. Acres was a part of a huge host of picks to Fremantle in exchange for Hill. So it's really Acres plus x and y vs Hill.

Last edited:
Oh come off it!

How many back flankers were averaging over 20 touches a game in their second year?

I can tell you Coff's averages are similar or better than Hurn's, Goddard's, Enright's, Bob Murphy's, Heath Shaw's and Docherty's at the same age.

If they couldn't average 20 touches in their 2nd year how did they manage to all become all australian players?
Mate have a look over the last 10-15 years how many top 10 picks become half decent. For every Hurn, Goddard etc there are your Xavier Ellis, Oakley-Nicholls, Grant, Toumpas etc. 40-50% of top 10 picks become actual flops.

Hopefully Coffield steps up and becomes a star, but at the moment he has a lot do to to make the 22 let alone become a very good player.

Mate have a look over the last 10-15 years how many top 10 picks become half decent. For every Hurn, Goddard etc there are your Xavier Ellis, Oakley-Nicholls, Grant, Toumpas etc. 40-50% of top 10 picks become actual flops.

Hopefully Coffield steps up and becomes a star, but at the moment he has a lot do to to make the 22 let alone become a very good player.
But harsh on Xavier Ellis but please look at his Wikipedia site. Just the first part. Very funny.

True he does, but i think he's shown improvement over his 2 years, and we don't actually have a pressing need for him this year.
It was far more concerning before we got King, waiting for McCartin ( after having 4 seasons ) to show something, while Riewoldt retired.

Well none of that has anything to do with the point I was disputing which was

If he can't find the ball 20+ times in that role then you never will.
If you want to compare stats then Coffield is actually tracking quite well. I had a quick look through a heap of past AA players named on the back flank and couldn't find one averaging 20 disposals at Nick's age in fact most were very similar to him.

And I'm not really sure what the other point you are trying to make is. Some high draftees make it, some don't. Some come on quick and drop away, some are slow burns and end up having great careers.

All I know is that the start of Coffield's career is comparable to quite a few players in his position that have went on to have great careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Provided we understand that what Richo wanted for Acres is the same as what Ratts wants for Battle
Only if Richo had played Arces as mid and not forward - back and ruck

His game on Thursday was fine. Longterm he doesn’t strike me as a player that will ever become a gun. Looks an okay type who could become a 150 + game solid citizen if he sets his mind to it. Across his career I’m expecting output similar to Shane Savage. You don’t need 22 guns to win a flag. You also need some foot soldiers. He’s a keeper.

I agree that Hill is going to be a lot better for us than Acres will be for them, and I am hugely in favour of the Hill trade. But its misleading to imply that they can be directly compared. Acres was a part of a huge host of picks to Fremantle in exchange for Hill. So it's really Acres plus x and y vs Hill.
We were talking about Acres. Someone went off that he played on the wing and was in their words 'tearing it up'.

Hill plays on the wing for us so fair comparison. The picks haven't played a senior game.

His game on Thursday was fine. Longterm he doesn’t strike me as a player that will ever become a gun. Looks an okay type who could become a 150 + game solid citizen if he sets his mind to it. Across his career I’m expecting output similar to Shane Savage. You don’t need 22 guns to win a flag. You also need some foot soldiers. He’s a keeper.
If Coff turns out a solid foot soldier and Clarke an A grader that’s a pretty good return for picks 7 & 8.
Too many people expect all top 20 players to be superstars. It’s ain’t always gonna happen

If Coff turns out a solid foot soldier and Clarke an A grader that’s a pretty good return for picks 7 & 8.
Too many people expect all top 20 players to be superstars. It’s ain’t always gonna happen

Agree. Some become busts, some guns & others average players. If he becomes best 22 in a finals team then it’s a massive win.

I hope he becomes a bit more than a foot soldier for us. I think I'm being realistic enough with my expectations (along with the raps on the kid in his draft year) to hold out for an above average player. I'd settle for a guy with Geary's defensive accountability, Wilkie's composure, and a bit of Clarks skill.
Not a big ask...just what I think an an above average St.Kilda player should look like 😉

I hope Coffield lives up to the potential his high draft position suggests.

Equally I hope we do not give him 6 years of below average performance to "make it". We waited way too long to pull the trigger on Acres - at 3 years on the list, inside top 20 draft pick he still had "potential". After 6 years he was a known entity and valued at steak knives.

Coffield needs to target this year as make or break.
Personally i disagree with this. I think we gave him the right amount of time on our list and pulled the trigger at an appropriate time.

It took BJ Goddard 4 years to come good and i know he isn't the most popular player on our list but it took 5 years for Seb Ross to break out.

I don't believe Acres had much more value if any more at all had we traded him at three years as compared to 6. However i think there would have been a hell of a lot more risk for us losing out on a great player if we traded him after 3 years instead of 6.

We were talking about Acres. Someone went off that he played on the wing and was in their words 'tearing it up'.

Hill plays on the wing for us so fair comparison. The picks haven't played a senior game.
The picks haven't played, but they will eventually. So if we're evaluating the trade then the two players can't be directly compared, as they weren't valued the same. The expectations for Hill are naturally a lot higher than those for Acres.

I hope he becomes a bit more than a foot soldier for us. I think I'm being realistic enough with my expectations (along with the raps on the kid in his draft year) to hold out for an above average player. I'd settle for a guy with Geary's defensive accountability, Wilkie's composure, and a bit of Clarks skill.
Not a big ask...just what I think an an above average St.Kilda player should look like 😉
Great glad you’re setting the bar low to start 😉

The hit rate for high picks is better than it used to be.

At the end of the day Coff still looks like he can be above average and Clark looks a star in the making, so on the whole it's still a significant win for the club.
Personally l think he shows the telltale signs of being very young and inexperienced as you'd expect from a bottom ager with 18 games.
The problem is people are gauging him against Clark who is a completely different beast that was top 10 all through u16's and 17's, where as Coff was a late bolter.
I'm expecting him to be more of a Sam Fisher level but with his head screwed on better, rather than the next BJ.

The key to Coff being a gun or a foot-soldier (I don’t believe he’ll be a bust) is whether or not we see his undoubted pace over short distance at AFL level.

He tested elite at his draft combine (top 5) for 20 meter sprint. When you look at his pre-draft videos, his pace off the mark is a stand-out.

So why aren’t we seeing it yet? Well, he’s still learning the game at the elite level and he’s building his tank. Once he builds his tank and fully adjusts to the pace of AFL level and the tactics and pressure, he won’t be so gassed, will read the game more quickly and instinctively, and will learn how and when to use his undoubted pace off the mark more.

Once the above happens, he’ll really come into his own because he’ll be able to get into space and use his great kicking and decision-making.

I‘ve got really high hopes for him but players with his attributes can take a little time. I wouldn’t discount him becoming the better player out of him and Hunter just yet. I think they’ll both end up rippers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back