Discussion Nick Walsh, Head of High Performance and Conditioning quits

Remove this Banner Ad

On a serious not I know when Brad Scott got there he told everyone don't worry about fitness get the balls out straight away lets work skills fitness will come
I'm not surprised, I've thought he's a very average coach all the way back to his days at North. Essendon are primed to finish 9th-12th for years I reckon.

102 wins, 101 losses in 10 years at North.

Directing what towards Misson? That Melbourne had injury issues when he was with them and so I'm concerned at the injury issues we have now, with Misson being in charge? Or that this new guy that came from Essendon was working alongside him during his time at Melbourne and how their recent history could concern people?

What's wrong with any of that?

Why would you doubt Melbourne supporters would think he was a success? He was with Melbourne from September 2011 to October 2019. I don't think they were very good during that time (collective responsibility, not just him to be fair). Their supporters have commented on the state of the injury list during his time and it's a similar description as to what is happening now.

Of course everyone is speculating, that's the nature of a discussion forum but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong or harsh with anything I've said.

I want the very best people at St.Kilda regardless of what position they are in but I would think it's only logical to look at what happened to Melbourne when they were there and then have some concern over it happening at our club - given the injury list we are dealing with under Misson's watch. Of course there's others involved and responsible but he oversees it all so ultimately he is to blame - similar to the coaching issues, sure our gameplan was a collective responsibility from all coaches but Ratten is the one that is ultimately to blame.

I'm not too invested in this to make it a hill to die on but it's just like "Oh, that's interesting. I wonder if what happened at Melbourne happens here. Lets hope it works out". That's the extent of my concern really. Perhaps it looks worse over posts.
Nothing particularly wrong with anything you've said obviously, I just have a bit more of a positive spin on him I guess. As you say maybe I've interpreted what you've said as more negative then its actually been, probably to do with me engaging you on it has made you back your opinion up over a lot of posts.

If Melbourne had a bad fitness and injuries throughout his entire time at the club I find it surprising he was there for so long, although you are right they weren't very good during that period.

Completely agree that its not worth getting too worked up over, which I guess has been my point the entire time, that Walsh leaving is just not a big deal. We'll see how it plays out, hopefully his time at the Saints now is more in line with the the first half of his career where he didn't do much wrong.

Nothing particularly wrong with anything you've said obviously, I just have a bit more of a positive spin on him I guess. As you say maybe I've interpreted what you've said as more negative then its actually been, probably to do with me engaging you on it has made you back your opinion up over a lot of posts.

If Melbourne had a bad fitness and injuries throughout his entire time at the club I find it surprising he was there for so long, although you are right they weren't very good during that period.

Completely agree that its not worth getting too worked up over, which I guess has been my point the entire time, that Walsh leaving is just not a big deal. We'll see how it plays out, hopefully his time at the Saints now is more in line with the the first half of his career where he didn't do much wrong.
That's fair enough. I think I agree with you that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I think it's okay to at least have a look at it.

Ultimately I worry about the harmony within certain areas of the club given how bloody well we've started. Seems like we have it all lined up well now and after 11 years of shithousery I desperately don't want people at the club creating issues and potentially stuffing it up.

I'm not surprised, I've thought he's a very average coach all the way back to his days at North. Essendon are primed to finish 9th-12th for years I reckon.

102 wins, 101 losses in 10 years at North.
Similar % to Ratts

Similar % to Ratts
I guess my bias clouded my judgement with Ratts. Got Ratts wrong and got Scott right.

I'm going at 50% like those two muppets - coincidentally making me average in the process as well.

What a day of revelations it's been.

That's fair enough. I think I agree with you that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I think it's okay to at least have a look at it.

Ultimately I worry about the harmony within certain areas of the club given how bloody well we've started. Seems like we have it all lined up well now and after 11 years of shithousery I desperately don't want people at the club creating issues and potentially stuffing it up.
Yep, couldn't agree more. Lyon does seem hell bent in creating a positive environment this time around though (if you go of what he says in the media at least and how much he praises the assistant coaches in particular) so fingers crossed.

Similar % to Ratts

I reckon he was okay at North. He had a pretty ordinary side playing off deep into finals. He's definitely got Essendon working better with no real additions.

I don't think so, but someone else might know more

Ask and ye shall receive!

2022 Annual Report
1683182854386.png
1683182879971.png

So he finished up last year capping at 16 years 7 months I think it is. In any event, probably the reason we moved back to Moorabbin and demoed the place to get rid of his desk with the gum stuck under it and crayon marks everywhere.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Lyon does seem hell bent in creating a positive environment this time around though (if you go of what he says in the media at least and how much he praises the assistant coaches in particular) so fingers crossed.
Yep I'm pretty confident of that. RTB speaks so bloody well to the media - half the time those pressers are actually a brilliantly veiled message to the players as well. Hopefully all the changes work out in our favour.

Yep I'm pretty confident of that. RTB speaks so bloody well to the media - half the time those pressers are actually a brilliantly veiled message to the players as well. Hopefully all the changes work out in our favour.
Yeah, loved what he said about King this week, basically challenged him to reach his potential and said we need him to have the consistent impact of Tom Hawkins, was definitely a message to him.

He's learned a bit.

I guess my bias clouded my judgement with Ratts. Got Ratts wrong and got Scott right.

I'm going at 50% like those two muppets - coincidentally making me average in the process as well.

What a day of revelations it's been.
You know, if you had no revelations yesterday then over the two days you are going at the same win/loss rate as Ratts and Scott.
But in a revelation sense.

You know, if you had no revelations yesterday then over the two days you are going at the same win/loss rate as Ratts and Scott.
But in a revelation sense.
Can always count on a trusted bean counter to crunch the numbers

Love your work as always my Safari troubled friend xox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a bit like a politician in that he gives answer he wants to give regardless of the question that's been asked. It's quite brilliant really.

Yep, like the very early Peris mentions and Emergency after a quiet first week by the smalls.

Yep, like the very early Peris mentions and Emergency after a quiet first week by the smalls.
Brilliant in hindsight. I don't notice the subliminal shots until afterwards but the players would be sweating bullets.

Bean counters are the statisticians of the financial sector. The champions of data, the rulers of ledgers, they bring the special to the journal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back