Discussion Nick Walsh, Head of High Performance and Conditioning quits

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN Article:

St Kilda Football Club has been rocked by the sudden resignation of fitness boss Nick Walsh, effective immediately.

Walsh, whose official title was Head of High Performance and Conditioning, quit on Monday. It’s unclear who will take on his responsibilities this week.

Players, many of whom liked and respected Walsh, were informed on Monday night via group message.

The Irish-born fitness guru replaced Matt Hornsby in September 2021 following the departure of Matt Hornsby.

Walsh had been an assistant coach at GWS and spent three years on Melbourne’s rookie list without playing a senior game.

More recently, Walsh led the AFL Coaches’ Association’s ‘Tackle your Feelings’ program.

His exit continues the recent exodus of off-field staff at Moorabbin. Football boss Geoff Walsh quit for family reasons in late January.

The man who replaced him, David Rath, resigned to join Rugby Australia in mid-March.

Dave Misson stepped up to lead the football department alongside Ross Lyon, with whom Walsh had recently often not seen eye to eye.

St Kilda has enjoyed an outstanding start to the season despite a lengthy injury list. The Saints were 5-1 before a close loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night.

Walsh declined to comment when contacted by SEN.com.au on Monday night.

Would seem strange to push him out mid season given how important his role is to the day to day of the players.

My first thought was Misson has been stepping on his toes.

Sounds like Lyon and Walsh weren't aligned in their views. Pretty sure Misson would have had a good view on whether Walsh was performing or not. Lyon and Misson are close. Can join the dots.

Walsh was one of the few survivors and now he's gone. Timing unfortunate.

At least Misson is there to provide the required expertise (along with everything else he's doing).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Lyon and Walsh weren't aligned in their views. Pretty sure Misson would have had a good view on whether Walsh was performing or not. Lyon and Misson are close. Can join the dots.

Walsh was one of the few survivors and now he's gone. Timing unfortunate.

At least Misson is there to provide the required expertise (along with everything else he's doing).

Hard to know, perhaps Walsh thought Misson was pushing too hard, perhaps they just had different points of view on best practice. I imagine Walsh is more modern sports science, Misson is more push them until they break and replace the broken ones. Really hard to know with out some inside knowledge.

Hard to know, perhaps Walsh thought Misson was pushing too hard, perhaps they just had different points of view on best practice. I imagine Walsh is more modern sports science, Misson is more push them until they break and replace the broken ones. Really hard to know with out some inside knowledge.
Who knows , but it will be interesting who he is working for in a couple months.
A lot of football clubs , soccer and Rugby are always looking for quality fitness personnel - even a 2nd tier English soccer team would treble his wage.

Hopefully not.
Would seem strange when Ross wanted to utilise our running ability and our fitness is a result of Walsh. Would be counter-productive.
Something has gone sour if it's an immediate resignation, and Misson is the guy overseeing Walsh so he's the most obvious influence.

Something has gone sour if it's an immediate resignation, and Misson is the guy overseeing Walsh so he's the most obvious influence.

Yeah given that Misson comes from this role originally, you’d think some friction there. Quite possibly Misson micro managing him or something. Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

You didn’t like Ross and co either, let’s see what happens 😎
Yeah because the questions I had couldn't be answered until we played but at this point you'd have to have a Perth level of education to keep misinterpreting my comments 😎

We're arguably the fittest side in the competition, I've seen enough of Walsh to suspect he knows what he's doing. Hopefully Misson isn't creating a s**t environment for those that work under him, not too sure it's a coincidence that Walsh packs up and goes only a month into reporting to Misson.

We'll get our answer this week anyway. If the club is as open about the departure as they were about Geoff Walsh then we'll know it wasn't our doing, but if they're dead silent then it'll make it pretty obvious that something went on.

Slightly concerned about something like this happening mid season 🤔 I was in one of the lounges/boxes at the MCG on Saturday and saw Walsh floating around happy and chatty! Could this de rail a few things or no big deal? Hmm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back