Discussion Nick Walsh, Head of High Performance and Conditioning quits

Remove this Banner Ad

From the link above...

AFL Media’s Cal Twomey is reporting that Walsh has been replaced by Alex Sakadjian who joins from Essendon where he was strength and conditioning/rehab coach.

Sakadjian previously worked with St Kilda’s current general manager of football Dave Misson at Melbourne.

From the link above...

AFL Media’s Cal Twomey is reporting that Walsh has been replaced by Alex Sakadjian who joins from Essendon where he was strength and conditioning/rehab coach.

Sakadjian previously worked with St Kilda’s current general manager of football Dave Misson at Melbourne.

Since getting RTB without a process, seems like we've dumped the process for every role! Not a bad thing tbh.

Lets see how this goes. Sakadjian was part of that group under Misson at Melbourne that went through a really poor injury/soft tissue period.

Happy for the dees to have been their practice run.
In theory they now know what the limits are before guys start breaking down en masse?

Plus, you can't break something that's already broken...our injury management is already a dumpster fire.

The only way is up!

Lets see how this goes. Sakadjian was part of that group under Misson at Melbourne that went through a really poor injury/soft tissue period.

Was also at Melbourne through 2021 when they won the flag and had Darren Burgess in charge of them with everyone remarking on their fitness.
Hopefully he brings more of that era with him

Was he at Melbourne when they won the flag ?

Happy for the dees to have been their practice run.
In theory they now know what the limits are before guys start breaking down en masse?

Plus, you can't break something that's already broken...our injury management is already a dumpster fire.

The only way is up!
Was also at Melbourne through 2021 when they won the flag and had Darren Burgess in charge of them with everyone remarking on their fitness.
Hopefully he brings more of that era with him
Was he at Melbourne when they won the flag ?
Sounds like he was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, they weren't there when Melbourne won the flag. I have my dates wrong, I believe it was 2019 when they had the injury crisis. Both Misson and this bloke left end of 2019 after looking at their history more closely.

Hopefully they don't * us up as bad as they did with the Dees

No, they weren't there when Melbourne won the flag. I have my dates wrong, I believe it was 2019 when they had the injury crisis. Both Misson and this bloke left end of 2019 after looking at their history more closely.

Misson has been High Performance Manager for Cricket Australia, Sydney Swans, StKilda (09 period), Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Roosters. He was at Melbourne for 8 years and has over 20 years experience. One bad year at Melbourne and the way you talk about him you'd think his entire career has been a disaster. I think he's probably earned the benefit of the doubt over a guy with 2 years experience.

AFL article mentioned working at Melbourne and that he moved to the Bombers at the end of 2021 so I assumed that meant he was at Melbourne until then, however maybe he went somewhere in between?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Misson has been High Performance Manager for Cricket Australia, Sydney Swans, StKilda (09 period), Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Roosters. He was at Melbourne for 8 years and has over 20 years experience. One bad year at Melbourne and the way you talk about him you'd think his entire career has been a disaster. I think he's probably earned the benefit of the doubt over a guy with 2 years experience.
Think it's normal to have a layer of pessimism about anything St.Kilda. Entire career a disaster? No I just think he was a failure at his last AFL job and so I wonder what he does this time around. Nobody needs to flip out because someone may question the club.

Not some huge criticism to say that the two blokes who were known to have been running a program that created lots of soft tissue injuries are now back together again and wonder how that may play out.

AFL article mentioned working at Melbourne and that he moved to the Bombers at the end of 2021 so I assumed that meant he was at Melbourne until then, however maybe he went somewhere in between?
LinkedIn has them both finishing up end of 2019 and moving into different roles.

TBH no one will know if this guy is any good or not... theres no info out there on these guys.

but what is known is the simon lethlean rebuild of the footy dept was a failure. it didnt cut it. so we shouldnt be surprised if any appointments made in that time are moving on.

just how things go.

Think it's normal to have a layer of pessimism about anything St.Kilda. Entire career a disaster? No I just think he was a failure at his last AFL job and so I wonder what he does this time around. Nobody needs to flip out because someone may question the club.

Not some huge criticism to say that the two blokes who were known to have been running a program that created lots of soft tissue injuries are now back together again and wonder how that may play out.
Fair enough and lord knows I understand having pessimism about StKilda. I just found it strange that you seem to be directing it all towards Misson, it seemed like Ross had won you around over the first few rounds of the year. Its not Misson's fault that Geoff Walsh left under the circumstances he did and the opportunity arose for him. The other Walsh leaving is very normal in these sorts of circumstances.

He was at Melbourne for 8 years, I very much doubt Melbourne would describe his tenure as a failure.

Anyways well see how it plays out, hopefully for all our sake its a success.

We’re thrilled to welcome Alex to St Kilda,” Acting General Manager of Football David Misson said.

“Alex comes to us with a diverse background having worked across multiple codes, but his professionalism has been a constant and is an aspect of his we’re excited to have at the Saints.

“We are confident Alex will bring a high level of expertise and strategic elements to our Performance, Strength and Conditioning, Sport Science and Rehabilitation programs and believe his impact will greatly our football program.”

Sakadjian will commence his role on 1 June.

Fair enough and lord knows I understand having pessimism about StKilda. I just found it strange that you seem to be directing it all towards Misson, it seemed like Ross had won you around over the first few rounds of the year. Its not Misson's fault that Geoff Walsh left under the circumstances he did and the opportunity arose for him. The other Walsh leaving is very normal in these sorts of circumstances.

He was at Melbourne for 8 years, I very much doubt Melbourne would describe his tenure as a failure.

Anyways well see how it plays out, hopefully for all our sake its a success.
Directing what towards Misson? That Melbourne had injury issues when he was with them and so I'm concerned at the injury issues we have now, with Misson being in charge? Or that this new guy that came from Essendon was working alongside him during his time at Melbourne and how their recent history could concern people?

What's wrong with any of that?

Why would you doubt Melbourne supporters would think he was a success? He was with Melbourne from September 2011 to October 2019. I don't think they were very good during that time (collective responsibility, not just him to be fair). Their supporters have commented on the state of the injury list during his time and it's a similar description as to what is happening now.

Of course everyone is speculating, that's the nature of a discussion forum but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong or harsh with anything I've said.

I want the very best people at St.Kilda regardless of what position they are in but I would think it's only logical to look at what happened to Melbourne when they were there and then have some concern over it happening at our club - given the injury list we are dealing with under Misson's watch. Of course there's others involved and responsible but he oversees it all so ultimately he is to blame - similar to the coaching issues, sure our gameplan was a collective responsibility from all coaches but Ratten is the one that is ultimately to blame.

I'm not too invested in this to make it a hill to die on but it's just like "Oh, that's interesting. I wonder if what happened at Melbourne happens here. Lets hope it works out". That's the extent of my concern really. Perhaps it looks worse over posts.

George thoughts on the new Head of high Performance and Conditioning guy we got from the bombers and how do you think he will go working with Misson ?

George thoughts on the new Head of high Performance and Conditioning guy we got from the bombers and how do you think he will go working with Misson ?

I've been asking Essendon supporters over on their board about what they think of him and they think that their fitness is a joke and track record of injuries is shithouse (thinking back now they have faded late quite often this year, v Pies the most recent example). They are happy he has left and would hope the rest of the crew also are replaced.

He was at Melbourne from October 2010 to October 2019 - you'd have to dive deeper to check their injuries during that time but on the whole they were a poor side - collective I know but what else can we go on. He worked under Misson from September 2011 to October 2019.

He then took two years away from the AFL before going to Essendon in October 2021 and has been there since.

Seems like (actually doesn't seem like, he definitely has) more experience and deeper education than Walsh when it comes to high performance however the track record isn't too flash. And that's not trying to compare the two, but just what I've found on Sakadjian's history.

Like everyone else I hope it's a success but can only go by what is in front of us.

I've been asking Essendon supporters over on their board about what they think of him and they think that their fitness is a joke and track record of injuries is shithouse (thinking back now they have faded late quite often this year, v Pies the most recent example). They are happy he has left and would hope the rest of the crew also are replaced.

He was at Melbourne from October 2010 to October 2019 - you'd have to dive deeper to check their injuries during that time but on the whole they were a poor side - collective I know but what else can we go on. He worked under Misson from September 2011 to October 2019.

He then took two years away from the AFL before going to Essendon in October 2021 and has been there since.

Seems like (actually doesn't seem like, he definitely has) more experience and deeper education than Walsh when it comes to high performance however the track record isn't too flash. And that's not trying to compare the two, but just what I've found on Sakadjian's history.

Like everyone else I hope it's a success but can only go by what is in front of us.
Not convinced ? you sound a bit sceptical

I've been asking Essendon supporters over on their board about what they think of him and they think that their fitness is a joke
On a serious note I know when Brad Scott got there he told everyone don't worry about fitness get the balls out straight away lets work skills fitness will come

Remove this Banner Ad

Back