Discussion Nick Walsh, Head of High Performance and Conditioning quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but it's not necessarily the case that he left with no notice. Maybe he came to them four weeks ago and said "I'm done thanks guys" and they asked him not to tell anyone until he'd worked his notice period. Or maybe he came to them on Monday and said "I'm done thanks guys" and they said "that's fine, you can go today and we'll pay out your notice period, we'll make do". Or some combination of the two. Lots of possibilities.
I'm going by the timeline the club gave us. They said he came to them last week.

Given Melbourne supporters preseason mentioned a similar injury issue occurring at their club when Misson was there, maybe Walsh disagreed with Missions approach or overall philosophy. Or with the changes Misson made to his program when he came in.

Who knows, it is all speculation at this point. But given someone else is in charge of rehab, Walsh leaving still leaves us with an issue in our rehab department.
It could be either way. I would guess that after Hayes and Coff re-injured last week either Ross and Misson would have put the blow torch on Walsh or Walsh felt that Misson or Ross was to blame and had a blow out with him over it

He is gone wont even remember his name in 3 weeks
If we weren't happy with him get rid of him ASAP

"We're really close (to finding a replacement for Walsh), we're working with another AFL club. We're building out something in the longer term. This just expedited things, we've identified the person, we've had meetings previously and we're working amicably with another AFL club. It's really close to coming to fruition... that'll happy really quickly.

sounds really close to being announced

Ben King announced GM of football on $1mil per year.

Will also join St Kilda rookie list to provide depth to the playing list.

So Dave Misson is doing his own job PLUS the job of two Walshes? Hope he doesn't burn out

If this is 100% accurate to his interview.

Then they moved on Walsh.

In short. Ross, “knows what he needs”

In other words RTB didn’t really have faith in Walsh simple as that - Walsh moved on & hand picked replacement acceptable to RTB to be announced soon.

Poaching from another club mid-season? Wouldn't think that happens too often.
Unless it's a case of someone being promoted to the role, such as when assistants are picked up from other clubs to go into the head coaching gig - clubs are generally accommodating for that (such as when we let Bevo go to the dogs).

In other words RTB didn’t really have faith in Walsh simple as that - Walsh moved on & hand picked replacement acceptable to RTB to be announced soon.
Yes.

But it’s the actions that lead to not having faith.

So ultimately the boss wants someone that he knows will deliver a certain standard that he isn’t currently getting.

Each individual can make their mind up as to how you get to that point.

I’ve shared enough and I really think it’s a tad over blown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything like corporate, when new head honcho comes in you generally have meetings, people get shoved into other positions and within the first say 8-12 months you just bleed people.

Example on my end being teams of 10 reduced by 30%, incoming group by around double that, and half of the remaining were then shoved into other departments entirely based on previous instances. Like I am literally working in 3 departments at present just based on lack of people.

So Lyon coming in with a guy that does your thing and comes rated in new boss' eye, you are getting shoved to side and up to you to find comfort or leave, Walsh chose to leave going by statements. It's overblown unless he's pissy or we shoved him out the door with a boot, but in all liklihood it's just a case of new guy in, thanks for being here sort of break and amicable instances.

Based off the press conference - sounds like Ross came in, changed the set up of the high performance while also bringing in Misson and that changed what Walsh's role was. Walsh wasn't happy with what his role became so left.

Last edited:

Based off the press conference - sounds like Ross came in, changed the set up of the high performance while also bringing in Misson and that changed what Walsh's role was. Walsh wasn't happy with what his role became so left.
So it wasn't anything to do with the reoccurence of soft tissue injuries.

The presser gave a very straight forward, believable account of what took place. Nice to see us handling this kind of thing transparently and professionally (for a change).

So Dave Misson is doing his own job PLUS the job of two Walshes? Hope he doesn't burn out
SA legend lined up to replace Walsh I hear ;)

329636-darren-jarman.jpg

So it wasn't anything to do with the reoccurence of soft tissue injuries.
As usual he said a lot without saying much

The bit about Billing’s only training 2 days a week the last couple of years WTF training 3 days now and really fit

The replacement has really good qualifications

Hayes done his hamstring Saturday

Exactly Walsh found out they were going to replace him or put someone above him and he walked. RTB said in a nice way that he wanted Walsh replaced, because he didnt fit the model he had introduced and didnt have trust in him. He and Misson wanted their own personally selected qualified individual and sounds like he will be at the club very shortly. I wonder which club we have poached him from - Collingwood or Geelong would be my guess?

RTB is such an impressive individual, he has the media eating out of his hands these days. I like the fact that he suggested Billings, Caminiti, King plus Sharman & Peris in the VFL are putting pressure of selection.

Last edited:
Just realised I got myself confused. The article bounces back and forth between Nick Walsh and Geoff Walsh, talking about both positions.
But it's talking about the High Performance role right - replacing Nick, not Geoff as Head of Football - right?

It sounds like a similar situation to Rath where he realised that his role was going to change to the point where it wasn't worth staying on so he quit.

I think they call that quiet firing these days where a person basically gets pushed into quitting their job.

As usual he said a lot without saying much

The bit about Billing’s only training 2 days a week the last couple of years WTF training 3 days now and really fit

The replacement has really good qualifications

Hayes done his hamstring Saturday
Have you heard who the replacement is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back