Switch Nintendo Switch News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

A LOT of new leaks have surfaced in the last couple of days. We now know for a fact how much RAM the console will have (12GB) and how much storage it’ll have (256GB). The source for this info is incredibly likely to be true.

Matched with what we already know about the NVIDIA chip being used, estimates put it at above PS4 level in handheld mode, and PS4 Pro and above in docked mode.
That’s incredible for a handheld

So as usual they'll be a generation behind. Which means gimped multiplat games if devs even bother and the same old boring Nintendo IP regurgitated over and over again.
I'm not sure what you want from a handheld. Its going to be the best handheld available upon its release and cost $250 AUD less then a PS5.

The PS4 to Pro comment is a general raw graphical power estimate. It has more modern architecture, significantly better ram, not to mention DLSS.

Last edited:

I just wish they would provide a more powerful option without handheld capablities because I do in fact love Nintendo first party games. I'm fine streaming games to a handheld as an alternative.

To not pay a premium for the privilege of being able to plug it into my TV and play it at a frame rate and resolution that's almost a decade behind.

Get a pc then.

Funny thing is most PC players still play at 1080p.
Think my post has been misinterpreted. The docking/home console function of the Switch undoubtedly boosts the price, but serves no real purpose for me.

If the justification for the Switch's power is that it's a handheld... I'd prefer to pay handheld prices, not hybrid prices.

Think my post has been misinterpreted. The docking/home console function of the Switch undoubtedly boosts the price, but serves no real purpose for me.

If the justification for the Switch's power is that it's a handheld... I'd prefer to pay handheld prices, not hybrid prices.
Well they cater to your niche with the Switch Lite, and the inevitable Switch 2 lite. so what are you talking about.

Well they cater to your niche with the Switch Lite, and the inevitable Switch 2 lite. so what are you talking about.
TBH, I forgot the Lite existed because I bought a Switch prior to its release and am obviously not going to buy two. So that's my bad, apologies. Hopefully it's an option at launch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the need for a higher end Switch but a current gen level handheld is going to price out almost everyone.

A non handheld pro version on top of a handheld seems like spreading and investing more resources to invest when Sony and MS have a majority of the market.

I do get the need for a Lite version for people like Dan who don't need to dock it. That shouldn't be an issue to release at launch.

Is the reason for a pro version/multi-platform capable machine to avoid buying multiple consoles? That's the only reason I can think of, because first party titles haven't been resource hungry.

Can't see devs rushing to port games either with a souped up machine unless Nintendo became a pure next gen console which will never happen (nor should it with the portability and motion control catalogue)

Nintendo needs to focus on more A+ first party titles, not hardware.

Zelda and Mario games have been great but ultimately extensions on to what they have. They need more than just games like Splatoon to compliment what they have in-between Zelda/Mario which is too few in-between.

I get the need for a higher end Switch but a current gen level handheld is going to price out almost everyone.

supposedly this year. It'll be close to now-gen specs, supposedly. I've read 145fps(this can't be true, but they are say8ing it). I think they feel pressure to get close to the Steam-Deck as well. Looking forward to the specs leak, that's for sure. I also read it won't be OLED on the 1st edition, which would be a shame but it's part of the cost of manufacturing they are utilising.

Is the reason for a pro version/multi-platform capable machine to avoid buying multiple consoles? That's the only reason I can think of, because first party titles haven't been resource hungry.

No, the reason is so excellent first party titles like Zelda can run at a modern resolution and modern framerate.

The first party titles generally not being resource intensive is because the devs are working within the parameters they have. I just want them to be able to flex their prowess.

Nintendo is hell bent on being anti-consumer, the least they can do is provide options.

Also that Paper Mario BS is based of people counting the frames of a ******* YouTube video. And it’s not like it’s the Switches hardware that would be prevent it from hitting 60, Metroid Prime runs at 60.

30fps confirmed and 900p. Luckily its a great game and a simple turn based RPG, but still showing the devs are being restricted by the available hardware.

30fps confirmed and 900p. Luckily its a great game and a simple turn based RPG, but still showing the devs are being restricted by the available hardware.
Yeah I saw that, though my comment about how they “estimated” the frame rate was right, that was just a dumb method to find out a number that’s just turned out to be true.

They found evidence of handling 4K in the files so probably gets a bump on switch 2 (which comes out within 10 months).

Yeah I saw that, though my comment about how they “estimated” the frame rate was right, that was just a dumb method to find out a number that’s just turned out to be true.

They found evidence of handling 4K in the files so probably gets a bump on switch 2 (which comes out within 10 months).

To be fair, it is not exactly difficult to identify 30 vs 60 by sight...

Very interested to see how backwards compatibility works with the new console, and the kind of support it has for enhanced versions of Switch games.

Honestly what do people expect from a handheld?
Precisely.

The switch fills the on-the-go gap in the market that consoles or the master race cannot.

Resolution doesn't need to be too high with such a small screen. It's far less noticeable than on a TV.

Honestly what do people expect from a handheld?

SSD loading times
Cook a pizza

Jk

It's always been a nifty unit but compromises are made. I love playing Rocket League hand held....but it's still a different experience to playing on pc or the other consoles (slower frame rate requires different muscle memory timings).

Precisely.

The switch fills the on-the-go gap in the market that consoles or the master race cannot.

Resolution doesn't need to be too high with such a small screen. It's far less noticeable than on a TV.

And you'll find most people would be fine with this, if Nintendo wasn't so protective with their first party titles. If your platform is quite literally the only way to play the game, it is disappointing if it is lagging behind it's modern compatriots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back