Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the movie? I have a cousin who was a receptionist on Doc Martin, my closest claim to fame :)
It was today's Lifetime movie -Outlaw Prophet: Warren Jeffs. My brother was also on America's Most Wanted! LOL No, not as a crook, but as a cop.

I do like this new two day test concept. Get a bowler friendly wicket (although most people got out to straight balls from spinners). Get a big crowd in knowing it’s only going to be for two days....
India to play NZ for the WTC.

I do like this new two day test concept. Get a bowler friendly wicket (although most people got out to straight balls from spinners). Get a big crowd in knowing it’s only going to be for two days....
India to play NZ for the WTC.
Dust bowl in India, yet Poms name Broad, Anderson and Archer lmao. Contrast that to India who played three spinners.

Dust bowl in India, yet Poms name Broad, Anderson and Archer lmao. Contrast that to India who played three spinners.

England like to lose, it’s their thing.... they lose the Ashes all the time, they lose the World Cup too, United States and even India. All major losses.

when they actually win something they get knighted.

Last edited:
England like to lose, it’s their thing.... they lose the Ashes all the time, they lose the World Cup too, United States and even India. All major losses.

when they actually win something they get knighted.

Used to love cricket as a kid. Every summer I watched every game. Now I cannot get into it and when I try I fall asleep.

And I don’t get me started on T20. Absolute shite.

Used to love cricket as a kid. Every summer I watched every game. Now I cannot get into it and when I try I fall asleep.

And I don’t get me started on T20. Absolute sh*te.
Used to love it when they had the one day games with Warnie and Lee , Bevan etc but lost interest after that

Used to love it when they had the one day games with Warnie and Lee , Bevan etc but lost interest after that

It just seems to be on all the time now and the Aussie team seem like a serious case of d!ckheads.

This Nathan Lyon “Gary” and “goat” cr@p just makes me want to be sick.

T20 is the cricket equivalent of AFLX

I think that I may be dying. Last week I began to watch YouTube videos about contemporary Christian music, something I've never listened to before and today I have been watching YouTube videos about Catholic guitar masses from the 1960s. Some of those songs I had not heard since I was a teenager. What is wrong with me? Am I about to meet my Maker? Please omit flowers. :praying: ;)

I think that I may be dying. Last week I began to watch YouTube videos about contemporary Christian music, something I've never listened to before and today I have been watching YouTube videos about Catholic guitar masses from the 1960s. Some of those songs I had not heard since I was a teenager. What is wrong with me? Am I about to meet my Maker? Please omit flowers. :praying: ;)

Hang in there, its less than a month till football starts again

May the good Lord watch over you

1614426372396.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christian Porter's Wikipedia page being edited today to remove all reference to his time on the Hale debate team, who coincidentally were in Sydney at the time of the alleged rape by a current cabinet member.

Hale have also removed all reference to Porter being part of their debate team.

Innocent until proven guilty, but this does not seem like the actions an innocent person would take. Porter demanded immediate investigation when Dyson Heydon was accused of sexual harrassment, so it's odd that he's been so quiet over these rape accusations. Surely he'd want justice for the victim?

Christian Porter's Wikipedia page being edited today to remove all reference to his time on the Hale debate team, who coincidentally were in Sydney at the time of the alleged rape by a current cabinet member.

Innocent until proven guilty, but this does not seem like the actions an innocent person would take. Porter demanded immediate investigation when Dyson Heydon was accused of sexual harrassment, so it's odd that he's been so quiet over these rape accusations. Surely he'd want justice for the victim?

Matches up with other info. Cheers.

I hope someone changes it back again and records the changes as being done on the date it was.

Last edited:

While I'm all for victims pursuing legal recourse, I can't help but be bothered by the fact rape allegations seem to be somewhat weaponised by parties across the aisle. Shorten in lead up to recent fed election, Brittany Higgins and now this... I understand leaks from cops happen, but it seems that at least in some scenarios, alleged victims are speaking to the media before the police.

First thing, surely the more that is out there in public, the less likelihood there is of a fair and balanced trial, and secondly, call me a cynic, but I am somewhat skeptical of someone who rushes to the media with a story, yet won't lodge an official complaint with the authorities.

Now we've got to the point where a senator releases a statement saying they (a third party) have forwarded a complaint/allegation to be investigated. I just feel like its the kinda thing where politics and party lines shouldn't even be at play.

While I'm all for victims pursuing legal recourse, I can't help but be bothered by the fact rape allegations seem to be somewhat weaponised by parties across the aisle. Shorten in lead up to recent fed election, Brittany Higgins and now this... I understand leaks from cops happen, but it seems that at least in some scenarios, alleged victims are speaking to the media before the police.

First thing, surely the more that is out there in public, the less likelihood there is of a fair and balanced trial, and secondly, call me a cynic, but I am somewhat skeptical of someone who rushes to the media with a story, yet won't lodge an official complaint with the authorities.

Now we've got to the point where a senator releases a statement saying they (a third party) have forwarded a complaint/allegation to be investigated. I just feel like its the kinda thing where politics and party lines shouldn't even be at play.

You do realise that the woman in this case (letters to political leaders) did go to the police.... in 2019. They stopped their investigation when she suicided in mid 2020. It is likely that the Minister may still be prosecuted BUT the letters here are to get the investigation reopened. These letters are written by people who knew the woman involved.

Your post is partially complaining about people going to the media first..... that is definitely NOT the case here.

Both parties are guilty of misogynistic culture, the difference is one has been addressing this issue for a few years and well the other.... takes no responsibility (for anything).

You do realise that the woman in this case (letters to political leaders) did go to the police.... in 2019. They stopped their investigation when she suicided in mid 2020. It is likely that the Minister may still be prosecuted BUT the letters here are to get the investigation reopened. These letters are written by people who knew the woman involved.

Your post is partially complaining about people going to the media first..... that is definitely NOT the case here.

Both parties are guilty of misogynistic culture, the difference is one has been addressing this issue for a few years and well the other.... takes no responsibility (for anything).
Ah ok, I thought Higgins just went to media without any official investigation. My bad.

Labor conveniently swept the Shorten allegations under the carpet in the lead-up to the election, so for mine both parties are as bad as each other.

Ah ok, I thought Higgins just went to media without any official investigation. My bad.

Labor conveniently swept the Shorten allegations under the carpet in the lead-up to the election, so for mine both parties are as bad as each other.

There have been reports in recent days of the Shorten allegations being investigated at the time by police, and dismissed. Not sure if due to lack of evidence, lack of desire on the alleged victim's part to proceed or other reason. I have no issue with those allegations being raised again. However, one of the more vacuous entities in federal politics (the former member for Corangamite who has since weasled her way into the Senate) seems to have had some degree of input into those allegations suddenly appearing again. And her media statement was called out by Paul Buongiorno, a highly reputable and award-winning political journo. I'm not trying to make this a partisan issue, but there are purely partisan political hacks on all sides, like said "senator" who devalue the process by acting in a tit-for-tat manner. There are significant wastes of space in politics with their snouts in the trough of the public purse, and this particular individual is one of the worst - has a history of claiming credit where it is most certainly not due, and also claiming non-partisanship in the same breath as spewing a multitude of partisan-ship garbage. I guess it just goes to show some of the females in politics are just as useless as most of the males.

Using the sexual abuse of anyone as a political football is disgusting but totally unsurprising😞

Yep, too true. Seems our supposed secular state still sees the state and at least one of the prominent religions happy to use sexual abuse for means other than legal recompense.

There have been reports in recent days of the Shorten allegations being investigated at the time by police, and dismissed. Not sure if due to lack of evidence, lack of desire on the alleged victim's part to proceed or other reason. I have no issue with those allegations being raised again. However, one of the more vacuous entities in federal politics (the former member for Corangamite who has since weasled her way into the Senate) seems to have had some degree of input into those allegations suddenly appearing again. And her media statement was called out by Paul Buongiorno, a highly reputable and award-winning political journo. I'm not trying to make this a partisan issue, but there are purely partisan political hacks on all sides, like said "senator" who devalue the process by acting in a tit-for-tat manner. There are significant wastes of space in politics with their snouts in the trough of the public purse, and this particular individual is one of the worst - has a history of claiming credit where it is most certainly not due, and also claiming non-partisanship in the same breath as spewing a multitude of partisan-ship garbage. I guess it just goes to show some of the females in politics are just as useless as most of the males.
Fair call. Wasn't aware the cops dismissed the Shorten allegation either, I didn't think the matter was even reported to police, hence my mention of it as being politically weaponised etc.

Using the sexual abuse of anyone as a political football is disgusting but totally unsurprising😞
In the USA it has been used numerous times as a weapon at election time. Few remember afterwards - or even care - whether the accusations were well-founded or just made up. As long as they embarrass the candidate and turn enough voters off him (it's usually a him) that he loses the election.

It's a tactic that gets everybody treading on eggshells. On the one hand you don't want to dismiss out of hand any allegations of genuine assaults but on the other hand you don't want the democratic process undermined by dirty tricks like confected allegations of sexual misconduct. And usually there is too little time to get to the bottom of it before the electors have to make up their mind. Even if it is disproven it's a huge distraction to the accused in the middle of an election campaign.

The timing of the Shorten one was certainly suspicious. The timing of this one not so much - there is no election looming over the next few months as far as we know. What I think has brought this one to light is the more open discussion of sexual misconduct in the political arena - discussion that is being had as a result of people like Brittany Higgins going public.

It has been a cascading series of events. Higgins felt empowered to come forward by the naming of Grace Tame as Australian of the Year and not long before that was the much-criticised Four Corners episode about the Canberra Bubble - an episode which now seems pretty relevant after all.

The timing of the Shorten one was certainly suspicious. The timing of this one not so much - there is no election looming over the next few months as far as we know. What I think has brought this one to light is the more open discussion of sexual misconduct in the political arena - discussion that is being had as a result of people like Brittany Higgins going public.

Or an attempt by the Liberals to divert attention away from the hole Morrison is sinking into.

Or an attempt by the Liberals to divert attention away from the hole Morrison is sinking into.
Yes, the current instance of it, certainly.
I meant when it first came to light. I'm pretty sure that it emerged in the lead up to the election.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back