No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never mind HTB and "no prior", I think the bigger AFL crisis right now is what's going to happen to the 2020 season. I'm not sure why there hasn't been more media and BF discussion of this ... but perhaps I'm out of the loop.

• As it stands no Victorian side can go to Qld, SA or WA without spending two weeks in quarantine. At least that's my understanding - correct me if wrong. In fact I think nobody is allowed to visit Perth at all right now.
  • Also no side from outside Victoria can enter Qld within two weeks of having played a Victorian side unless they go through 2 weeks quarantine. That might also apply to SA.
  • Having at least one ground in Melbourne - Whitten Oval - in a lockdown zone for the next month certainly doesn't make life any easier but at least it should count as a workplace so hopefully it won't be too disrupted.
The AFL has been trickle feeding us the fixture, a few rounds at a time. However they are soon going to hit the crunch - when and how are Vic teams going to play the interstate teams? GWS and Sydney seem more manageable at this stage due to NSW keeping the borders open (so far) but the other 6 teams are a challenge.

Below is the 2020 fixture in tabular form where every side plays every other side just once. There is one game shown in red - that's the postponed Ess v Melb game. I'm treating that as having been played, for current purposes. The white cells are the easy games to schedule. They are the ones where a club plays a local rival (eg Adelaide v Port, WB v Richmond, Geelong v Carlton, etc).

The coloured cells (yellow/orange/green) are the tricky ones. They are where a WA, SA or Qld team plays a Vic team. Green means it has already been played (phew!). Orange means it's scheduled in the next three rounds (5-7) and yellow just means there is no date or round announced for that game yet.

To keep it simple I've made all Sydney and GWS cells white because those two teams are allowed to go anywhere and play anyone, and every side is allowed to play in Sydney. However it won't be quite that simple from here on because of the 14-day quarantine requirement in Qld (&SA?) if they've just played a Vic team ... or another side that itself has just played a Vic team.

View attachment 903663

The AFL's problem is that they've been plucking the low-hanging fruit. That is, they've steadily been playing the games in the white cells and very few of those in the coloured cells. This strategy of "taking it three weeks at a time" works if the Covid19 restrictions are steadily eased as the season progresses and/or if rotating hubs can be set up in various cities for blocks of a few weeks at a time without any of the sides having to do a stint in quarantine.

The spike of cases in Victoria and the response from the governments of SA, Qld and potentially NSW has now turned that strategy on its head.

There are 153 H&A games to be played this year. Of those 153 games, 97 (63.4%) are white-cell or easy games and 56 (36.6%) are coloured-cell or tricky games to schedule.

A table probably expresses it best.

View attachment 903667

You can see that only 8.3% of the games played so far are "tricky" ones. By the end of Rd 7 this will have improved to 15.9% but it's still way less than the overall 36.6%.

This means that for the remainder of the season (Rds 8-17) 51.1% of all games still to be played are counted as "tricky" to schedule. And this is with interstate restrictions getting tougher over at least the next month and with Victorian health officials saying the Covid19 spike will get worse before it gets better.

Also if you have a look at the 7 "tricky" games they have scheduled over the next three rounds (orange cells) you have to wonder whether some or all of those will be able to go ahead. All but two of them involve an interstate team playing in Victoria. Will GCS still come to Geelong this week?

And then GWS have to play Port in Rd 6 after playing Hawthorn in Rd 5, and Sydney have to play Brisbane in Rd 7 the week after playing Carlton in Rd 6. As it stands I think they'd both be required to go through a 2-week quarantine period following their game against a Vic side.

I don't know if all my information and assumptions are correct but one thing seems certain - it's a real mess and it's only going to get messier. It looks like the AFL is rapidly painting itself into a corner. Some rounds might have to be delayed or played in a staggered fashion unless they can get creative.

As I see it, one workable option might be to quickly play as many of the easy intra-Victorian games as possible, leaving mostly tricky ones. There are about 20 games left involving Vic teams playing each other so this could be done over about 4 rounds.

Then send all Vic teams interstate for a 2 week quarantine hiatus and after that have them play out the rest of the season (Rds 12-17 plus some or all finals) in interstate hubs.

Another option might be to do it in 2-3 stages. Geelong and Collingwood are already due to head out next month. So maybe another 3 clubs could join them in extended hubs playing only interstate sides, not each other. When those hubs are completed they could come back home and start playing each other while the remaining five Vic sides head interstate to replicate the exercise.

Love it, spreadsheets, data, in-depth analysis. Are you really Antony Green?!

Love it, spreadsheets, data, in-depth analysis. Are you really Antony Green?!
No, but the way the ABC's going he might soon be looking for work!

His skills would add some much needed depth to media analysis of footy and the AFL itself.

With reference to my post on the previous page, I've re-done the fixture matrix so it's a bit more readable.

This new format better illustrates the point I was making about the AFL having scheduled most of the easy games so far (the white cells) and not many of the tricky ones (coloured cells).

That's not really a criticism of the AFL. What else were they to do?

In doing that I've changed the colour scheme of the coloured cells so we can see where the seven scheduled games are due to be played: black = a played game, blue = a scheduled game (Rds 5-7) to be played in Vic, red = a scheduled game to be played in an interstate location (WA/SA/Qld).

I've also coloured the Coll v Geel game as red because it'll be played in Perth.

1593584254068.png

I also noticed I made an error in the summary table. It's even more pronounced than the one I put in the earlier post so it further underlines the challenge. Here are the corrected numbers:

1593584444600.png

Simply put, after Rd 7 over 55% of the games yet to be played are in the "tricky" category, i.e involving Vic teams against a WA, SA or Qld opponent.

Hubs, here we come!

You almost had me convinced you were a Yorkshireman.....almost:p
That's a pretty fair assessment.
There's definitely Yorkshire blood in these veins but I wouldn't have qualified to play cricket for them.

There's definitely Yorkshire blood in these veins but I wouldn't have qualified to play cricket for them.
A number of moons ago, I played several rounds of golf with Geoffrey Boycott. Now there were Yorkshireman. A bigger pain the @$#! its hard to imagine.
Tea totaler an' lived with mother at tiiime...
He hit a fair ball no doubt, but whinge, aye dogwatch you no idea...
'e was in spot o' bother at time, aye, lass didn't take kindly to friendly pat 'n were media 'oundn' 'm...
I was more interested in finding out about that first over battering he copped from Michael Holding back 'n day. "Aye 'e were quick" was all he had to say about it...

I'd qualify, but a total lack of ability would have counted against me. Ba gum

This is outrageous, even by Eddie's standards. Proud of him, liquor he wasn't used to, didn't break protocols until he was in a situation where he didn't know he was breaking them, just had a bad night :tearsofjoy:

And Collingwood wonder why they have a reoccurrence of the rat pack.
Anyone who drank that much while being a professional footballer needs help.... not excuses.

A week for taking an uber, a week for going to someone's house, a week for being picked up by the cops pissed, and a week for being a senior player who should bloody know better.

This is outrageous, even by Eddie's standards. Proud of him, liquor he wasn't used to, didn't break protocols until he was in a situation where he didn't know he was breaking them, just had a bad night :tearsofjoy:

It's beyond belief. I don't know why they bother doing the segment in colour, Eddie only sees black and white.

A week for taking an uber, a week for going to someone's house, a week for being picked up by the cops pissed, and a week for being a senior player who should bloody know better.

I think there's a lot more to it too.

Eddie Maguire's enormous conflict of interest is yet again lay bare for all the world to see.

Its only ever a newsworthy issue when its a player from another club otherwise its...

WateryWarmheartedChick-size_restricted.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the suspensions came from different authorities, but something about Hunter’s & Sidebottom’s indiscretions being the same punishment doesn’t seem right

I know the suspensions came from different authorities, but something about Hunter’s & Sidebottom’s indiscretions being the same punishment doesn’t seem right
Hunter is going to cop it far worse thanks to his criminal charges. I think the equal game suspension is about right. Maybe a little harsh for Sidebottom, but he also got himself into a much worse state, flouted multiple Covid restrictions, and ended up in the hands of the police (just as Hunter did)

Eddie (or a hypothetical defender of Hunter) might just say "oh, he got on the turps and it affected his judgement and things got away from him". But isn't that the whole point? They may be young but they are hideously well paid to play footy. The least they can do is recognise it's a once in a century crisis and show some discipline for the sake of their sport, their club and their community.

The whole AFL industry is under massive financial pressure and it'll be a heck of a lot worse (many many millions of bucks) if they have to cancel the season. Already that season is looking more and more compromised every day. It may even be a spider's dick away from being called off right now for all we know.

If one irresponsible pisspot goes out and gets infected and brings it back to his club and to his teammates that could be the end of proceedings for this year.

Or perhaps the AFL would have to say "sorry we either cancel the season or we suspend your club for the season, so we're going ahead with only 17 teams". I wonder how proud of Sidebottom Eddie would be then?

I like Sidey. Always liked Sidey and from a distance it does seem out of character. Were his drinked inteferred with?.....we may never know......and if they were, by who?.....we can only guess......
The only thing we could be and can always be sure of is that Eddie would find the nearest of many pre-prepard soap boxes and proclaim that there was nothing in it and if there was a Collingwood player would cop his right whack like no other and really they probably commission a statue to him outside the G

Sweet Jesus, McGuire has a hide.

Just ignores the stay at home please, gets on the scotches with a teammate and then wanders around to a former teammates joint and ends up half naked and ‘disoriented’ outside. All good. What’s wrong with that? That’s just a typical night isn’t it?

Eddie (or a hypothetical defender of Hunter) might just say "oh, he got on the turps and it affected his judgement and things got away from him". But isn't that the whole point? They may be young but they are hideously well paid to play footy. The least they can do is recognise it's a once in a century crisis and show some discipline for the sake of their sport, their club and their community.

The whole AFL industry is under massive financial pressure and it'll be a heck of a lot worse (many many millions of bucks) if they have to cancel the season. Already that season is looking more and more compromised every day. It may even be a spider's dick away from being called off right now for all we know.

If one irresponsible pisspot goes out and gets infected and brings it back to his club and to his teammates that could be the end of proceedings for this year.

Or perhaps the AFL would have to say "sorry we either cancel the season or we suspend your club for the season, so we're going ahead with only 17 teams". I wonder how proud of Sidebottom Eddie would be then?

I've always been under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that a bee's appendage was the go-to measurement for very small increments. Is a spider's dick the equivalent to imperial, and the bee metric?

I've always been under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that a bee's appendage was the go-to measurement for very small increments. Is a spider's dick the equivalent to imperial, and the bee metric?
There are two scales - the arachnid scale, where a spider's dick is not quite the smallest measure (that honour goes to the Tiny Mite) but the smallness of the spider's dick might explain why there are fewer spiders around than there are insects.

The other scale is the insecta scale which is much more diverse and descriptive. It includes things like bees dicks, bees knees (a measure of extreme acceptability), ants' pants (a measure of conceit ... nothing to do with BF mods), moths balls (a measure of obsolescence) and blue-arsed flies (a measure of overwork).

For conversion purposes a bee's dick is 0.5416 of a spider's dick. Not that you'd know because the bees you see around the garden are all disgruntled overworked females with very poor superannuation and no chance of ever enjoying it in a comfy retirement. The bees with dicks (the drones) all died of exhaustion - but with a smile on their dial - back in the days of hive creation.

There's also a poufflehair which is a NSW builder's measure for something very small. Dog knows what scale that belongs to.

There are two scales - the arachnid scale, where a spider's dick is not quite the smallest measure (that honour goes to the Tiny Mite) but the smallness of the spider's dick might explain why there are fewer spiders around than there are insects.

The other scale is the insecta scale which is much more diverse and descriptive. It includes things like bees dicks, bees knees (a measure of extreme acceptability), ants' pants (a measure of conceit ... nothing to do with BF mods), moths balls (a measure of obsolescence) and blue-arsed flies (a measure of overwork).

For conversion purposes a bee's dick is 0.5416 of a spider's dick. Not that you'd know because the bees you see around the garden are all disgruntled overworked females with very poor superannuation and no chance of ever enjoying it in a comfy retirement. The bees with dicks (the drones) all died of exhaustion - but with a smile on their dial - back in the days of hive creation.

There's also a poufflehair which is a NSW builder's measure for something very small. Dog knows what scale that belongs to.

There's a book in there somewhere! If ever I hear a show like the Project or one of the plethora of morning tv 'news' programs announce they are crossing to an expert in insect measurement, I will be disappointed if they don't introduce him as dogwatch from Canberra.

(I have noted the conversion value as well. However, is the 0.5416 ratio to an overall average of spiders' appendages, as I assume a red back and a
huntsman may differ somewhat in length/size/volume?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back