No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor move to be honest. I understand this one was a success. But how can you compare it to WA, QLD etc, if you never host it there? Share it around and spread the game around. See how other cities accept it.

Also stuff Port and Crows getting an additional real home game over everyone else. We are lucky to get 6-7 true home games ourselves. Many end up being against teams sharing the same home ground.

Last edited:

Poor move to be honest. I understand this one was a success. But how can you compare it to WA, QLD etc, if you never host it there? Share it around and spread the game around. See how other cities accept it.

Also stuff Port and Crows getting an additional real home game over everyone else
Should of given it to Tasmania

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun
·
2h

Get set for a binding commitment for Adelaide to host Gather Round in a multi-year deal to as long as 2026 as early as today. Negotiations moving fast. It would include a commitment from the AFL, SA governments to fund facilities, community development
Dang would of loved it for it to come over here in Perth.

If that’s the case a showdown HAS to be on that week. Clubs need to kick up a stink about this
A Showdown probably won't happen because the AFL would want to maximise revenue/attendances across the weekend and:
1. If they play 2 Showdowns per year and the one during Gather Round is a 'neutral' game, it means either Port or Adelaide give up easily their biggest drawing home game to split the attendance 50-50 like the other games. I highly doubt that will happen (most logical/fair solution but neither club would be willing to do it and money talks in the AFL).
2. If they play 2 Showdowns per year and the one during Gather Round is a home game for one of the clubs, that particular club still gets 12 home games compared to 11 for the rest of the competition.
3. If they keep the usual 2 Showdowns and play another neutral one during Gather Round, there's 3 games between the sides for the season which can't happen.

A Showdown probably won't happen because the AFL would want to maximise revenue/attendances across the weekend and:
1. If they play 2 Showdowns per year and the one during Gather Round is a 'neutral' game, it means either Port or Adelaide give up easily their biggest drawing home game to split the attendance 50-50 like the other games. I highly doubt that will happen (most logical/fair solution but neither club would be willing to do it and money talks in the AFL).
2. If they play 2 Showdowns per year and the one during Gather Round is a home game for one of the clubs, that particular club still gets 12 home games compared to 11 for the rest of the competition.
3. If they keep the usual 2 Showdowns and play another neutral one during Gather Round, there's 3 games between the sides for the season which can't happen.
3 games between 2 sides might seem illogical but so is giving two teams an extra home game per year.

2. Yes one club still gets an extra home game to the rest of the comp every year but they’re playing it at a neutral venue and it’s miles better than both SA clubs getting a real extra home game every year and 2 clubs being shafted.

Wasn’t very neutral last night when Port were doing their bullshit pregame home game rubbish, at their home ground with a one sided crowd. If they want to keep the showdowns seperate than Gather round can rotate evenly around the country, if they want to keep Gather round in SA it absolutely has to be a showdown there is zero alternative option

2. Yes one club still gets an extra home game to the rest of the comp every year but they’re playing it at a neutral venue and it’s miles better than both SA clubs getting a real extra home game every year and 2 clubs being shafted.

Wasn’t very neutral last night when Port were doing their bullshit pregame home game rubbish, at their home ground with a one sided crowd. If they want to keep the showdowns seperate than Gather round can rotate evenly around the country, if they want to keep Gather round in SA it absolutely has to be a showdown there is zero alternative option
I don't disagree with you. I'm just guessing how the AFL are thinking.

If they were truly worried about fairness, every club should obviously only play a maximum 11 home games (I think the ideal solution is either a neutral Showdown or as I said elsewhere make both SA Gather Round games home games but then they play a game against the same club at a neutral venue in another round). Playing a Gather Round Showdown as a home game for one of the Adelaide sides would be a half solution.

Fully agree that the AFL calling last night 'neutral' was complete bullshit. Other than having a few less Port members in the crowd, it was identical to a normal Port home game right down to the stupid song they play - they weren't even pretending.

My brother in Phoenix is watching this Hawthorn/GWS match. He's amazed at the size of the ground with only 5000 seated for a professional sporting event. Should I tell him about the total crowd of 7300 in the Adelaide Hills yesterday?

I just don't get what this round is all about. It seems like amateur hour as a weekend break from the usual. I'm sure this game is a sellout. I had more people at my Bar Mitzvah.(I had to bring that one back for old tyme sake.)

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s locked in, 1 bonus is that I will likely plan to make it a weekend away.

Therefore, I can’t wait until gather round 2024 where we will take on the Crows

To be honest, I was hoping it would be moved around. Head up North to escape the early cold weather. Or go to Perth where I have never been before. As someone who has been to Adelaide heaps to see Grandparents, nothing much there excites me. Clearly the SA government promised the AFL some juicy coin to keep it there. Now watch Port and Adelaide get an additional proper home game giving them a potential 4 point advantage in the premiership race. On the bright side, it is more likely we will play neutral teams for the next three years since we had Port this time around.

My brother in Phoenix is watching this Hawthorn/GWS match. He's amazed at the size of the ground with only 5000 seated for a professional sporting event. Should I tell him about the total crowd of 7300 in the Adelaide Hills yesterday?

I just don't get what this round is all about. It seems like amateur hour as a weekend break from the usual. I'm sure this game is a sellout. I had more people at my Bar Mitzvah.(I had to bring that one back for old tyme sake.)

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s to bring $85million (allegedly) into the state in the space of 4 days, to benefit… someone… and also the vibe…

I don’t get all the fuss about Gather Round, they are acting like it is some monumental achievement to host these games across 4 days. Also a pet peeve of mine is anybody wearing colours of another team to a game when they aren’t playing, yet this is now being celebrated?

Also a pet peeve of mine is anybody wearing colours of another team to a game when they aren’t playing, yet this is now being celebrated?
I did it as 16 year old at an NFL game and got absolutely hammered with hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back