No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1973 Footscray and Hawthorn played an end of season game (Sun 23 Sept) at Manuka Oval. It was the Sunday before the VFL Grand final. We won by a point. I think the winner received $1,000. I remember sitting on the concrete steps at the Manuka pool end, being completely awestruck that my team had come to my town. The record which I still have, claimed both teams as "glamour teams". We had some pretty handy players on the team and the Hawks listed Matthews, Scott, Moncreiff and Crimmins. I can't remember who actually played.

Interesting. Kelvin Templeton listed, wearing no. 34!

Has anyone seriously rated Brisbanes home and away record. Good team no doubt, but the different between their record at the Gabba and the record away is jarring. Isn’t surprising the only year they made a grand final was the year they had both their previous finals at home.

Even then, the real deal teams would always beat them up there anyway. Richmond 2019, GWS 2019, Geelong 2020, Us 2021. All of those teams made the grand final that year.
A few teams finish a few spots higher than they should.

Cats and lions 2 examples.

And using cats as an example, they have a shocking conversion rate for flags, which indicates that they finish higher than they should most years due to home ground advantage.

I did a detailed summary a while back but CBF looking it up.

In 1973 Footscray and Hawthorn played an end of season game (Sun 23 Sept) at Manuka Oval. It was the Sunday before the VFL Grand final. We won by a point. I think the winner received $1,000. I remember sitting on the concrete steps at the Manuka pool end, being completely awestruck that my team had come to my town. The record which I still have, claimed both teams as "glamour teams". We had some pretty handy players on the team and the Hawks listed Matthews, Scott, Moncreiff and Crimmins. I can't remember who actually played.

Interesting. Kelvin Templeton listed, wearing no. 34!

Templeton, Jennings and Geischen made the trip as Gippsland boys with potential, from our zone.

Thorpe's last game in our colours, although with what I've seen in recent interviews with him, good riddance. I used to have some sympathy for how he was set up by a committee man and Bob Rose at the end of 73. But I met him in person when my dad bought a new XB Falcon from Col Paige Ford in Nov 1975, and Thorpe was a "salesman". Think they had to widen their office doors to fit his ego through them. He's done nothing but trash the club every time he's spoken, just a bitter old man. It's a win for his former team mates that he doesn't bother attending past players functions. Bit like Bones McGhie. Western suburbs born and bred, both of them, but they can both go f*** themselves. (While that's my sentiment, I spoke to an ex team-mate of theirs a couple of times years ago from the late 60s/early 70s era - when I said "David Thorpe" he laughed and said "who? Ah yeah, I remember now, haven't seen him since he disappeared up his own ar5ehole"!)

Thorpe started the trend of reigning captains to bail on the club.
Followed by Dempsey, Templeton, Edmond and Griffen. All for different reasons.
Dempsey wanted to play regular finals (not as someone posted on here recently sold off by the club)
Templeton wanted to play under Barassi, but was also partly miffed at Hampshire being appointed coach, and Beasley being a well-paid recruit. Kelvin was led to believe by someone at the club he was a possibility to become captain-coach, missed out, then Melbourne/Barassi came knocking during the 82 season throwing $$$ around for him and Collingwood captain Peter Moore.
Edmond left over a club stuff up/misunderstanding, club was trying to tie up other contracts, delayed Jock's, and he thought he wasn't wanted. Edelsten/Swans happy to snap up a bloody good player, but he and Capper didn't work as smoothly as the Beasley combo, and the smaller SCG didn't suit Jock's game.
Think most on here remember the Griffen/McCartney saga...

Sorry, went off on another rant/ramble. Think I've got some clouds to yell at.... 😄🤔

Sweet has done some things tonight I didn’t think he was capable of.

Just sprinted 50m out of the centre bounce to lay a block for Butters after initially winning the hit out.

His link up play has improved significantly since he last played AFL. I have been impressed with how he has played tonight.

He's probably still behind Soldo and it's going to be hard to play them both in any serious game but I hope he gets a long run of games at some stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few teams finish a few spots higher than they should.

Cats and lions 2 examples.

And using cats as an example, they have a shocking conversion rate for flags, which indicates that they finish higher than they should most years due to home ground advantage.

I did a detailed summary a while back but CBF looking it up.
If it’s worth two wins a year then that’s the difference between missing the eight and not or finishing top four or not.

Given their many disappointing finals exits you’d have to wonder how they’d have gone if they shared their home ground with five or six other clubs.

His link up play has improved significantly since he last played AFL. I have been impressed with how he has played tonight.

He's probably still behind Soldo and it's going to be hard to play them both in any serious game but I hope he gets a long run of games at some stage
Soldo is out for a month so if he’s ever going to make it, it’s going to be over this next patch. Clear run at the number 1 ruck with an elite midfield around him, it’s all set up to perform.

And the crowd threatens to riot any time St Kilda gets paid a free. Umpires doing the only sensible thing to make sure they get home in one piece.
It continues unabated in the 4th quarter.

There was even a contested mark on the wing a few minutes ago where the umpire called “play on” as the ball went up in the air off the pack but when a Port player grabbed it as it came down he paid the mark.

Templeton, Jennings and Geischen made the trip as Gippsland boys with potential, from our zone.

Thorpe's last game in our colours, although with what I've seen in recent interviews with him, good riddance. I used to have some sympathy for how he was set up by a committee man and Bob Rose at the end of 73. But I met him in person when my dad bought a new XB Falcon from Col Paige Ford in Nov 1975, and Thorpe was a "salesman". Think they had to widen their office doors to fit his ego through them. He's done nothing but trash the club every time he's spoken, just a bitter old man. It's a win for his former team mates that he doesn't bother attending past players functions. Bit like Bones McGhie. Western suburbs born and bred, both of them, but they can both go f*** themselves. (While that's my sentiment, I spoke to an ex team-mate of theirs a couple of times years ago from the late 60s/early 70s era - when I said "David Thorpe" he laughed and said "who? Ah yeah, I remember now, haven't seen him since he disappeared up his own ar5ehole"!)

Thorpe started the trend of reigning captains to bail on the club.
Followed by Dempsey, Templeton, Edmond and Griffen. All for different reasons.
Dempsey wanted to play regular finals (not as someone posted on here recently sold off by the club)
Templeton wanted to play under Barassi, but was also partly miffed at Hampshire being appointed coach, and Beasley being a well-paid recruit. Kelvin was led to believe by someone at the club he was a possibility to become captain-coach, missed out, then Melbourne/Barassi came knocking during the 82 season throwing $$$ around for him and Collingwood captain Peter Moore.
Edmond left over a club stuff up/misunderstanding, club was trying to tie up other contracts, delayed Jock's, and he thought he wasn't wanted. Edelsten/Swans happy to snap up a bloody good player, but he and Capper didn't work as smoothly as the Beasley combo, and the smaller SCG didn't suit Jock's game.
Think most on here remember the Griffen/McCartney saga...

Sorry, went off on another rant/ramble. Think I've got some clouds to yell at.... 😄🤔

I've heard stories about Templeton that portray him in a more sympathetic light - that he knew his knee was stuffed and that he encouraged the club to get something for him when Melbourne came knocking.

Incidentally, I was at the Western Oval in 1985 when KT lined up against us. Melbourne's team that day included three Brownlow Medalists: Peter Moore, plus Templeton and Brian Wilson, both former Dogs players. Templeton was well and truly over the hill, and we pumped the Dees by exactly twenty goals. Beaza bagged the lazy dozen. One of my finest days at the footy, although I did feel sorry for Kelvin. He was my idol at primary school, and I proudly wore his number 31.

Definitely. But the opposition doesn’t lose their bench very often.

I actually can’t believe they haven’t run them down.

They've been awful all night. Hasn't been any extended period of play that they have looked good. Ports inaccuracy the only thing that saved it from being another 50 point loss

Enough exposed form to conclude they are bad this year.

I think so, in their defense it was only two weeks ago they nearly beat GWS in Canberra.

They weren’t great against Essendon and Richmond before that even with a win and a tight loss and the last two weeks have been horrendous. Could probably trick themselves into thinking today’s performance was better than it was. Only last by 10 and copped a proper reaming by the men in yellow but they got smoked in all major statistical categories and failed the eye test.

I don’t mind a lot of their younger guys. Owens, Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera and Wilson all show a bit but are probably a few seasons away from being really influential. Not a big Phillipou guy but he is still young and could come good. Just don’t see enough talent from the older guys to see a turnaround. Steele sucked tonight but is a gun, Sinclair is good, Wilkie is very good, Marshall is good and King is very good. Everyone else is a bit meh. Higgins bad stuff almost outweighs the good at times, same is true for Hill. Membrey isn’t the player he was three years ago, Ross has always been meh, the Cordy/Howard/Bonner/Webster types scream mediocrity.

They’re stuck fairly deep in no man’s land really. Not going to be able to dig their way out fast. Just got to hope that some of those young players make a jump sooner than expected. In an alternative reality they have Bontempelli and Petracca and a couple of flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back