Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he knows how to keep shape out there.

I quite liked the look of his leg spin a couple of years ago

It's hard road to first class cricket, especially as a spinner. Years and years of hard toil

I quite liked the look of his leg spin a couple of years ago

It's hard road to first class cricket, especially as a spinner. Years and years of hard toil

We prefer cricket nuffy
tenor.gif

SYDNEY veteran Luke Parker will be unavailable for the next six games after he was hit with a monster ban by the VFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

The midfielder was sent straight to the Tribunal following an incident against Frankston on Friday night at Kinetic Stadium.

Parker was charged with rough conduct after he elected to bump Dolphin Josh Smith late, leaving him with significant facial fractures and concussion that will sideline him for between six and eight weeks.

Anyone see through the paywall and know what this is about? (AdelaideNow article)

Port Adelaide premiership hero Byron Pickett sues AFL Players’ Association and ex-agent​

He led Port Adelaide to its only AFL flag and now twenty years later, he’s got nothing to show for more than a decade playing at footy’s highest level.

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life.
For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money.

Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player.

But 20 years on, the Power’s 2004 premiership hero still rents his home and has nothing to show for his 11-year footy career as a household name renowned for his booming kick and physical play.

He has spent much of that time trying to explain to his children why they haven’t enjoyed the spoils of having a former professional athlete as their parent.

“The kids asked me over the years: ‘Where’s the money? What happened? What did you do?’,” Pickett told The Advertiser.
“Dad, you played AFL for 11 years but we don’t even have a car, we don’t have a house.

“Where’s all the money gone? I didn’t have an answer for them.”

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.
Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life.
For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money.

Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player.

But 20 years on, the Power’s 2004 premiership hero still rents his home and has nothing to show for his 11-year footy career as a household name renowned for his booming kick and physical play.

He has spent much of that time trying to explain to his children why they haven’t enjoyed the spoils of having a former professional athlete as their parent.

“The kids asked me over the years: ‘Where’s the money? What happened? What did you do?’,” Pickett told The Advertiser.

Former Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association and his ex-agent Kym Richardson over hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages allegedly stolen from him. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin

Former Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association and his ex-agent Kym Richardson over hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages allegedly stolen from him. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin
“Dad, you played AFL for 11 years but we don’t even have a car, we don’t have a house.

“Where’s all the money gone? I didn’t have an answer for them.”

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.

Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

Kym Richardson represented Pickett from 2001 to 2007. Picture: Supplied
The claim alleges the AFLPA was “negligent and in breach of its duty of care to Byron” by not having provisions included in regulations “governing the conduct of player agents” while Mr Richardson acted for Pickett from 2001 to 2007.

It alleges Pickett has suffered loss equal to at least the cash amount allegedly withdrawn from the account because of the AFLPA’s “negligence” and that Port Adelaide raised concerns with the AFLPA in 2005 about Mr Richardson’s conduct.

In a defence lodged with the Supreme Court, the AFLPA denies breaching its duty of care.

According to the defence, an AFLPA representative who met with Pickett and Port Adelaide staff in 2005, noted “Kym has Byron’s best interests at heart”.

Mr Richardson, who has not lodged a defence, was contacted for comment through his lawyers but did not respond.

An AFLPA spokeswoman said the association would not comment on the allegations before the court.
Pickett said he will continue to pursue the legal action to “get back what I deserve”.

“I’m not actually doing it for myself,” he said.

“I’m doing it for my kids, for my family.”

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...

What an absolute dill.

Tarryn Thomas charged over ‘harassing phone calls’ to ex​

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged by police over a series of allegedly harassing phone calls made to an ex-partner.

The Herald Sun revealed on May 10 that police were investigating Thomas after he allegedly called an estranged girlfriend, multiple times during the day and night.

It’s believed the alleged calls were made after Thomas was cut by the Kangaroos and handed an 18-match suspension by the AFL after conduct breaches, including allegedly threatening the same woman on social media.
The shocking messages were revealed by The Herald Sun in February.
“And for them girls I abuse I would do again,” Thomas wrote to the woman.

“After what they did to me if you do me wrong I will let you have it.”

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police executed a search warrant at an Ormond property on Tuesday.

“Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls,” she said.

“Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11.15am.

“The man was arrested and charged with use telecommunications service to harass.”

Thomas was bailed to appear at the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on November 21.
Surely this is the nail in the coffin for any return.

He just needs to concentrate on becoming a better person with some serious counselling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw some of the stuff Richardson was accused of when Pickett first went public and it is pretty s**t behaviour.

Pickett didn't do a lot of schooling and was an easy target

Sad story but not really sure its the AFLPA's problem?

Any reason why there wouldn't be criminal charges.

This was my first reaction but today players can only hire AFLPA accredited player agents, so if it was like that back then maybe there is something to it.

Maybe he can claim something like the AFLPA accredited a dodgy agent.

Reading between the lines, probably unfairly, I wonder if most of the cash was actually stolen and spent by the agent, or was it used in the property deals Pickett says he didn't understand at the time.

I kind of lean towards if you agreed to something you didn't understand, that's on you for not finding out.

But maybe he was lied to or deliberately confused, and as an accredited agent I guess you take their word for it.

It's a pretty sad situation though and I'm sure it has happened to many players before and after him.

He says he was on $284,000 before tax while at Port, after tax, in early 2000's money, it's probably enough to set you up for life if smart with it, which I guess you trust an agent to do, but also not enough to be able to be wasteful or having agents and whoever else getting their cut, plus bad investments and have a lot left.

Every contract should almost include a portion that can only be used to get independent legal advice and a little left over for independent supplement testing in case you're drafted to early 2010's Essendon, removes the excuses.

Last edited:
SYDNEY veteran Luke Parker will be unavailable for the next six games after he was hit with a monster ban by the VFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

The midfielder was sent straight to the Tribunal following an incident against Frankston on Friday night at Kinetic Stadium.

Parker was charged with rough conduct after he elected to bump Dolphin Josh Smith late, leaving him with significant facial fractures and concussion that will sideline him for between six and eight weeks.

Lucky he only smashed his face to pieces, if Parker had called him a mean name then he would have copped 8 weeks.

He's probably not breached contract or committed fraud. I think the argument is that the contract itself was inadequate to protect Pickett's interests and the AFLPA should have been alert to potential issues and perhaps standardised contracts. Or had a review system in place.

Anyone looking for a new footy podcast and are fans of Aunty Donna, Broden Kelly does a cool footy podcast and gets some great guests on. Just listened to the Dwayne Russell ep and honestly Dwayne has a great sense of humour and good stories in and outside of footy (his son owns a piano bar in Geelong, daughter is a pilot, so some interesting stories there).

Anyone looking for a new footy podcast and are fans of Aunty Donna, Broden Kelly does a cool footy podcast and gets some great guests on. Just listened to the Dwayne Russell ep and honestly Dwayne has a great sense of humour and good stories in and outside of footy (his son owns a piano bar in Geelong, daughter is a pilot, so some interesting stories there).
Dwayne…

Aunty Donna Reaction GIF

1716370006209.png

Thanks buddy. 👊👊👊 Amazing tip champ👆👆👆. :handok::handok::handok::raisedhands::raisedhands::raisedhands: Keep it :100:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back